Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Nail Clipping?

My dd (19 mo) HATES having her nails clipped. When she was smaller I'd clip them while she napped or while I was nursing her. Now she's too smart for that and I need help! I let her see the clippers and hold them so she's not afraid of them. I let her see me clip my own nails with them first, sings songs, try and make a game of it... nothing works! Every time she screams bloody murder, you'd think I was torturing the poor kid. And when it's finally over, she's right as rain again and you'd never know anything was ever bothering her!

Advertisement

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nail Clipping?

My kids never really had a problem with this, but a friend of mine had a daughter who hated it at that age. I clipped her nails one day with no trouble though. I'm not sure what I did differently than my friend, so I'll just tell you what I do and if it's different, maybe you can try it.

I sit them on my lap, their back to my chest, and clip them.

Another thought is to try nail scissors instead of clippers.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
hikergal73
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD usually wants to hold the clippers while I am doing them so I sit her on my lap and then queue up something on YouTube like Elmo or a clip from one of my favorite (kid-friendly) musicals.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

When DD was about that age & hit that stage with them, we turned it into a mommy & me pedicure time at home She "helps" give me a pedicure and I give her one..we do little foot scrubs together at bath time, I really do the pumice stone on my feet and she pretends to use a little one on her feet, then we do lotion, I clip my nails then hers, and then she gets nail polish on her toes...we did clear for a long time, now she gets to pick a color. She HATES having her nails clipped if she's completely sitting up or sitting on my lap though, she likes to lean back against pillows on the bed or couch, and have her feet or hands in my lap.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
When DD was about that age & hit that stage with them, we turned it into a mommy & me pedicure time at home She "helps" give me a pedicure and I give her one..we do little foot scrubs together at bath time, I really do the pumice stone on my feet and she pretends to use a little one on her feet, then we do lotion, I clip my nails then hers, and then she gets nail polish on her toes...we did clear for a long time, now she gets to pick a color. She HATES having her nails clipped if she's completely sitting up or sitting on my lap though, she likes to lean back against pillows on the bed or couch, and have her feet or hands in my lap.
Oh I LOVE this idea!!

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

My son will let me to his nails but not his toe nails. I have two of the infant clippers so I give him one and usually the iPod/pad or the remote with Super Why on it. I usually have to pin his leg with mine and do it quickly. He used to scream for a brief while with the fingers but now he's good about it so hopefully for you its just a phase.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
purna079
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe let her munch on a cookie or something
OoBeeSoap.com
purna079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
qtytot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When DD was younger, I had to clip her nails while she naps because she cried hard. I did show her clipping my nails but she says no and cries. When she got clean and dirty in her vocabulary, I just said her nails were dirty and we had to clip them to clean. It is the same about bath, cleaning her ears, etc. I saw ewww dirty and ok lets clean/wash.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
cbreeding
Registered Users

Hasn't been an issue with my youngest, but my oldest was a lot like this. Even now she kind of whines about it.

The one incentive to having her nails clipped was that after, she got to have them painted. Only on the toes though because she still had teeth coming in at 18mths and would stick her fingers in her mouth. She always wanted her fingers done, and I told her when she could sit still for a whole clipping without complaining AND she stopped putting her fingers in her mouth we would paint them. By two she was able to do both.

Personal preference, but she can wear dark colors on her toes, but only clear or with a very light tint on her fingernails.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Started off playing the "This little piggy" game with DS's toes. Once he was hooked, I started clipping the nails as we counted each toe. Then we moved to hands, too. Now he runs to the drawer and tries to pry the clippers out around the drawer lock so we can "clip the claws" and play piggies.

Typically, unless a little one has actually had their skin pinched, the big issue is sitting still and having their hand/foot restrained. If clipping is a problem, perhaps he'll tolerate a file instead? Takes longer (and may have to be done every day for a while if the nails are getting pretty long), but may be worth it if he doesn't fuss and fight.

Last edited by Sha-nanagins; 08-23-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote