Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
GinaKina
Registered Users

Need some BLW encouragement

We are having a rough day here! I think I just need some encouragement.

First, my 7.5 month old is barely ingesting anything, he is more interested on throwing his food on the floor. But when he does put in his mouth, he is getting much better at gumming and swallowing. Thats fine for his age, right? I know, "food before one is just for fun", everything else is just making me doubt myself.

Second, we are going to a wedding this weekend, he is staying with the inlaws that night. This is the longest I've ever been away from him. He has never taken a bottle, he has never had BM except from me. I understand that this is my fault, but I am SO worried about this weekend. I've been trying to "get him ready", but he won't use a sippy for more than a sip or two. He doesn't really like being "fed" water with an open cup either. The only suggestion we've been given so far that kind of just worked for my husband is feeding him baby cereal with milk, just enough cereal so that it will stay on the spoon. I don't want to spoon feed him He doesn't really like it, he looks at us like we're crazy. But I don't have any other ideas how else to get him the BM he needs. The wedding is 30 minutes away, I can't really leave in the middle for over an hour.

Third, he was constipated this morning. The Dr's office said to give him water and juice. Up to 7oz of juice!!! Obviously since I can't get him to take water from a sippy yet, I can't really get him to take juice either, but am I doing wrong by him by not forcing more water upon him? I always offer him water, he maybe has a sip. They also suggest prunes....and I can really only give that as a puree right now, right?

I know this sounds kind of crazy and frantic, but that's kind of how I feel right now . It feels like time is ticking, its less than a week away now. I still think that BLW was the best decision for us, but in general I'm doubting myself and my decisions right now in a bad way.

Advertisement

GinaKina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need some BLW encouragement

Don't worry about him throwing food on the floor and ingesting little of it. Thats what babies do. Its part of exploring food. Over time he will ingest more and more of it.

AFA the constipation. Apple juice is constipating so I wouldn't go with juice. I'd give some prune puree on a spoon or even a glob of it for him to play with and "feed" himself. We always did prune puree with my DD.

For the BM, could you try a Nuby sippy? They have different stages of "tops" you can interchange and the stage 1 one is much more bottle like. We had good luck with it. I think if he gets hungry and you aren't there, chances are he will take what is available. My girls were always particular about taking milk from a bottle from me or from DH if I was home but were better about it if I was not there.

GL mama.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Everything you are saying about solids sounds totally normal to me. If you didn't feel so much pressure from others, you probably wouldn't question yourself. At least, that's how I felt. My LO is now at 9 mo and still doesn't hardly "eat" so he's pretty much EBF and ya know what? He's FINE. He has stayed right on his growth curve, he's developmentally on track, he's healthy and happy, as far as speech he's actually ahead of his peers and surprising the doctor, so don't worry so much.

Under one is just for fun. If he wants to toss his food around instead of eat it... cool. Just get a big "splat mat" or keep him on the tile floor, hopefully you have a dog and afterward, throw him in the tub for some more fun! I know you're stressed (and I've been there) but you don't need to be. Promise.

About the bottle thing... I got nothing. My 9 mo won't take a bottle and we've tried a few. I've never actually left him to see what would happen so I can't say how that would go. I imagine if its just for a few hours or so, he'll either drink eventually from a bottle or he'll wait for you. Either way, I'm sure he'll be okay. I can say that to you but I've obviously never been able to do it myself - haha. GL!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
sandromeda
Registered Users
seller

I have a 4 month old and I've been searching for a bottle he would drink from... I'm hoping to start working part-time and up until now he gags whenever we try a bottle! I just found an adiri nursing bottle... it really looks like a boob! And he actually latches on to it, and doesn't gag. I don't know if it will help you out or not... also, you have to order them online, they are hard to find in the store. Good luck!
sandromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Oh! I've heard good things about Adiri bottles! I completely forgot about those, too. An IBCLC recommended them to me when I was tossing around the idea of using bottles. Thanks for the reminder, Sandromeda!