Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Questions about freezing and thawing and crock pot meals

Questions about freezing and thawing:

Is there anything you have to add water to?
Do you cook the dish completely before freezing?
How do you know how long to cook it or what temp to cook on?
Can you take from freezer and put immediately in oven or do you have to let it sit first?
Any other freezing and thawing tips would be greatly appreciated as well. . .

Questions about crock pot meals:

How do you keep stuff from sticking to the bottom when it is cooking overnight?
How do you make it easy to wash after cooking?
Any other crock pot tips will be greatly appreciated as well. . .

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Questions about freezing and thawing and crock pot meals

As far as crock pots are concerned I just forget about it. I don't ever thaw anything out & I just toss it all in there & cook on low. You actually don't need to stir & just FYI every time you open the crock (lots of people open them to stir for some reason) it adds 20+ mins to the cooking time. Just a tidbit. Anyway, there is a lid on the crock so it's not like the water is cooking down & making it all baked on in there. You shouldn't have a problem w/stuff getting all cracked on and baked on the bottom. Just make sure there's enough liquid in there if you're cooking for a longer than normal crock cooking time period.

ETA: If you really want to make it easy to wash after cooking in a crock, they have these new liners for the crock pot. I haven't personally used them but hear they are a lifesaver. I personally use the DW for washing my crock so I never have trouble. I have a stone crockpot that just lifts out of the unit so it's not an issue.

Last edited by CMamma; 04-19-2007 at 01:28 PM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions about freezing and thawing and crock pot meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
As far as crock pots are concerned I just forget about it. I don't ever thaw anything out & I just toss it all in there & cook on low. You actually don't need to stir & just FYI every time you open the crock (lots of people open them to stir for some reason) it adds 20+ mins to the cooking time. Just a tidbit. Anyway, there is a lid on the crock so it's not like the water is cooking down & making it all baked on in there. You shouldn't have a problem w/stuff getting all cracked on and baked on the bottom. Just make sure there's enough liquid in there if you're cooking for a longer than normal crock cooking time period.

ETA: If you really want to make it easy to wash after cooking in a crock, they have these new liners for the crock pot. I haven't personally used them but hear they are a lifesaver. I personally use the DW for washing my crock so I never have trouble. I have a stone crockpot that just lifts out of the unit so it's not an issue.

Ah, I see. I have a crock pot that doesn't lift out and can't go in dishwasher. I will have to look into liners. I tried spraying with nonstick spray and it is supposed to be a nonstick crock pot, but never works out that way. . . I like chili thick and I guess I don't add enough water. . . It always sticks.