Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
JamesWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
aahHA! So that's why!

I was complaining to a friend about my Tide Ultra woes and her husband who is a water chemist happened to be in the room and he said that the hardness of water is based on how much Calcium Carbonate is there. Since I have hardish water and Tide stopped working he thinks that at least some of the 'fillers' were probably sodium based softeners that before were binding to the calcium and magnesium in my water keeping the cleaning ingredients free to clean and allowing everything to rinse clean. He told me to try Calgon in with the Tide first and if that doesn't work try Washing Soda. If those don't work try them together and add one to the rinse cycle too but that he only thought it would be necessary unless my water was super hard (which it shouldn't be bc all our water goes through a softener system first). Just wanted to share, I thought it was amazing of him to try to explain that to me even though I am sure he gave a dumbed down version lol.

I plan on upping my amount of Tide to the 2 line (I was getting stink with line 1) and going from there.

eta- he said about 80% of the US has some level of hard water which I thought was interesting.

Advertisement

Last edited by JamesWife; 08-26-2011 at 08:46 AM.
JamesWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: aahHA! So that's why!

Thanks for the info. I would like to hear about your results after making the changes. Luckily I still have a box of Original Tide but at some point it is going to run out.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
JamesWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will update after we get back in cloth. DD is is sposies for a few more days due to a yeast rash that I am pretty sure this Tide rash contributed to.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

borax works great too, this can be found at walmart. Yes i had the same issue with tide, i'm going to switch to country save detergent and see if that helps. Good luck!
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
JamesWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsbabymama View Post
borax works great too, this can be found at walmart. Yes i had the same issue with tide, i'm going to switch to country save detergent and see if that helps. Good luck!
yes he told me about that but said I read that it can be harsh on clothes.I thought about Country Save but I have found (at least with my water) I really need to use a detergent with enzymes. and thanks, you too!

Last edited by JamesWife; 08-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.
JamesWife is offline   Reply With Quote