Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
eileenchew
Registered Users
seller

My son hated cereal and refused to eat them, so we skipped and went straight to fruits and veggies!

Advertisement

eileenchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
pp8518
Registered Users

Re: Do I need to give him cereal?

How old before you can start them on rice cereal?
pp8518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
eileenchew
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp8518
How old before you can start them on rice cereal?
Depending on your child, but you could potentially start at 4 months IF he/she is ready
eileenchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we mixed some into the purees that were really thin (gerber) other than that, I just couldn't do it. they smell, and are like paste.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

OK I use the cereal as thickner and it has iron in it have you thought about avacado's
They work really well as a first food.
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
You don't need to give either cereal or purees if your kiddo is six months! There's a lot of info on baby-led solids in this forum, which might be something to look into.

As far as the iron, I believe that research indicates that in BF'd babies, if mom has sufficient iron, baby will as well. For FF'd babies, formula has all the iron they need.

The history behind the rice cereal thing:
Back in the early 1900s, there was a scientific revolution with all sorts of new discoveries. The motto for anyone "educated" was pretty much "better living through science." Formula became the "scientific" way to feed babies. Unfortunately formula (and think of the name--refers to the fact that every lab/ped/etc. had a different formula of things that needed to go into it) didn't actually contain everything a baby needed to grow at that point and additional food supplementation became necessary for babies to be healthy, hence the introduction of complementary foods at very young ages. Cereals and then purees were the only way to do that because if you're trying to get "solids" into a baby that's only six weeks old, they haven't developed any of the muscles necessary to manipulate food/chew/swallow/etc. (Their guts also haven't developed the ability to process it, but that wasn't even thought of.) Fast forward to a "more enlightened" LOL time, and we know it's better for baby's digestive system to wait to intro solids... but we're still feeding them like they're two months old.

/info geek
Kristie, you're awesome! I heart you.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
Fitbaby1
Registered Users
seller

Yup. I think the baby cereal thing has deep roots like the pp said. Just like laboring on your back in the US--lol! Anemia in children is a big public health issue, so what does the government do? Encourage fortified cereals! And fortify white flour! Mind you, most American babies are not breastfed past 3 months. I don't know if there is any research on EBF infants and anemia. However, I did just see research in this month's JADA that introducing solids before 6 months increases the likelihood of having a picky eater by 2.5 times. Yikes!

Instead of cereals, go for iron rich foods paired with a vitamin c source. Like spinach and strawberries or pears, quinoa and tomatoes, lentils and broccoli, beef and marinara sauce, etc. Besides, store bought infant cereals are expensive!! I just ground up some steel cut oats (grinding is only for introducing solids), prepared them with water and mixed with pear purée and cinnamon and LO loved it. You can keep the leftover oats in the fridge and reheat when you want for the next 5 days or so. Made a great milk supply boosting breakfast for mama too!

So think outside the box!

Check out Dr Greene's whiteout campaign too.

Cheers!!
Fitbaby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

wow
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #19
corinne76