Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why did you choose a c-section over VBAC?

If you have had previous c-section(s) and choose to have another one, what were your reasons?

Story of DS1 - my water ruptured at 38.5wks with no contactions following. Went to the hospital a few hours later and started pitocin and they upped the dose many times with very, very little progress. I came in at only 1cm dilated. Took me off pitocin after about 10 hours and entered cervidil and I slept through the night. Cervidil did little for me and they started pitocin again in the morning. I was on pitocin all day and by 11pm I was only at 5cm. I had multiple bags of pitocin. They had me in different positions throughout the day to help things along, but nothing worked. Now it's over 24hrs since my water broke and we all decided a c-section was best. I had to wait for an OR to be available and my son was born early into the hours on the 3rd day, 36hrs after my water broke.

Back to the present, I am almost 39wks pregnant and have planned on a VBAC/TOL from the very beginning, but it might not happen for me. I am not dilated at all, and have been 50% effaced for over 2wks now. My doctor would like me to not go much past my due date so I know at my appointment next week we will be discussing my options. DS1 was 8lbs even and healthy 1.5wks early and this one is measuring the same so could be "big" by 40wks. Has anyone else been in my shoes? I don't want to give up on my VBAC hopes, but when do I say enough is enough? TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
jellybelly37
formerly J*****e
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why did you choose a c-section over VBAC?

Congrats on your impending arrival! I have no past experience, but I just wanted to share this site with you that has some information about vbac. I'm sure you have researched it to death... but anyways.

http://bellybelly.com.au/birth/vbac-...-vbac-friendly

I wouldn't worry too much about going over your due date. I can't personally understand what the risks are or why they would be that different to a first timer. I wish you lots of luck and really hope you go into labour soon!
jellybelly37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
kellyzoo
Registered Users

I had my 1st c section because I broke my pelvis while I was pregnant. My 2nd pregnancy was close to my first with my girls only being 18 mos apart. I did not want to risk anything happening to my pelvis plus I had a lot of scar tissue I wanted fixed as well. My 2nd section was SO much easier, faster recovery and less pain. I don't regret the decision at all.
kellyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I chose a VBAC, but I can tell you that my first birth was a very similar experience, except that I did not agree that the section was the best idea, I was not allowed to be in different positions, and they did not give me 24 hours. I also dialated to 8 before the "doctor" started bullying me for a section.

My doctor told me pretty much the same thing at 40wks2d, and I ended up letting him talk me into an induction for the next day. It all went well, but it was not what I wanted. From what I have been reading since, going past the due date or "big baby" would not increase the risk of rupture much if at all.

It is your choice, and you should do your own research so that you know what you want to do and why. I would encourage you to VBAC naturally when the baby decides to come, because it generally carries less risk than your other options. But again, it is your choice to make. Just remember that ultimately, you are the only one who can make it.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Congrats on your impending arrival! I have no past experience, but I just wanted to share this site with you that has some information about vbac. I'm sure you have researched it to death... but anyways.

I wouldn't worry too much about going over your due date. I can't personally understand what the risks are or why they would be that different to a first timer. I wish you lots of luck and really hope you go into labour soon!
OT: thanks for the awesome link!! I have never heard of this site before
Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I think if you can have a vbac then go for it. If your cs was only due to failure to progress, then go for the vbac.
I am having my third c/s this coming January, I would not attempt a vbac for myself, I have had a vaginal birth and my baby got stuck in my pelvis and it was awful. The whole thing was very traumatic and well, we are both lucky to be alive.
I think if you are able to birth a baby and allowed to keep trying until baby is ready to come, then go for it. My experience only applies to me, I personally would not try a vbac because of my own history. I think it is great when other mama's are able to birth the way they want, it is a very important part of your life you will never forget.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post

Thanks for that link, I've never seen that before. Looking through it only #1 applies to me as my doctor and me have discuss the other ones (execpt how long to push...never thought to discuss that as I've never gotten that far in the past).
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Just wait. Wait...and wait for labor to start on its own. This gives you the best chance to have a TOL and VBAC. your doctor can not make you do anything!! And you can say no to their suggestions. Their concept of "letting you" go overdue is something we mamas have to get out of our heads, it is still your decision.

I waited for my TOL and went 3 weeks overdue. labor finally started on its own, baby was very healthy. Doctors were not happy about me saying, no, i'm not checking into the hospital right now to have an elective c-section.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I had a 2nd c-section because I was under a lot of pressure to have a baby and pretty much had no support . My OB was giving me until 41 weeks and at 38 weeks I had bloody show, had been having contractions almost constantly since 36 weeks, and had no progressed at all. I was so defeated. I had my second section at 40 weeks 3 days. I still kind of regret it. My OB did say my uterus was very thin and he was very glad I didn't labor. He is a very laid back guy, so that struck a cord with me. I don't know. I am one of those people that is just happy to be okay and have a healthy baby.

My first was a c-section from fetal distress due to induction at 41 weeks. I regret this c-section WAY more than I regret the 2nd one, honestly. That is the one that burns me up. It should not have happened. I wish I could turn back time and never agree to induction.

All that said, recovery the 2nd time was much better.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

I was going to try for a Vbac up until today... then I got some news that changed my decision so I am scheduled to do a repeat c-section on Monday.

My last DD was only 6lbs 11oz at 42 weeks and I never dilated past 5 and that was very much like your story.. .water broke...no contractions, pitiocin, 26 hours later, no baby and only 5cm. So we did the emergency section.

Today I had a U/S to check on DD2 and she's TINY. They say about 6lbs. So that can go 1lb either way. Because DD1 was also small and did NOT tolerate labor very well (her heart rate went down waay to much) the doctor today suggested that I either get NST's all next week or schedule a c-section.

The baby is doing fine now but they are just scared the same scenario will play out again if I TOL with her. So to save myself grief, 26 potential hours of pain and panic, to just go ahead and do another section.

Makes it easy to schedule things with my family anyways. I'm at peace with it.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote