Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

HELP! Does this sound like diabetes???

Ok, so my 9, almost 10, year old dd has been having some weird issues for a while now. I mostly thought she was just being defiant, or weird, or something, but all the sudden I started putting two and two together and have become worried.

1) she spits, constantly. In our old apartment, she spit all over her room. She will just spit wherever, whenever. I have told her over and over this is disgusting, but she doesn't stop. I've made her clean it up and put her on time out, thinking she was just being defiant or something. So in our new house I told her absolutely no spitting in the house or she will get in trouble. If she needs to spit, do it in the toilet or sink. Well, she will still do it. She tells me she can't help it. She has to spit.

2) she wets the bed. At first I didn't realize she was. There was just an awful pee smell in the girls room. I honestly thought it must be the 5 year old. I could never figure it out. I'd ask all the girls, and they'd deny it. So when we were moving, I realized it was oldest DD. Her mattress was obviously peed on. She always changed her sheets herself (all the girls do as part of their chores), and honestly, I never in a million years thought it would be my oldest so I never fully investigated it, which I feel awful about now. So, I think, ok, that's very strange. She still blamed it on the 5 y/o, b/c the 5 y/o would often play musical beds and end up with one of her sisters. Well, two nights ago I realized FOR SURE it was her, b/c 5 yo was not in her bed, and she confessed it was. She said she didn't know she did it. I told her for the umpteenth time, that it was okay, but she needed to TELL me so I could wash the sheets when it happened. My brother wet the bed well into his teens, so I thought maybe this was something genetic.

3) She's always thirsty. She will literally cry if she can't have water, even if she's had a ton of water. I obviously do not withhold water from her, but say we are in the car and I can't get her water RIGHT NOW she will start crying. So I now just keep water bottles in the car, etc.

4) She's always hungry. She will throw tantrums if she doesn't get food NOW when she wants it. This seemed a little immature to me, but now, considering everything else, I don't know, maybe she really does need food RIGHT NOW.

5) She will get really bad stomach aches. The doctor has contributed this to a mild lactose intolerance. However, she doesn't drink milk at all, and very limited, if any, dairy products,and if she does, she takes a pill (chewable actually) for it first. However, just last week she stayed home from school b/c she woke up crying that her stomach hurt SO BAD.

HOWEVER, she hardly ever pees! And I know excessive urination is a huge sign of diabetes, but it's like pulling teeth trying to get her to pee. She has been like this for as long as she's been potty-trained. The doctor has talked to her numerous times about going pee even if she doesn't feel like she needs to, b/c she can get a bladder/urinary tract infection, etc. So, I thought maybe the bed-wetting was b/c she was not peeing, so it would happen in the night.

BUT the more I think about this, the more I'm getting worried. All of these things have been going on for a long time, some since toddlerhood. I actualyl DID have her tested for diabetes a few years ago, and it was negative, so that's why I had it put out of my head. But now it's crept back into my mind, and I can't help thinking I wonder if they were wrong, or if it just hadn't "shown" yet. So basically, excessive saliva, bed-wetting, extreme hunger and thirst, stomach pain, but not excessive peeing. Does this sound like diabetes to anyone?

I'm convinced all of these things have to be related and she's not just trying to annoy me LOL

I read this article:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical...ne/type1.html#

but she definitely has not lost weight, and does not urinate frequently. I'm so confused, and starting to get really concerned.

P.S. I will be calling a doctor. i literally just put two and two together tonight and started researching. So, thought I'd come here while I'm at it and see if anyone's ahd any similar experiences

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: HELP! Does this sound like diabetes???

I looked it up my ds2 is always thirsty and is always hungry even if he just ate. I am going to ask his ped to check him tomorrow at his appt he doesn't have any other symptoms. I checked this site just now.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/typ...CTION=symptoms
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Always talk to your doctor of course. But diabetes type one in kids is usually very fast. Meaning one day they are fine and in 3 days they will be very sick, vomiting and near coma.

Now if she is overweight, it could be type 2 and that is a slower progression.

Sounds more like behavior to me. Type one is rarely ever slow progressing. If she has had it for several years she would most likely have gotten very sick much quicker.

My friends son was fine one day, then he had a stomach ache, then on day 2 they could not wake him and he was vomiting in a coma. His blood sugar was 900 when they got to the hospital and he spent a week in ICU before getting stable again. This is typical for most kids with type one.

I would see your doc asap either way, but it doesnt sound like type one diabetes to me.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

She is a bit overweight. Not obese, but her doctor has always mentioned it and given her a lecture about eating better. She's just "thick" is the best way to explain it. She is also half black, and the women on her dad's side are all "thick" so I assumed that was genetic too.

Glad to know though it's not type 1. I wonder if it could be type 2, or if it really is behavioral? But she gets embarrassed easily, so I have a hard time believing she really WANTS to be spitting and bed-wetting.

But yeah, none of this is new at all. I'd say thirst has gone on forever, bed wetting must have been at least the last year on and off, spitting has been about the last year and a half, and stomach pains have been since she was a baby.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
IslaRose
Registered Users

Sounds like possible candida issues to me...have you considered yeast overgrowth? Does she crave sugar? (What kid doesn't, right?)
IslaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I doubt it is diabetes. The bed wetting is probably hereditary. You can try the alarm that attaches to the neck of the pj top and the undies. It really is very effective. The spitting is one of those VILE habits that some children get into and it is very difficult to stop. You probably need some type of behavior plan to get that extinguished. Def. get her checked to ease your mind though.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

spitting is not diabetes. IT may be behaviour or a sign of something else.

She may be hardly peeing during the day, but she obviously pees at night. This could be either diabetes AND behaviour. She could be holding it all day & that's why she pees at night.

The thirst & hunger could be diabetes.

It could be hypoglycemia without being diabetes too. When my blood sugar gets low I get very grumpy & irritable. My stomach can hurt too.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Diabetes is very easy to test for. If you know someone with a glucose meter, see if you can borrow it. Or, some pharmacies will charge you a few bucks to have your bg tested. Just ignore them if they say she needs to be fasting-- instead, give her a tall glass of juice right before. If she's developing Type 1 diabetes, her blood sugar will go higher than normal. A fasting number may not tell you anything at all.

And a pp said that Type 1 always develops fast--- that's not always true. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, so your immune system begins attacking your pancreas. For some it can happen quickly so that symptoms appear out of nowhere. For others it can takes weeks or months before you recognize symptoms, but in hindsight they were there much longer.

Good luck! I hope it's not diabetes, but I hope you find answers.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
I doubt it is diabetes. The bed wetting is probably hereditary. You can try the alarm that attaches to the neck of the pj top and the undies. It really is very effective. The spitting is one of those VILE habits that some children get into and it is very difficult to stop. You probably need some type of behavior plan to get that extinguished. Def. get her checked to ease your mind though.
never heard of it..do you have more info?

for the spitting, if it is behavioral, I'll definitely need to come up with some plan, because it really is gross! And she's not a gross kid, so it really baffles me!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
spitting is not diabetes. IT may be behaviour or a sign of something else.

She may be hardly peeing during the day, but she obviously pees at night. This could be either diabetes AND behaviour. She could be holding it all day & that's why she pees at night.

The thirst & hunger could be diabetes.

It could be hypoglycemia without being diabetes too. When my blood sugar gets low I get very grumpy & irritable. My stomach can hurt too.
I'll read up on hypoglycemia..

for the spitting, I was thinking it's just excessive saliva and that's why she says she HAS to spit. She drools at night too. But what the heck is excessive saliva a sign of?

Man this kid has me confused! Main thing is I don't want to "punish" her if say the spitting really is involuntary. I hate to make anything worse or make her ashamed or anything like that.