View Poll Results: How are your children educated?
We homeschool our children 84 38.18%
We send our children to public school(s) 76 34.55%
We send them to public schools, but they are magnet or charter school(s) 13 5.91%
We send them to religious private school(s) 17 7.73%
We send them to non- religious private school(s) 9 4.09%
We are undecided, or going to change schooling for our children soon 21 9.55%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #21
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How will you, or how do you, educate your children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
We send them to public school. The only other options are homeschool or public catholic school. I would like to send them to the FI school but it is part of the Catholic system so I won't.

I am torn about what to do once they hit Grade 7 though. I don't want them going beyond Grade 6 in any of the schools here but I really don't think I could homeschool them either.
Just wanted to let you know that there are so many programs out there to help homeschool your older children (when they get that big).
I am currently homeschooling a 10th, 9th, 7th & 5th grader as well as a preschooler.
My personal choice was Abeka untill highschool then the older 2 changed to switched-on-schoolhouse. There are also lots of 4 year programs out there where they can obtain a diplomia upon graduation.

Good luck to you

Advertisement

mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #22
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd goes to a public charter school. i like the school very much but if i could afford it, i'd probably send her a private christian school. i'm hoping that by the time the baby starts 1st grade or so i will be able to do just that, for both kids. if not then the baby will attend the same school her sister is at now.
mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #23
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So is homeschooling in the US like HSing here where the kids HAVE to do their final year in a real school in order to graduate??

At least I know it's like that in Ontario, or WAS when I was in High school, lots of my friends were home schooled even my Principals kids

Okay I was curious and looked into the Waldorf school and the closest one to us is about 45 mins away. Not only that but the cost of it for one year from grade 1-8 is like 1yr University Tuition a little over 8000.00. WHOA

That's a lot.

How do people afford that? I mean we are saving for their University right now so I can't imagine paying that from start to finish for 15-16 yrs.

Last edited by GoddessWifeMom; 04-07-2007 at 09:42 PM.
GoddessWifeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #24
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessWifeMom View Post
So is homeschooling in the US like HSing here where the kids HAVE to do their final year in a real school in order to graduate??

At least I know it's like that in Ontario, or WAS when I was in High school, lots of my friends were home schooled even my Principals kids
Kids don't have to go to any public school in order to get a diploma. Some co- ops give out homeschooling diplomas, and the one I am involved with even does a graduation at their conference. I think a lot of HS kids get their GED. We aren't quite there yet, but some friends who have older kids have done that.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #25
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:

Our children will all be attending public school

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #26
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs169 View Post
Kids don't have to go to any public school in order to get a diploma. Some co- ops give out homeschooling diplomas, and the one I am involved with even does a graduation at their conference. I think a lot of HS kids get their GED. We aren't quite there yet, but some friends who have older kids have done that.
Ya I thought about the GED option after I posted.

I guess maybe all the people I knew just wanted their kids to go to highschool for the last year maybe.

Interesting.

If we didn't have such great schools here I would home school but I really don't feel the need to where we are.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #27
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we will homeschool

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #28
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We homeschool.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #29
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We homeschool and really enjoy it. Our next choice would be a religious private school though. We're not anti public school--my husband is a public school teacher as was I before kids, but we just don't feel they're the right choice for our kids because I like to keep our religious beliefs as a main focus throughout the day. Plus, it's just so much fun and rewarding to teach my own kids. I figure, since a great school district used to pay me to teach their city's kids, I should certainly be teaching my own now that I have the chance!
In regards to the questions about HS, my oldest is only 6, but I've talked to moms who've homeschooled and graduated their older kids. They said that their kids do not need to take the GED (though I could imagine they could if they wanted). There's no need since the parents award their children a high school diploma based on their family's graduation requirements, and this is considered a "real" diploma by employeres, colleges, etc. At least that's the case in our state, I don't know if this varies from state to state.
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #30
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessWifeMom View Post
Okay I was curious and looked into the Waldorf school and the closest one to us is about 45 mins away. Not only that but the cost of it for one year from grade 1-8 is like 1yr University Tuition a little over 8000.00. WHOA

That's a lot.

How do people afford that? I mean we are saving for their University right now so I can't imagine paying that from start to finish for 15-16 yrs.
To me, that isn't really very much. If you divide it down to the monthly cost; it seems reasonable to me. Especially for the quality and type of Education my child will be recieving. Heck, it's a lot less per month than most car payments! And I would rather drive our clunky old van and send my daughter to a wonderful school than the other way around

As for University, we plan to save as much as possible, but we are not going to make it a goal to save up ALL of the tuition for their entire University term. There are so many loans and grants (which don't even have to be paid bac) available to students now. There are other options besides mom and pop paying the way.

Waldorf is glorious. It's the only real school I would opt for. If something happened and we couldnt send her to a Waldorf school; she'd be homeschooled.