Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
s/o How do you define success for your children?

Someone pointed out in another thread that the amount of money someone makes is not a measure of their success and that there are other things that point to it. I agree for the most part, but still see income as something that CAN be measured easily.

What do you think? What are your major goals for your children? How do you define success for them? Is it happiness? Is it money? Is it education? A family?

Spill it.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Love for himself and a partner/family if he chooses, and happiness in what he does; be it at work, in life, what have you.

Do I want him to have a job that makes his life comfy? That could be nice I suppose, but I'd much rather he enjoy what he does, whether it be a minimum wage job, or nicely paid career. I know I'd rather be broke and happy, than rich and miserable.

If he's proud of himself and his life, I will be as well. Seems pretty successful to me.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
branman1986
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: s/o How do you define success for your children?

Healthy, happy, and pursuing goals that are meaningful. He will definitely need to get at least a college degree, though, or there'll be hell to pay.
branman1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Love for himself and a partner/family if he chooses, and happiness in what he does; be it at work, in life, what have you.

Do I want him to have a job that makes his life comfy? That could be nice I suppose, but I'd much rather he enjoy what he does, whether it be a minimum wage job, or nicely paid career. I know I'd rather be broke and happy, than rich and miserable.

If he's proud of himself and his life, I will be as well. Seems pretty successful to me.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using DS Forum
My thoughts exactly for my DD and any future children I may have. My main want for my DD is for her to be happy!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Success, to me, is being able to happily achieve the goals she sets for herself.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman1986 View Post
Healthy, happy, and pursuing goals that are meaningful. He will definitely need to get at least a college degree, though, or there'll be hell to pay.
This. Though at this point I'd be happy with more talking and getting out of diapers. And, I expect graduate school (if he can/not want). We're trying to save so he can go and he will have at a minimum the prepaid fund for college so he's getting packed up and moved out at 18 (well, hopefully a few weeks before) and dropped off at college. He can "move" back home for a while after graduate school. I tell him now he's getting evicted at 18 and going to college - I get a giggle.

Oh, and I want a grandchild - especially a girl!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Happiness, compassion, and self-sufficiency. I want my children to be able to support themselves so they are never "stuck" somewhere or with someone they don't want to be. I want them to be genuinely happy. And I want them to be compassionate towards all living things and their environment.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
phobiafied
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only measure that I have for success is happiness. I want my kids to be confident, loving, and always doing what makes them truly happy. This doesn't involve wealth to me in any way, however having money certainly does make it easier for some people to achieve what they want and live in comfort. I know quite a few people with money who have little to no happiness in their lives, and I think it's part of the school of thinking that money = success and that happiness and enrichment should naturally follow. This is pretty much the opposite of true in my thinking. Enrich yourself, love yourself, do what you can for others, and that's where happiness comes from. When you are a positive person, you attract everything you need to achieve what you want. You can absolutely have amazing life changing experiences and fulfill all of your goals on a po' man's budget, you just may have to be creative in thinking of how to accomplish it.

Hope I made some sense, I just woke up and I haven't had my coffee yet.
phobiafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
phobiafied
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Arg. Double post... told you I was tired still.

Last edited by phobiafied; 08-22-2011 at 12:11 PM.
phobiafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That was me

I just tend to think that just because someone is well off financially, has a stable well paying job, and doesn't struggle with material things, it doesn't mean they are happy or really doing well.

And someone else could have just enough to get by, living in circumstances that others may consider not being well off at all, yet be content.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote