Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Sammie4030
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a miscarriage the week of July 11th. DH and I have DTD once since then and I'm not really sure what date that was. I still have not had an AF visit and this week makes 6 weeks after miscarriage. I started feeling nauseous yesterday morning and shrugged it off as maybe getting sick. A friend suggested maybe being pregnant so I did a pregnancy test that showed positive! What are the odds this is a false positive? Anyone else been here before? I wasn't sure if pregnancy hormones would still be in my system? This was my first miscarriage so not really sure on everything. Now this morning I have that nausea all over again...surely we didn't make a baby this soon after miscarriage when not even trying! LOL And how in the world would I determine conception...and my LMP was of course in May before the last pregnancy. Oh the confusion!!

Update:
Welp we have baby!! Positive ultrasound today with healthy heartbeat and measuring 6 weeks 6 days! I can now testify that you can get pregnant RIGHT after a miscarriage. Craziness!! :gooodvibes:

Advertisement

Last edited by Sammie4030; 09-01-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Sammie4030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Positive Pregnancy Test After Miscarriage

I don't know the odds of false positive, but my doc had told me after my miscarriage in March that it took a few weeks for the hormones to get back to normal. I'd wait a week or two and then test again... or just call your doc and tell him/her about it...

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

I kind of depends how far along you were when you miscarried. I have had 2 miscarriages, both very early (like within a few days of when AF would have been due, so like 20 dpo), and got pregnant within a month of those miscarriages, without an AF between the miscarriage and my BFP. If your loss is very early, you will often ovulate roughly on schedule (2-3 wks after your loss).

If your loss was later, I might be a little more cautious about your positive.

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got my pos pregnancy test 4 weeks after my m/c(i was 6 weeks along when I m/c) I am 24 weeks tomorrow. I would call your doc and get in to test your levels and everything! mama and possibly congrats! Keep us updated!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Sammie4030
Registered Users
seller
seller

I thought about just waiting another week or 2 and testing again if still no AF. I was measuring 6 weeks at my miscarriage.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
abhernandez
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie4030 View Post
I thought about just waiting another week or 2 and testing again if still no AF. I was measuring 6 weeks at my miscarriage.

I had a m/c at a little over 6 weeks and got a - HPT 3 weeks later (I took it to confirm if I got a + later, it was the real thing) and AF was back 4 weeks later but of course everyone is a little different in how their body responds after a loss! FX that it's a real BFP!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say most likely it's a new pregnancy However it's also possible that if your body retained even a little piece of placenta or other products of conception that it would still show positive on a pg test. I would probably call the dr and ask for a quantative beta hcg. And ask for a repeat in 48 hrs. That will tell you if the pregnancy hormone is going up (new pregnancy) staying the same (retained from mc) or going down (just leftover hormones from mc) HTH mama And good luck!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaratliff View Post
I would say most likely it's a new pregnancy However it's also possible that if your body retained even a little piece of placenta or other products of conception that it would still show positive on a pg test. I would probably call the dr and ask for a quantative beta hcg. And ask for a repeat in 48 hrs. That will tell you if the pregnancy hormone is going up (new pregnancy) staying the same (retained from mc) or going down (just leftover hormones from mc) HTH mama And good luck!

how dark was the test? Did you have the miscarriage confirmed, or did you just bleed and cramp a lot and assume you were losing the baby?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Sammie4030
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410

how dark was the test? Did you have the miscarriage confirmed, or did you just bleed and cramp a lot and assume you were losing the baby?
It was a pretty clearly positive test. With the miscarriage, I had my first ultrasound at what should have been 8 weeks but I was only measuring 6 weeks with no heartbeat and my levels were dropping rapidly and had also already started spotting. By that night I was in full swing clot passing for almost 3 days - very heavy. I then had discharge for about a week after. So I have no doubt on the miscarriage. I'd say DH and I DTD sometime between July 25 - July 31.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

My timing was similar to yours with my M/C and it took quite a while for my levels to drop back to normal, so my pregnancy tests were positive for a little over a month I think. I think everyone is different though in how long it takes levels to return to zero. And if there was no scan afterwards to make sure nothing was retained or bloodwork/tests that show your HCG levels going to zero, you might consider contacting the dr. to make sure that the m/c was complete and that this is a new pregnancy. I am very sorry for your loss and hope that this is a new beginning for you if that is what you are hoping too.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote