Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help, my 20 month old is still nursing frequently

my dd has always nursed frequently during the day and at night and I love nursing her. Now she nurses a few times an hour during the day even if we are out and about ...the park, story time, play dates, etc. I have no problem nursing in public and I love to offer her this comfort but I'm just worried that she won't learn any other ways of coping with the world. I also find myself getting frustrated at her frequent requests to nurse thinking that there must be something wrong with her or my parenting and because I watch other kiddos that also need my attention. Sometime it exhausts me too. I have many friends who bf but none have had this experience.

open to advice and stories...

Advertisement

See my listings for (updated 11/16/07)fabric , women's coats/jackets , women's Hanna , girl's 2, 3, 4, 5 andboy's 3, 4, 5
mama2iliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help, my 20 month old is still nursing frequently

My ds is 20 months now and is sounds just the same as yours! I can't even count how many times a day I nurse him. And solid food is more like a toy to play with than actual food. My friends with older kids said that it's all normal and that they will wean themselves when ready around 2 1/2 or 3 when they want to be a big kid and not a baby anymore. I hope they're right because right now weaning seems impossible! You're not the only one, mama! Good luck with whatever feels right for you and your little one!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey, what's your dd's birthday? My ds's is October 8.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she is just 2 days older
October 6

I will be sad when she weans but hopefully before then we can find a happy medium

See my listings for (updated 11/16/07)fabric , women's coats/jackets , women's Hanna , girl's 2, 3, 4, 5 andboy's 3, 4, 5
Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Maybe find her another form of comfort? A blanky or stuffed toy?
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom
Maybe find her another form of comfort? A blanky or stuffed toy?

I tried that
she was attached to a soft doll and puppy for a couple of months but wanted both of them and to nurse

Old 06-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

lol, my dd is 20 months also, and i find that she wants to nurse more when *I* am with her....its like hqaving a nice yummy piece of cake right next toi you all day long!!
LOL

But, she will go 4-5 hours for dh no problem on the days i am at work!

I think, possibly, it is an attention thing..especially if you have other kids...she knows it is a surefure way to get your attention.
Perhaps trying to UP the amount of attention(other than nursing) you give her? Yaya, i know, easier said that done with multiple kids, lol!

Also, this is gonna sound obvious, but i give her more food!
LOL
I have a water sippy available always, and have also (i am so ashamed, lol) been pushing a cowmilk/yogurt/juice sippy on her when i REALY don't want to nurse.....Also i offer food....i am ashamed that sometimes i even offer not-so-great food, to tempt her.
I just bought her a new sippy (like she needs another, lol!), it is Spongebob and she loves it, so she is *asking* to drink out of it!!!

At 20 months, you can say *NO*

I often make her wait several minutes to nurse...and sometimes she gets distracted and moves on to something els,e and if she doesn't, it's usually cuz she really IS hungry.....

We are weaning by 2 years(I can NOT believe I'm saying that! I thought i would BF much longer....)because I hope to be preggo by her birthday (SEPT 15!) and with my fertiliy issues and serious low-supply issues, my milk is like, 99% sure going to go away right when i TTC.....at least, thats the best info i can get..the hormones i have to take as part of my fertiltiy treatments will dry it up apparently. But, at this point, we have decided that another child is the best decision for our family, and 22-23 months of nursing is an amount we feel **ok** with, if not thrilled by......
Also, there are temporary things to consider...is she teething, is she in a growth spurt, has something changed in the home? With all my trials and tribulations of nursing, I usually find that right about the time i am annoyed enough to vent about a problem...it sort of gets better or goes away.....
Perhaps in a couple weeks, it will just have passed?

Best of luck
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my partner/dd's other parent left us over a month ago
dd seemed to be coping well enough but maybe nursing is her way of staying attached to me (literally) to make sure that I don't leave her as well

thanks for your insight

Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2iliana
my partner/dd's other parent left us over a month ago
dd seemed to be coping well enough but maybe nursing is her way of staying attached to me (literally) to make sure that I don't leave her as well

thanks for your insight

That really seems to be what the prob would be I think. Maybe give her a little time yet and things will slow down when she realizes that you aren't going anywhere.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote