Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why did you choose a c-section over VBAC?

With my first pregnancy, I decided for an induction at 39 weeks with no medical reason. The story in brief, my OB did not tell me she would be on vacation for the next two weeks, which would fall on my due date. Her back-up OB and I had just had an issue when I had to go into L&D with what I thought was my water leaking. Anyway, I labored for 24 hours, made it to nine. I would not progress further, and she felt my sons head was not coming down. I dunno... I was starting to run a fever, wore out, so on. I decided to go for the c-section. My son was born at 7 pounds 13 ounces.

I found out I was pregnant with my daughter when my son was 7.5 months. Knowing my OB felt my pelvis was too small, I knew she would not be favorable for a VBAC. I decided to switch to a midwife. I ended up with a successful VBAC with my daughter. She was born at 41 weeks 3 days at 8 pounds 15 ounces. Just a note, the day I went into labor, I was only 1 cm dilated, 50 - 75% effaced. My daughter's head was still very high as was my cervix. My midwife had explained to me that at that point, it was not favorable that I would go into labor. She also could not take care of me past 42 weeks, so we needed to make a decision. I went into labor that night and was in labor for 21 hours.

Now, onto my most recent pregnancy... I was given the diagnosis of macrosomia. I had been measuring 6 - 8 weeks ahead for half of my pregnancy. My midwife had already ordered an ultrasound on me around 35 weeks, which showed my daughter to be already 8 pounds. I went in for another ultrasound at her request when I was 39 weeks. It showed my daughter to be 9 pounds 11 ounces. My midwife told me she would not VBAC me with a 10 pound baby, and explained again how she felt I was not favorable to go into labor. The baby was high. However, I had been contracting for weeks and was already 2 - 3 cm dilated. I was about 75% effaced. I struggled with what to do at this visit as I knew that none of that mattered. I could still go into labor. I proved that with my last pregnancy. But, what was I to do only a week from my due date, and knowing no one in town would VBAC me. She was the only person who was likely to do it. She had her back-up OB come in and explain to me the risk of a VBAC with a baby that large. It scared me and my husband, so what did we do...schedule a c-section. My daughter was born three days later at 10 pounds 14 ounces.

Now, do I think I could have VBAC'ed her? I don't know. I have read many women who have with even larger babies, with no shoulder dystocia or anything. I have even read many woman saying babies this size and larger were the easiest out of all to deliver.

I know this post is all jumbled, but I am still struggling today with this decision. I tried so hard for my VBAC with my second, and got it. It was the best experience! I am now left with the decision of continuing with c-sections, or switching to a home birth midwife.

My thoughts on your situation are to go for that VBAC! If you have to, find someone else who is willing to help you do that. I know you said your OB does not want you to go past your due date, but I wouldn't even be concerned with that. Nor would I be concerned if your cervix is not favorable. That literally could change in an hour! I also have read that after your first baby, the baby doesn't drop down until labor starts and your cervix doesn't show much action either. I am sure you have done your research, but keep reading. That always helped me to stay positive and focused on what I wanted for my birth.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #22
Wendylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
I can understand that for sure... Keep in mind though - all inductions are different!! My first one was horrible and ended in a section, my second was amazing and I VBACd.
If I had dilated at all on my own I'd have considered it.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #23
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Btw I just want to throw this out there...

Women who choose to have repeat c-sections are no less of a woman than one who decides to do a vbac and vice versa.

Sometimes I think repeat c-section moms are often "guilted" into vbacs or berated for not going the vbac route.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #24
ilovecookie
Registered Users
seller

I had no intentions of putting my life at risk. Very simple decision.

I have no guilt or remorse with the repeat c-sections.

My babes are always over 10lbs and over 22 inches. Long painful labor with issues. Just not worth the risks to me.

Last edited by ilovecookie; 08-29-2011 at 04:41 PM.
ilovecookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #25
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Ack. I just had the choice taking from me with a dx of complete previa. I'm really ok either way it just would have been nice to attempt to avoid another surgery.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #26
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first birth story was almost the same as yours. I tried for a VBAC for my 2nd (10 years later) and made it to 5cm all on my own. But no further. I opted for another emergency c. Turns out I was on the brink of rupturing which is probably why my labor stalled. Not everyone is cut out for motherhood (I'm talking physically here although is a true fact either way) and my body just isn't. Without modern medicine I would not be a mom, I'd be dead. Enter the reason for repeat c-sections.
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #27
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Though I ended up w/ a successful VBAC w/ DS2, I had made peace w/ the fact that I very well may end up w/ a repeat c/s. I knew I'd done everything in my power possible to avoid it, so this time it would be truly necessary.

BTW, I didn't start dilating until 41weeks.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #28
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama View Post
Ack. I just had the choice taking from me with a dx of complete previa. I'm really ok either way it just would have been nice to attempt to avoid another surgery.

At 20 weeks there is still a chance that your placenta could move. The uterus still has a lot of growing to do at that point.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #29
amgermain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck with your decision! I knew that a VBAC wasn't right for me not for any medical reasons, simply because my first birth was such a horrible experience (DD turned sideways when my water broke, no one tried to turn her, so after 21 hours in labor I spent 2 hours pushing for no *real* reason since she wasn't going anywhere) and I didn't want to go through it again. Good luck to you! I have a friend who just did it and she went from not dialated at all to having the baby the next day.
amgermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #30
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing all your stories. I'm staying positive that I will be able to try for my VBAC. I am due this weekend and will go for two NSTs next week and consult with my doctor again on Thursday. I pray that DS2 will come this weekend though.