Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
How do you make coffee?

I cannot do it right

If I buy the instant packs *expensive* it tastes good.

If I use a can it never tastes the same. It is either watery or just a totally different taste. No perfect medium.

I use a good quality European coffee.

I don't understand

DH will drink can if I can figure out how to make it we can get rid of the other packs which cost about 10 a week.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
RoccerMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Boo'sMama
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you make coffee?

Are you putting in enough grounds? If so I might check the coffee maker...Make sure its heating properly.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I am not sure if I am putting in the right amount.

My coffee pot says it makes up to 12 cups. But thats way off.

When I put the water up too the 6 line it makes 2 standard coffee cups.

So I usually fill the things with like 6 scoops. I tried more but then it was the other extreme it was almost black and strong enough to make your hair stand on end lol.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I am really tempted to get a pad machine lol.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
wyldcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

The cup size varies from cup to cup, but There is no legal "standard" coffee cup, although most table settings come with cups that hold approximately 8-9 fluid ounces. If your coffee maker is marked with measurements in cups on the side, they could indicate anything from 6 to 8 ounces each cup.

You should use a full tablespoon of ground coffee for each 8 ounces of water. I do this and it comes out great

My Food Creations Blog --- Helping You Go Green With Style --- Earn Free Amazon GCs With Me
wyldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, it sounds like you may be putting in too many scoops. If you're making two mugs' worth, you want to put in two Tablespoons or so.

If worst comes to worst, you could try using a french press! They're really low-tech and I mine!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
MaBacon
Registered Users
seller

We have a 12 cup drip coffee pot. I do 1 heaping tablespoon for every 3 'cups' on the pot. So if I fill the water to 6 on the pot and dump it in, I use 2 heaping tablespoons of coffee. It's not super strong, but enough to get me going in the morning.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have a french press but don't know how to use it lol
Old 08-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here's how I use my french press... put 1 tablespoon per mugful into the french press (taking out the plunger first, of course ), pour boiling water over it (you may need to check first to see how much you need), stir, and then let it sit. Most people recommend five minutes, but I think it tastes better after ten. Keep in mind that the longer you let it sit, the more caffeinated it gets! Then put the plunger in, press it down as far as it can go... and pour yourself a cup of coffee! I think the french press is a little more forgiving flavor-wise because you're not running it through a paper filter, and it actually sits and soaks in the water so it releases the flavor a little better. It is a little more caffeinated than drip coffee for that exact reason, so you may need to keep that in mind with the bf'ing. Although I've been drinking coffee and pregnant/nursing for so long that DS actually likes the taste of it now. What have I created?? ;-)

I hope you find something that works for you!

I have heard that Germany is an awesome place to get coffee. *swoon* So jealous! ;-)
Old 08-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
wyldcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Once my coffee maker "dies"(watch it will last another 20 years now that I am going to say this) I am going to get a french press

My Food Creations Blog --- Helping You Go Green With Style --- Earn Free Amazon GCs With Me
wyldcat is offline   Reply With Quote