Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
jewell33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Buying a used pump is it ok?

I would buy new especially if you plan on having more children

Advertisement

jewell33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
thisismiss
Registered Users
seller

I bought my PIS used and used all my own parts that I already had. I was broke and desperately needed a double pump (I had been EPing with a new Medela Swing which worked great, but wasn't going to keep my supply up) I know everyone says its better to be safe than sorry, but I still don't think it's that bad...
thisismiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
scairns
Registered Users

Yeah having to start over buying everything for the baby is leaving us a bit short of spending money, cribs etc add up so fast. Thanks guys. I am actually wondering if the hospital rents them out or maybe WIC or Le leche but the leche group costs $40 to join I think.
scairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Mrs_R
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
I felt comfortable buying the Ameda Purely Yours used because it is a closed system pump. I would not feel comfortable buying the Medela pumps used because they are open system.

This site has a list of all the closed system pumps. With an open system the milk can get pulled into the motor and cause mold to grow, which can then get pushed back through the tubing, even if you buy all new tubing.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
thisismiss
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scairns View Post
Yeah having to start over buying everything for the baby is leaving us a bit short of spending money, cribs etc add up so fast. Thanks guys. I am actually wondering if the hospital rents them out or maybe WIC or Le leche but the leche group costs $40 to join I think.

Hospitals usually do rent them out, but they cost a lot, at least mine does... more than it would be to buy one brand new in the end. Some WICs have plenty on stock and will lend the out for one year periods, but it depends on your area. I didn't know it cost anything to join LLL... I attended a few meetings for free at least, but maybe that is different. Good luck anyway!
thisismiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
scairns
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismiss View Post
Hospitals usually do rent them out, but they cost a lot, at least mine does... more than it would be to buy one brand new in the end. Some WICs have plenty on stock and will lend the out for one year periods, but it depends on your area. I didn't know it cost anything to join LLL... I attended a few meetings for free at least, but maybe that is different. Good luck anyway!
Thanks
scairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

An Ameda Purely Yours, I'd buy used. A PISA I'd buy from a friend, but I am not entirely sure I'd buy used.

Pumps do wear out over time, so IMO, it is worth buying new so you get more milk.

LLL costs to join, but you don't have to be a member to go to the meetings. They just ask people do join to help support their national office, and it provides some money for the local chapter to do outreach. I went to the meetings for about 6 months without ever joining.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-03-2011 at 09:21 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #18
rushtodanger
Registered Users
seller

I think the proper answer is no, most open system breast pumps should be bought new and used by one person.

I did however, find this thread very interesting: Are used breast pumps a no-no?

This is an older model Medela Pump In Style. In my area they go for around $50 on craigslist. I've used one and it worked wonderfully. Ugly as heck, but very powerful and quiet. Just sayin'.
rushtodanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #19
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought 2 used Avent Isis IQ duos. They were wonderful. In fact I'm reselling one of them right now. They are a closed system pump though!