Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
tamarak
Registered Users

premature twins born at 25-26wks

Although these are my nephews I am looking for any kind of advice I can pass on to my brother and his gf as they cope with the very early birth of their twin boys. They have been told that the one may not make as he may be brain dead due to bleeding in his brain and his brain being compressed to one side. He is still unable to receive breastmilk as they say that his stomach and intestines are not yet developed. They weren't allowed to touch him most of the day yesterday as his blood pressure would sky rocket. Now I am no doctor but would that kind of response to touch not mean there is brain activity??
The other one, who was 2oz heavier at birth is receiving breast milk but was taken told for minor surgery this morning as he has a small hole in his intestines.
I just feel there must be something that can help these babies to pull through this incredibly difficult start to life. But the two things that I know aren't options as they aren't able to be breastfed or held, so I am looking for any advice/experiences of anyone who has gone through a similar situation that I can pass along. Thank you so much for you time and for reading.

Advertisement

tamarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
classysassyme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: premature twins born at 25-26wks

Talk to them, and pray pray pray. They have been listening totheir voices since th beginning, tell them how much you love them. I will pray and so will my Bible study group.
classysassyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Birth at the edges of viability is so difficult. My boys came at 27 weeks which statistically is far better than 25 or 26 weeks. A lot of babies born at that gestation dont make it. The most important thing for mom and dad is to spend as much time with their babies as possible. Every minute is precious because sometimes there are not a lot of them. Prayer and unobtrusive support will do wonders for the family. Remove all unnecessary responsibility from them (running their household, food prep, pet or other child care, transportation). Get a food tree going so they don't have to worry about food at home. Or start a restaurant gift card collection so they don't have to go far from the hospital to eat.

Medically, brain bleeds are very common and very traumatic for that gestation. Minimal stimulation is standard practice. Biological reaction to stimulation (rising blood pressure) is not a reliable sign of neurological function because the change in vital signs is caused by a number of chemical pathways, not necessarily by the brain saying 'hey something is touching me.' NEC and intestinal perforation is another common complication and one in which we suffered. No surgery at that weight and gestation is minor. Both bleeds and NEC can have life long consequences.

Last edited by newtwinmom; 08-22-2011 at 09:02 PM.
newtwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarak View Post
Although these are my nephews I am looking for any kind of advice I can pass on to my brother and his gf as they cope with the very early birth of their twin boys. They have been told that the one may not make as he may be brain dead due to bleeding in his brain and his brain being compressed to one side. He is still unable to receive breastmilk as they say that his stomach and intestines are not yet developed. They weren't allowed to touch him most of the day yesterday as his blood pressure would sky rocket. Now I am no doctor but would that kind of response to touch not mean there is brain activity??
The other one, who was 2oz heavier at birth is receiving breast milk but was taken told for minor surgery this morning as he has a small hole in his intestines.
I just feel there must be something that can help these babies to pull through this incredibly difficult start to life. But the two things that I know aren't options as they aren't able to be breastfed or held, so I am looking for any advice/experiences of anyone who has gone through a similar situation that I can pass along. Thank you so much for you time and for reading.
First of all let me offer hugs. My neices were born at 24 weeks. They each weighed about 1lb. Unfortunately we lost joceyln but it was because she had an infection in utero and they suspect that was the reason they were born early. Annabelle on the other hand was a fighter from the start and after many surgeries and lots of prayers and love she is now a happy healthly 3year old who just celebrated a birthday and started preschool. As far as advice i dont have much i know that it is a difficult road to travel and that your family will need support. I just want you to know that even though their story is sad it is a testament that micro preimies can make it and survive to have happy normal lives. im so sorry that your family is going through this it may very well be the hardest thing that they ever go through and they will be in my thoughts as they go through this difficult time.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My sister had her twin boys almost 4 weeks ago at 29 weeks gestation. Even with those extra few weeks they were not given any breastmilk for 4 or 5 days after birth (they were 3 lbs 1 oz and 3 lbs 6 oz) and even once they started them on some breastmilk it was tiny drops at a time. We were also told the same thing with stimulating them. It was several days before we were able to do anything more than lay a finger on their arms or legs a few times a day because they didn't want them too stimulated.

I think, like others have said, a lot of prayers and just sitting with them spending whatever time they can with them. We've also learned, spending so much time in the NICU, that it seems for every big break and step forward we see there is then 1 step back and it's been very discouraging to think things were going great only to go in the next day and have them back on more oxygen or have their feedings cut way back.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
LittleLady8
Registered Users
seller

put mom's milk on a guaze pad and set it next to the babies. they know mom's scent mom can also 'cuddle' with a piece of their bedding or blanket then put it in the incubator.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any updates on those little guys?