Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Khaag55
Registered Users
seller

1 hour Glucose test?

Did your doctor have you fast? I have read different things, some do some don't. It seems like the people asked to fast fail it. Thought???

Advertisement

Angela~mama to B(5/09) M(11/11) #3 6.11.13
Khaag55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
anniep78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dr told me not to fast just don't eat anything too sugary and I failed by a few points, when I went back for my 3 hour the lab tech said that's it's best to fast for the 1 hr, I passed the 3 hour with very good numbers.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1 hour Glucose test?

With my daughter I had to fast and failed and with this pregnancy I was told not to fast and still failed.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The GTT (glucose tolerance test) is more accurate when fasting. The problem is that most people are going for their appointment at random times during the day and fasting is impractical. If you're a diabetic (not pregnant) the GTT is a common test and always done fasting. Most people will schedule their appointment first thing the the morning. That's what I suggest doing. FWIW I work at the Diabetes and Glandular Disease clinic and we do all our lab tests in house. When I had my GTT I just took my OBs lab orders in to work and had our lab do it. I didn't fast because my doctor said not to since all her patients don't. It caused a big stink at my work because it wasn't fasting. I passed anyway so no biggie.
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Khaag55
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info girls. I plan to take mine Tuesday morning so ill probably just fast. I failed with my first ds and passed the 3. I hope i pass my 1 hour this time.
Angela~mama to B(5/09) M(11/11) #3 6.11.13
Khaag55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No, I was told on Thurs I don't have to fast for it. I did have to for my 3hr test at 9wks and was always told to fast with my previous pregnancies. I didn't for my twins because didn't know I was supposed to and for my 4th the made me do it during an NST even though I ate donuts for breakfast. I have passed every one of mine.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
munchkinsmama2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For what it's worth, I had to take that darn test three times with DS, and not because there was seriously any risk of GD for me. The first time was simply because I was overweight and it was "policy". I didn't intentionally fast, but I passed it with flying colors. The second time was the standard time for the test. I had a late night snack the night before and failed by three lousy points. Ignoring the fact that I had absolutely no other risk factors (no sugar in my urine, I had been LOSING weight, not gaining, etc), I was sent for the three hour test. Determined to pass, I intentionally fasted with that one - nothing after 8pm, test started at 8am the next day. I passed with flying colors again. Not once did my doctor tell me to fast.
Brianne, married to my sweetheart Eric, mommy to Reuben(4), and expecting #2 on or around 1-9-12
munchkinsmama2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
anahrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just told to fast for 2 hours before the 1 hour test. I have to fast for 12 hours with the 3 hour test. I am not sure how your test goes, but with mine I drink a cold Sunkist orange tasting drink. I always fail the 1 hour test, so this time I am skipping it and doing the 3 hour test. GL!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have always been told to fast before the 1 hr and each time I passed. This time, they sprung it on me at my peri appt (they do them early for everyone over 30?? No idea what that is about) and I had eaten a chocolate chip muffin for breakfast and completely failed it. I am still mad b/c now I have to take the 3 hr. Grrrr!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
anahrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MonkeysMomma View Post
I have always been told to fast before the 1 hr and each time I passed. This time, they sprung it on me at my peri appt (they do them early for everyone over 30?? No idea what that is about) and I had eaten a chocolate chip muffin for breakfast and completely failed it. I am still mad b/c now I have to take the 3 hr. Grrrr!
Did you tell them you had eaten? Maybe you can take the 1 hour again. I know the 3 hour really stinks. BTDT.