Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
Dewberri
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to.. in public restrooms!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery View Post
My girl talks a lot about what kind of hand drying plans she has... she has certain bathrooms memorized for what is available. Maybe bringing along a hand towel?
Yeah, the blowers are one thing that definitely make DD anxious. I try to talk her through her fears (as best as I can interpret them). I tell her we don't have to dry... but I usually try to keep some cloth wipes in my purse (runny noses, drooling mouths, and such) so I could pack to dray her hands. That's a good idea!

Lately I haven't even been able to get her to try... she's so scared and says "All done" whenever I ask her to try or talk to her about going after me or anything. Poor girl. I guess we'll get there eventually. I just wish I could figure out what it is that she's afraid of and help her through it. :head scratch:

Advertisement

My hobby: Fluff-n-Stuff -> Temp. on hold while I rebuild my stash for the newbie
Dewberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
VitaW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son potty trained himself totally exactly at age two. No accidents or anything. We only had the small problem of public restrooms.

I didn't know what to do and I got a folding potty to keep in my bag. Didn't quite work but I came up with a wacky idea that worked like a charm.

He would struggle when I would put him on the potty seat in a public restroom. So I told him that I was going to call his pee pees on the phone and ask them to come out. I put my hand to my ear in the shape of a phone and called them up. He thinks this is so funny that he asks me to do it even at home. Works perfectly.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
ekeith28
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do the folding, travel potty seats work? I saw a few reviews that said it didn't fit well over most public toilets?
Just wondering!

Get 150,000+ free online coupon codes, printable grocery coupons, restaurant coupons, cash back and more at ShopAtHome.com!
ekeith28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Dewberri
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeith28
Do the folding, travel potty seats work? I saw a few reviews that said it didn't fit well over most public toilets?
Just wondering!
I have a folding tinkerbell one. It works fine on most of them. DD is off and on with using it but I feel much better having that barrier between her and the public potty lol. Ours is wider at the top/back end... So i've never had it fall in. Sometimes the gap in the front is over a yucky part of the toilet so I am careful to hold DD's legs up if she would be touching it. If there are seat covers I put them over her seat and then we are set no matter what!

Well worth the money we spent, about $12?

My hobby: Fluff-n-Stuff -> Temp. on hold while I rebuild my stash for the newbie
Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My younger DD was afraid of the automatic toilets also. I just took a few squares of tp and hung it over the eye. Worked great and she was able to do it herself once she was big enough to want to be in the stall alone.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
Tweedledum
Registered Users

My DD is 4 years old and STILL won't use a public restroom. I just pack a baby bjorn little potty in the back of our car for her to use before we go inside anywhere. She goes in the back of the car, on the potty, and I soak up any pee with paper towels, pick up the pee (or poop) with a plastic bag & turn inside out the way you would with dog doo, and then sanitize the little potty with some disinfecting wipes I keep in the back of the car also. I put the used wipes in the baggie, and knot it all up, and make sure to toss the whole bag when I get home.

It's not ideal, but it's what's working for us so far.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
Dewberri
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaW View Post
My son potty trained himself totally exactly at age two. No accidents or anything. We only had the small problem of public restrooms.

I didn't know what to do and I got a folding potty to keep in my bag. Didn't quite work but I came up with a wacky idea that worked like a charm.

He would struggle when I would put him on the potty seat in a public restroom. So I told him that I was going to call his pee pees on the phone and ask them to come out. I put my hand to my ear in the shape of a phone and called them up. He thinks this is so funny that he asks me to do it even at home. Works perfectly.
that is awesome!

DD is getting better. She does really well in restrooms that are single person restrooms... especially with normal looking toilets :P With the auto flush ones, it doesn't matter if I cover the sensor, go first, promise her that we'll be rebels and not flush, she just REFUSES to get near it... Poor kiddo. I don't like her being so scared. I'm afraid that all of my coaxing is going to make her even more anxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedledum View Post
My DD is 4 years old and STILL won't use a public restroom. I just pack a baby bjorn little potty in the back of our car for her to use before we go inside anywhere. She goes in the back of the car, on the potty, and I soak up any pee with paper towels, pick up the pee (or poop) with a plastic bag & turn inside out the way you would with dog doo, and then sanitize the little potty with some disinfecting wipes I keep in the back of the car also. I put the used wipes in the baggie, and knot it all up, and make sure to toss the whole bag when I get home.

It's not ideal, but it's what's working for us so far.
I like the idea of taking a potty in the car! That is something I've considered for long trips but not for everyday out and about. I should do that now so that we have an alternative for her to restrooms. Thanks, Mama

Last edited by Dewberri; 09-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
TinyHineyDiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids always enjoyed going in public restrooms if they were different... like if the toilet seat was black of if there are the kid sized toilets. Once they had their fun with that, making the change to just the regular restrooms was a breeze. i also keep a potty in the car at all times. if you're near an ikea, they have on that is just about the same as the baby bjorn one, but only like $5.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
Dewberri
Registered Users
seller

I actually did the potty in the car thing for the few days that we spent with my parents. We were constantly out and about. It worked REALLY well. At first DD didn't want to pee in the car but when we talked about how going in the car meant more time for shopping and playing, she was all about it! I kept a water bottle (just refilled from the tap) to rinse the potty and clorox wipes to clean up with. Super easy.

That's a great tip about IKEA. I'll have to check that out! Thanks

Old 09-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
eLiz21730
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Make a nest! I was once in Panera and my little guy made his "poop" face and I didn't know what to do. I thought, "Well, I guess I'll let him get it out and just change him..." I was really having a hard time deciding what to do and he ended up making the face 3x - I felt terrible! I took him in the bathroom and discovered he was totally dry. Made a TP nest on that potty and he pooped and peed immediately. At 10 months, it was his first major indication to me that he was consciously controlling his bladder and bowel. That is actually the one and only time I've done that, but I would do it again to help him keep his dignity.

Check out my store, the sewn PEA, on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/thesewnPEA

Come Swag w/me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/eLiz21730
eLiz21730 is offline   Reply With Quote