Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If your baby reacted to cows milk, how and how soon?

Yesterday we started adding a bit of cows milk to the boys' bottles (.5-1oz out of a 4.5 oz bottle). We have been offering it straight at one meal a day with no trouble, but today they seem awful clingy and there was definitely more screaming to be heard this morning. No eczema flares, no puking, no diarrhea. They slept better last night then they have in weeks.

Would we be seeing a reaction to that much milk by now? If your LO reacted, how long did it take to know and what did their reaction look like?

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If your baby reacted to cows milk, how and how soon?

How old are they?

DS got some cow's milk from about 12 months on and was fine, but he self-weaned pretty quickly at 15 months (I'm guessing because I'm pregnant). When he weaned, he was suddenly getting a lot more cow's milk, and started having reactions within a week - eczema flare-ups, and he went from pooping once a day to pooping 8-12 times a day. He also was waking up more at night. As soon as we cut out the milk, all the issues resolved themselves. HTH.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is lactose intolerant and has been from birth. Are they pooping? DD's reaction was constipation. So it takes as long as it takes for a poop build up to occur. Then the screaming begins and continues until she takes a couple of poops. At 4 this is no longer that big of an issue- doesn't drink milk, eat cheese or butter, but we don't avoid it like we use to. So it is possible if its causing constipation that it could take a anywhere from a couple of hours to a week/week and half if that is the issue.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Lisathena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD reacted in week 2 of her life, i nursed her so i had to cut out all dairy for over a year. She is now 16months and i am finally able to give her some bits of cheese...i will never do cows milk or ice cream...
Lisathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
crazykerry
Registered Users

DS reacted within his second week of life. At 12 months, I tried him on a spoonful of yogurt. Within hours, there was bloody stools. We tried again at 15 months and same thing. At 18 months, magically the allergy disappeared. He now drinks milk on a regular basis and has no problems.
crazykerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Hopetobe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisathena
DD reacted in week 2 of her life, i nursed her so i had to cut out all dairy for over a year. She is now 16months and i am finally able to give her some bits of cheese...i will never do cows milk or ice cream...
For babieswho have issues with dairy, docs tend to think it is a milk protein allergy, which babies often outgrow anywhere from 7 mo to (I think it was) 2yo. Some guess it's specifically the casein protein that they have trouble with (because both human milk and cow's milk have whey protein, but the casein is one of the major differences in those milks). Also, at least with BM, goats milk eaten by mom is often tolerated when cow's milk is not. Someone told me recently that cheese has high amounts of casein in it, so if she can do cheese fine now, then perhaps she can do other dairy, like yogurt maybe? My ds reacted to cow's milk in my diet, but not goat's milk.
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

ODS was fine with breastmilk (I drank lots of dairy), he had formula and was fine... when we switched to whole milk at 12mo he was the CRABBIEST baby EVER!!! It was like Jekyl and Hyde! (sp?!) I took him off of it until 14mo-ish and gave lactose free milk and he fine then we re-introduced it to him and he took it better.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

I pumped and only got 1/4 of his intake for 5.5 months, but he didn't have an issue with ME consuming dairy.

At 7 months, I tried to give him yogurt, it was a no go. At 9 months, I tried to give him raw cow milk cheese (thinking homogenization and pasteurization was a partial issue), and it was a no go. He's been able to tolerate goat milk and sheep milk products though.... now at 12 months, I've started re-introducing a tiny little bit, and he hasn't had a reaction at all. Cheese products in stuff and milk products in stuff.
Before, the reaction was diarrhea, and rashes immediately on his face.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
CJsNatureMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My breastmilk dried up at 3 months so we tried formula and she reacted almost immediately. She started vomiting and was just miserable. So we switched to the lactose free formula that same day and it was better but after a few days she became very constipated and the eczema was starting. We treated the symptoms individually (prune juice for the constipation, creams for the eczema) but they were persistent. Because I'm sensitive to dairy her ped. suggested we switch her to soy and we did. Within two weeks the symptoms disappeared.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
lisapang
Registered Users
seller

If they are handling straight milk once a day, then I would bet that the clingy, crabby behavior is just a coincidence. My daughter is sensitive to milk and she would get diarrhea and eczema almost immediately if I gave her anything with cows milk in it.
lisapang is offline   Reply With Quote