Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Sprolo
Registered Users
seller

Worried about my son.

I hoping it is a simple "Thats just the way he is" thing....

Whenever Gavin hears people get loud (cheering at a sporting event, praising him for walking, etc, singing Happy Birthday) he cries. Well, screams. Loud noises in general dont bother him. Loud trucks, snow plows, music, etc. He is fine with those. It is people behaving loudly.

My DH and I are not loud people on a regular basis. We do get into a good football or basketball game. We dont fight. When we have an argument, we have a civilized discussion. I dont yell at my children (with the exception of "no" and that isnt really yelling, it is a loud, short "no").

My daughter (his twin sister) has no issues with it. In fact, she tends to mimic the loudness, by getting loud herself.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal?

Gavin is not afraid of strangers, he is leery, but does not cry, etc..

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Worried about my son.

some kids react this way and it is normal, they just don't understand the loudness and excitement and it is scary for them. my son was this way and my daughter never went through it so maybe it's a boy thing, i am not sure but my son grew out of it and yours will too
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think some form of autism is having that.. BUT... at his age.. it is more likely just a normal reaction to something that he doesnt deal with every day .. I am sure that he will grow out of it.. my son when he was like a year he would freak out when we got with family and they got loud.. now he is the loud one
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Sprolo
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies. Im thinking we are just going to have to be a lot louder around here. lol.

He is also, the one who is more whiney, when he bumps his head, he is more "dramatic" about it, when Rachel is sitting in my lap, he HAS to be in my lap too. She is the complete opposite. Im thinking it might just be his thing right now. I hope.

We also just finally found a playgroup that is close enough to us (very small town, rural county) to got to, so I am hoping that a little more stimulation will help him out. I mean, if it makes him terribly uncomfortable, I will be right there, but I do think he needs some more exposure. Make sense?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
melirod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, my now 7 yr old DD was like that. We would not allow our guests to clap or sing Happy Birthday at her 1st b-day party because she would cry. We are now in the very early stages of having her tested for ASD. There is a difference though, DD was sensitive (still is, just not as bad as when little) to all load noises, not just people. All her senses are heightened. Does your son react to bright lights or certain smells? My DD as a baby would pull a blanket up over her face to block out the bright lights in stores. She can also smell (and is bothered by) odors that nobody else can smell. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just keep this behavior in mind as he gets older. I used to think that DD was just like that, part of her unique personality. Hopefully that is the case for your DS. If it is only loud people that seem to bother him, it probably is just something he'll grow out of. Then again, maybe he'll grow into an adult that can't stand loud people. I can relate to that.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Sprolo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melirod View Post
Yes, my now 7 yr old DD was like that. We would not allow our guests to clap or sing Happy Birthday at her 1st b-day party because she would cry. We are now in the very early stages of having her tested for ASD. There is a difference though, DD was sensitive (still is, just not as bad as when little) to all load noises, not just people. All her senses are heightened. Does your son react to bright lights or certain smells? My DD as a baby would pull a blanket up over her face to block out the bright lights in stores. She can also smell (and is bothered by) odors that nobody else can smell. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just keep this behavior in mind as he gets older. I used to think that DD was just like that, part of her unique personality. Hopefully that is the case for your DS. If it is only loud people that seem to bother him, it probably is just something he'll grow out of. Then again, maybe he'll grow into an adult that can't stand loud people. I can relate to that.
Bright lights he just squints at. He makes no attempt to cover up. Smells...the only thing he wrinkles his nose at is his liquid vitamins and frankly, I dont blame him! So far, the only thing he reacts to is loud people. He does have a tendency to like to play alone. He will sit with a book for 15 mintes (a long time in 13mo time), etc. I will keep his behaviour in mind though!! I think a lot of people, Autistic or not, have issues with loud people. Personally, I dont find loud talk, etc, important. I can her just fine at normal levels!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama..I wouldn't worry yourself too much, I am sure he just doesn't like loud people, the crowds maybe startle him and it could just be his personality. My son does have ASD and when he was a baby..EVERY sound bothered him even the doorbell ringing! Also, he reused to walk barefoot and would walk on his tip toes always covering his ears. He also played alone and got into one toy for a long time but when I say this I mean literally an hour or more of spinning the wheels on a toy car or something like that!!! He would scream and cry when I held him and threw up at the smell of some foods. I knew in my heart he wasn't "connected " to this world like the rest of us. ....so what I am saying is that his symptoms were SEVERE as well as when he got older ha never talked or made eye contact. He never pointed at things or waved bye bye or even babbled. I think you are right on when you say most people are bothered by loud people. I am too. Also, everyone has "sensory issues" .It is when it is very severe and routinly affecting the quality of your life, is when it is something to be concerned about
HTH
Old 04-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My middle child was (and still is a bit) really sensitive to all loud sounds. She gets upset easily. My youngest (my son) just gets louder. It really depends on the child. Your DS seems to be acting in a very normal way. If he doesn't have any other behaviors don't worry, but you could mention it to your Ped if you want peace of mind.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
Sprolo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amielia80 View Post
mama..I wouldn't worry yourself too much, I am sure he just doesn't like loud people, the crowds maybe startle him and it could just be his personality. My son does have ASD and when he was a baby..EVERY sound bothered him even the doorbell ringing! Also, he reused to walk barefoot and would walk on his tip toes always covering his ears. He also played alone and got into one toy for a long time but when I say this I mean literally an hour or more of spinning the wheels on a toy car or something like that!!! He would scream and cry when I held him and threw up at the smell of some foods. I knew in my heart he wasn't "connected " to this world like the rest of us. ....so what I am saying is that his symptoms were SEVERE as well as when he got older ha never talked or made eye contact. He never pointed at things or waved bye bye or even babbled. I think you are right on when you say most people are bothered by loud people. I am too. Also, everyone has "sensory issues" .It is when it is very severe and routinly affecting the quality of your life, is when it is something to be concerned about
HTH

Thank you, that does help a lot. to you! I am currently in school working (slowly) towards my degree in Early Childhood Ed. Next semester I have to have a specific "focus". I think my focus will be on Autism, with future semesters focusing on specific areas of Autism. Before I had children, had I seen a mama in the store with a child having a meltdown I would have walk right by and said to myself "Better her than me" (sad, I know), but now, knowing what little I know of autism and other behavioral disorders, I would offer help. Perhaps not with the child having the meltdown, but if she had other children, or if she needed help getting her groceries in the car while she worked to calm her child down. My eyes have been opened to wide now, I feel bad that I ever let the bad thoughts cross my mind.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Before I had kids I thought the same way"why can't she keep him quiet?" now I AM that mother with the screaming child! We all have felt that way at some point in time. I wish there were more people in the world like you. I have had very horrible experiences before with people telling DS to "shut up" I was horrified. I now have business cards in my bag explianing autism to hand to people like this. Now that he is older though, most people just stare with that "what is wrong with him look" I have had a very nice stranger couple help me once and I was so thankful for them. The husband carried DS to the car for me while his wife grabbed my baby and some bags. Having my son has opened my eyes to alot of things. Before him I had no idea. You will make a wonderful teacher someday because you already have that understanding. It is someone like you who I would want teaching my son!