Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Crib question please...

I posted this in my Due Date Club as well.

Okay, so my daughter is currently still using the crib we have, without the rail on as sort of a daybed type thing. I planned to use it for the new babe and get her a twin bed. But now I have an issue. My daughter's crib is one of the drop-sides that was recalled, but they sent me an immobilization kit so the rail no longer moves even if it is on. I used it with the kit for her for a while until we took the rail off. But now I wonder about using it for the new baby. I used it with DD when she was a small baby (before the recalls) with the mattress on the top setting (which isn't very high at all) and the rail down. When she got to where she was wiggling I would put the rail up. I could just leave the immobilizers on it this time around, but I just wonder if the height of the mattress will be high enough. Plus, I don't remember how long you're technically "supposed" to use a crib before replacing it.

Okay, sorry for the huge ramble, but I'm just worried about it. Any input is greatly appreciated ladies.

Advertisement

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

Re: Crib question please...

I am paranoid and would get a new crib for the baby. But that is just me. Some other mamas will probably say something else.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I would probably use it with the immobilizer/recall kit installed. I mean, if that drop side can't drop, I would think it pretty safe as that was the concern with that style of crib. I don't think a crib has an "expiration"date like a car seat does - as long as it hasn't been recalled (or has been fixed) - I would think it fine to use.

If the highest mattress setting is so low that it would be annoying to use with a newborn, then I'd get a new crib.
BSWmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it seems safe, you could use it. But I would be too afraid.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sure, immobilizing the crib rail makes it safe BUT it still keeps your crib at the current height. Our drop side crib was much taller than our nondrop side. Making a rail on a drop side stationary would make impossible for me to put any baby down, sleeping. I'm short. We bought new.