Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #21
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Re: DS was in the Hospital overnight!

Just wanted to give hugs . My dh is allergic to fish, peanuts, and tree nuts. My dd (19 mo) is allergic to sesame, milk, and eggs. We found out about the sesame much the same way you are finding out about your ds's allergies. Her allergist gave her skin tests for all the common allergens, and that along with her reactions pinpointed her allergies.

I wanted to add that MOST people who are allergic to peanuts are NOT allergic to peanut oil. The oil is heated so high in processing that it destroys the proteins that cause most allergies. My dh, who is allergic to peanuts, can have peanut oil, although he avoids it just to be safe, but I don't worry about it being used in restaurants, etc. Now on the other hand, sesame oil (dd's allergy) is dangerous to people who are allergic because it ISN'T processed using high heat. Fish is one of the top 8 allergens in the U.S., so that could definitely be it.

I carry an epi pen and benadryl in my purse at all times. I like the children's fastmelt benadryl for carrying since it is easier to carry than liquid: http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...-PLST-0-SEARCH

I also recently bought an epi pen trainer so that I feel confident using the real epi pen if I ever need to. https://www.foodallergy.org/shopping...?productcd=EPI

Hope this helps!

Advertisement

weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

((hugs momma)) it is NEVER easy to have your kiddo in the hospital
Old 04-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 04-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #24
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weddell View Post
Just wanted to give hugs . My dh is allergic to fish, peanuts, and tree nuts. My dd (19 mo) is allergic to sesame, milk, and eggs. We found out about the sesame much the same way you are finding out about your ds's allergies. Her allergist gave her skin tests for all the common allergens, and that along with her reactions pinpointed her allergies.

I wanted to add that MOST people who are allergic to peanuts are NOT allergic to peanut oil. The oil is heated so high in processing that it destroys the proteins that cause most allergies. My dh, who is allergic to peanuts, can have peanut oil, although he avoids it just to be safe, but I don't worry about it being used in restaurants, etc. Now on the other hand, sesame oil (dd's allergy) is dangerous to people who are allergic because it ISN'T processed using high heat. Fish is one of the top 8 allergens in the U.S., so that could definitely be it.

I carry an epi pen and benadryl in my purse at all times. I like the children's fastmelt benadryl for carrying since it is easier to carry than liquid: http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...-PLST-0-SEARCH

I also recently bought an epi pen trainer so that I feel confident using the real epi pen if I ever need to. https://www.foodallergy.org/shopping...?productcd=EPI

Hope this helps!
Wow really I totally didn't know that about peanut oil, that's good to hear.

I do know in my High School, after I left, I guess this young girl got something for lunch from the caf and they used the tongs from the fries to pick it up. I guess they fried the fries in peanut oil at that time and she was allergic to peanuts.

She died in the caf right there. So scary and sad.

But I really think the peanut thing was a long shot anyway since I don't think the restaurant we went to used peanut oil.

I do think it is likely the Fish.

Can't wait to get to the dr tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #25
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

prayers, hope they can test him to figure it out.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #26
2babiesndiaps
Banned

I would call the shop and find out if they use peanut oil. It probably wasn't that but could have been. Fish may have been then culprit too. Peanut oil doesn't always get processed enough to be "pure" or not have proteins and usually it is the protiens that peaople are allergic too. Tylonel sounds unusual, but some times a resistance can be built and then the allergy shows up.

I would second getting an epi pen and carry thing dissolvable Benedryl! Carry it EVERYWHERE (don't leave it in the glove box, but an extra there is good)

The test will be drawing blood usually w/ a finger prick and you won't know for at least 3 days. I would suggest also going to an expert allergist once you get the results. Our ped was WRONG about what the results meant(How allergic my DD was). Good luck. It's a hard thing to deal with but it doable! FYI my ODD is allergic to milk, nuts, and peanuts. Life with allergies is dobale. Just repeat that to yourself!! It takes some learning but it is doable!! ((HUGS))
2babiesndiaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #27
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessWifeMom View Post
Wow really I totally didn't know that about peanut oil, that's good to hear.

I do know in my High School, after I left, I guess this young girl got something for lunch from the caf and they used the tongs from the fries to pick it up. I guess they fried the fries in peanut oil at that time and she was allergic to peanuts.

She died in the caf right there. So scary and sad.
That's why I said most, since there is always the chance that proteins were left after processing. It's so sad to hear stories like that because it really illustrates how quickly something can happen.

I hope your ds doesn't have any allergies and that this was just some sort of fluke, but if it is fish, that's a pretty manageable allergy. Fish is rarely a hidden ingredient in food the way nuts, milk, etc are. Dh has no trouble avoiding fish, but the other things mean daily label reading.

Here is a good site about food allergies: http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/index.html

There is some good basic info there.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #28
stephlynnette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness!! I hope they figure it out, so you can make sure it doesn't happen again! How scary...
stephlynnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #29
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babiesndiaps View Post
I would suggest also going to an expert allergist once you get the results. Our ped was WRONG about what the results meant(How allergic my DD was). Good luck. ((HUGS))
I wanted to second this. Peds are great, but most drs just don't know much about allergies and their information is often outdated. I always consult our allergist first and then tell our ped what the allergist said. Despite all the news stories, etc, allergies only affect something like 1% of people. Because they are uncommon, peds often dismiss parents' concerns. So definitely talk with the allergist and just keep the ped informed.