Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
alisonsjulejb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WHEN should I try CEREAL and PUREES??

Hello everyone!!!

My son is almost 4 months old and i have had several people (in family) say i should start him on cereal soon (rice or oat). I have a cousin who starts doing rice cereal extremely early like 6 weeks in a bottle and at 3 months is already spoon feeding it. She does formula. I breastfeed and i just feel like she is doing things kind of early!!

The only reason i am considering trying to give him cereal soon (with a spoon?) is because he has a bit of reflux which makes him fussy off and on and spit up easily. I have been told (and it makes sense) that starting on cereal can help give them more bulk to keep the milk down and help reduce reflux.

Any advice on when to start offering him cereal or purees and why?

Thank you SO much!

Advertisement

alisonsjulejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: WHEN should I try CEREAL and PUREES??

6 months old is the earliest I would give any solids. That is the recommendation of all the health professionals I have ever come across. All three of my kids have been breastmilk or formula until that age.
Why don't you ask your doctor and see what they say. Some will say 4 months but I know the current recommendation is 6.
Also I don't do any cereals and no purees. I baby led wean but that is a whole another huge topic and is not reccomended by some doctors.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

Here's a great resource to give you some of the latest research on when it is best to start solids and why.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doctor recommended 4 months... and I completely ignored that because of new research findings. I waited 6 months and do a combination of BLW and purees... things are going great!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i tried sweet potatoe at 4 months and after giving 1 tbs once a day for 3 days i noticed she was gassy, so i stopped. now we are at 5 months and she is just HUGNRY. so, i cooked up a sweet potatoe and she has had 1 tbs for the past 2 days and is doing great. i had a box of earths best brown rice cereal, i tried a tbs of that this am and she spit it out! i guess its kinda bland. i might mix it with sweet potatoe and see how she does with that....
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

6 months is the earliest I would do food - & never purees and rice type cereals for a baby but it is your kid - do what YOU feel is right.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

The best time to start introducing solids of any kind is when your child is ready. This generally presents itself as the child trying to take food off your plate, eyeing you intensely while you eat or other interested signs.

4 months is the absolute earliest, but some research shows 6 or 7 months to be better.

When you're talking about reflux, some doctors do recommend adding cereal. I would only do that if your child is throwing up so much that they aren't gaining weight or making 6+ diapers a day. A little throw up is fine as long as they're healthy. A lot of throw up is annoying, but fine as long as they're healthy.

I would recommend other options such as stopping for frequent burps, breastfeeding in a more vertical position, doing bicycles with their legs after feedings, etc. before I would look to unnecessary cereals.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonsjulejb View Post
Hello everyone!!!

My son is almost 4 months old and i have had several people (in family) say i should start him on cereal soon (rice or oat). I have a cousin who starts doing rice cereal extremely early like 6 weeks in a bottle and at 3 months is already spoon feeding it. She does formula. I breastfeed and i just feel like she is doing things kind of early!!

The only reason i am considering trying to give him cereal soon (with a spoon?) is because he has a bit of reflux which makes him fussy off and on and spit up easily. I have been told (and it makes sense) that starting on cereal can help give them more bulk to keep the milk down and help reduce reflux.

Any advice on when to start offering him cereal or purees and why?

Thank you SO much!
Solids really shouldn't be introduced before 6mos. It isn't written in stone, but any sooner than that can actually cause problems (like potential food allergies), especially if your LO isn't ready yet. Babies digestive tracts need time to mature just like the rest of their bodies, and rushing it does them no good. It would be great if we could start teaching our kids to walk at 6wks, but that would just be silly, right? Think of introducing solids in the same way.
Adding solids to a bottle is absolutely NOT a good idea. It gives the baby a false sense of when they are full, which causes them to over eat without realizing it (because the cereal continues to expand in their tummy). This has been linked to overeating and obesity in older children, basically because they over eat right from the start, and never really learn to stop when they are full. Also, more recent info is that introducing solids for reflux doesn't really make enough of a difference to matter.
Check out WholesomeBabyFood.com - it is a FANTASTIC resource for starting and continuing solids, and they have lots of ideas for fun purees and making your own babyfood, if you are interested in that, too.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I personally started my yds a week before he was 6 months. He just wasn't ready before then. Babies need to not have the tongue thrust reflex before eating any food, pureed or otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

P.S. - I have had people say to me "Why can't I start solids sooner? Our parents' generation gave solids early all the time, and we turned out fine."
When faced with this statement, I simply make mention of the fact that, while our parents and grandparents were well-intentioned, our entire generation has a problem with obesity - and our children are dealing with an obesity epidemic.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote