Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
thisismiss
Registered Users
seller

Calling all EPers :)

Just wanted to say.... hello

Well, I am kind of new to DS, and very new to this section of the forums. From what I can tell, there seems to be a lot of mamas out there who exclusively pump. I don't know anyone else who does, so it's really nice to read about so many other mamas who are doing it too.

I have been for almost five months now because my daughter refused to latch once my milk came in. I thought pumping was going to be temporary until my supply settled and she could get used to it more. It turns out, she just preferred the convenience of the bottle and no matter what the LCs did (I saw about five) we couldn't get her to latch.

I'm fortunate enough to make a lot of milk. On a bad day I save only two or three bottles, and on a good day I save seven. (I average five though) So that's between 10oz and 35oz each night. I've been donating that milk to another mama who can't produce any milk of her own.

I'm really glad I can still provide for my daughter, and even help out another mama. A lot of times I really want to give up EP, but I just can't imagine giving her formula. Seeing how long so many other mamas have been able to keep on going really inspires me to keep going, so thank you

Advertisement

thisismiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Calling all EPers :)

How many times a day do you pump, just out of curiosity? I don't exclusively pump, but pretty much do. (I nurse her once or twice a day - in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning, but once she really wakes up, she get frustrated with the slow flow). Anyway, even when I pumped for every feeding she took, I didn't pump enough milk to cover what she was eating.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
smokeyswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is tough, but you can do it. I pumped for 2 years.....nearly 1.5 of that in preparation for my little one who we adopted, and then 8 months of pumping after he arrived. I had hoped I would be able to completely nurse him, but he had a horrible latch and a weak suck. He did nurse once or twice a day for 7-8 months, and then just bottles. We were able to keep him on nothing but breastmilk (mine and donated) for the first 8 months, and then had to add formula.
Just wanted to add our story as encouragement
smokeyswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hey Mama! Big to you. If it's important to you, you can make this work long term! I'm retired now, but you can still PM me with any questions!

A good site is the Exclusively Pumping board on ivillage.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
thisismiss
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm0302 View Post
How many times a day do you pump, just out of curiosity? I don't exclusively pump, but pretty much do. (I nurse her once or twice a day - in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning, but once she really wakes up, she get frustrated with the slow flow). Anyway, even when I pumped for every feeding she took, I didn't pump enough milk to cover what she was eating.
I pump every three to four..sometimes five hours. I get on average 8 or 9oz and she usually eats 3 or 4 at a time still. She is eating more now so I'm not saving as much, but its still quite a bit I guess. It only really became as good as it is once I bought a Medela PIS. I was using the Swing before and it just wasn't enough and I supplemented two bottles a day with formula.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi!! I EP for our 8month old... It's been a long road and here lately I too have thought about giving up too... My supply is down since I got My BFP with # 3... But I just used her eating baby food and it seems to be going better...
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
xkels81
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey there- I EP for my 8 month old DS. I too am blessed with a good supply. I pump about 60oz a day. But he is a BIG eater at 36oz a day...lil stinker! But I do have almost 5000oz frozen in the deep freezer. I am hoping to keep EPing till he is a year old. Then use my freezer stash till whenever and donate a bunch too. We will see....he loves his mama milk and not so good at solids. He is/was tongued tied/lip-tied/high palate = weak weak suck!! EPing is especially hard since I nursed my first 2 kids till they were 18 months each. So.... I know what I am missing and how much more work pumping is. (( Good for all you ladies doing the harder thing.
xkels81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
thisismiss
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkels81 View Post
Hey there- I EP for my 8 month old DS. I too am blessed with a good supply. I pump about 60oz a day. But he is a BIG eater at 36oz a day...lil stinker! But I do have almost 5000oz frozen in the deep freezer. I am hoping to keep EPing till he is a year old. Then use my freezer stash till whenever and donate a bunch too. We will see....he loves his mama milk and not so good at solids. He is/was tongued tied/lip-tied/high palate = weak weak suck!! EPing is especially hard since I nursed my first 2 kids till they were 18 months each. So.... I know what I am missing and how much more work pumping is. (( Good for all you ladies doing the harder thing.
Wow! That's really good! I've donated just over 1000oz myself because I don't have a deep freezer so our regular one gets overrun by my BM every two weeks! I'd love to have been able to keep all mine so I could do the same, but I'm also really happy to be helping another mama out who can't make anything herself. I' just hoping once she starts solids, I can pump less and it'll be a bit easier, but who knows!