Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope. They didn't even tell me to not have anything sugary so I ate a pop tart and then failed. I had to take the 3 hour because I didn't think to tell them what I had eaten. I passed the 3 hour.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1 hour Glucose test?

Nope, my midwife just told me to hold off on sweet stuff the night before, and eat a complex carb breakfast with no sugar. I ate cereal and had a cup of coffee. I looked online before and I saw a site say don't eat anything within 1 hour of the test but you must have eaten within 3 hrs before (i.e. not fasting). So... I ate my breakfast around 8, took the test at 10. Passed completely fine. I have not bothered to fast or do anything special for previous pregnancies and I passed those ones too. I'm really glad because the 3hr test seems like a PITA. I couldn't fast overnight and then get up and go somewhere and then drink something sweet and then have to sit around for 3 hours. Nope.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
Wendylady
Registered Users

I was told to fast my first two pregnancies. First pregnancy passed the 1hr, second pregnancy failed the 1hr but passed the 3hr. This time I was told not to fast, just don't eat anything sugary for breakfast.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're not going to fast, try to limit the meal before it to just fat and protein. That way you'll not be starving, but it shouldn't throw off the numbers as much anyway. Actually, eating low-grain/low carb (within reason) is just a good idea all of the time. I'm splurging some because I'm pregnant, but I try to eat more fat and protein than carbs at every meal, in general.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, I just took mine, just had a bowl of cereal the night before(not sugary etc), I knew it was about 12 hours before test. Then in morning had slice of toast with little butter(told DH not the sweet cream one, he-he). And just passed, but wasn't really worried about passing as I always do and have done fine with any blood sugar tests for life ins etc.

Honestly, I need something in my stomach or I would have heaved that drink up.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have been testing my sugars at home and have gotten outstanding textbook numbers (81 morning fasted, 106 1 hr after a meal, 85 2 hrs after same meal that also include a soda here and there). I will test occasionally throughout the pregnancy but I'm hoping this is enough to convince the doctor to be fine with me refusing the test. Any thoughts on my strategy or results?

I barely passed the one hr last pregnancy, took the 3 hr and passed that too but felt like death for 3-4 days.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He can't force you to take it, right- for me it was more important that I felt okay not taking the test. So I would say that if you have been testing your sugars and are okay not doing the test, then just say "I'm confident that my sugars are fine and I don't need to take the test". and don't. At my office it was easy to do that because the doctor would tell me to make an appointment to get the GTT done, and I'd just leave the office without doing it. Eventually they stopped asking, and I always measured behind for fundal height and gained an average amount of weight, so there was no reason to suspect a problem.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
GC's Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

My midwife said to eat a low carb/high protein meal the day of, eat a high protein meal 1.5-2 hours before drinking the sugar drink.