Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Xanthan or Guar gum in gluten free baking?

So my son's birthday is in about a month and a half, so just today I've started experimenting with cake recipes. I know for sure that he has a dairy and soy intolerance, and suspect a possible egg intolerance. Fortunately I actually have a great cake recipe that already excludes those ingredients.

However, I would also like to make the cake gluten free, since there are known gluten sensitivities in DH's side of the family. So today I made the recipe using Bob's Mill all purpose gluten free baking mix, and it's not bad, but a bit mushy. The texture is a little off (which doesn't bother me, but may bother others), and I'm not sure if it can be remedied, but I've just a little while ago heard about using xanthan gum or guar gum in gluten free recipes. Can someone walk me through this? What is the purpose of using these gums? Is it necessary? Do they really help with anything? Is one better than the other?

Wife to my College Sweetheart (7/08) Mommy to my Crazy Man (10/10) and my Little Bubs (7/13) Always missing our little Saint (10/12)
blessedwifenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Xanthan or Guar gum in gluten free baking?

I am definitely not an expert on this, but I have done some gf baking. I used xanthan gum. I think it acts in the same way as gluten does in wheat flour. It helps create lighter texture and gives the baked goods more rise. At least, that's what I remember.

I always read that it was necessary so I always used it.
Kristin, wife to Dan (16 years) , mom to Abby (14)
Emma (12) and Owen (7)
I cd my daycare kids! That's why I still hang out here!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Xanthan or Guar gum in gluten free baking?

Bob's Mill makes an awesome gluten free chocolate cake, it comes in a cake mix. It's really good!

Otherwise from scratch ANY gluten free recipe just about baking wise needs xanathm gum and it's expensive like 11 bucks for a small package...which might make you it more cost efficient for you to buy the the mix.
*Meagan*Love being a SAH Homeschooling Mama to my 4 + Baby 5 due 10/14.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote