Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
Sageac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Left out

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
You did well. I wouldn't have thought to ask for one buts its nice as not everyone "gets" alternative families even thought it is probably the "norm". Its funny when people ask how many kids we have - who do you include. I say my husband has 4, I have one and my son also has a brother (full biological) above that.
I'll bet that gets some looks... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaNKris View Post
Thank you all who fought for a Non-traditional family forum to include ALL of us. We are a same gender couple expecting our first child. Though we have made purchases on DS, we were nervous about being declined if our identity as two women was revealed.

Thanks for making this a safer place to chat.
Kristina and Melissa
You're welcome. I am happy to have helped in making sure you felt more acceptable here. When are you due? what are you having? <--- baby envy

Advertisement

Minimal, Communal, Earthy, Crafty Loving Single-Mama to C E : R and baby D
Sageac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
MelissaNKris
Registered Users

My Mood:

We don't know what we're having yet. Still too soon to tell. We're due in May. Melissa is only 8 weeks today after a miscarriage 3 months ago. Neither one of us can wait to see who it is that will be joining us.
MelissaNKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
Sageac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so excited... let us know what you find out as LO grows? oh! I'm so excite for you.
Is she having many issues with nausea or other symptoms? Have you picked a doula? how are you planning to give birth?.. 8 weeks, at least you have time to get ready.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #24
MelissaNKris
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageac View Post
so excited... let us know what you find out as LO grows? oh! I'm so excite for you.
Is she having many issues with nausea or other symptoms? Have you picked a doula? how are you planning to give birth?.. 8 weeks, at least you have time to get ready.
Absolutely!! We are excited beyond words!!! Yeah Melissa is nauseated pretty well 24/7 except when she's eating Pickled Banana Peppers....She says they help...and goes through a jar of them very couple of days. lol I'm all for it if it keeps her out of the bathroom. Other than that her nips hurt really really bad. I feel so bad that when i give her a hug I accidentally hurt them. I guess that's normal? All I can really do right now is read every pregnancy book I can get my hands on so I know how to best support her.

No doula yet. I'm not even sure where to begin with that one! lol Melissa wants a hospital water birth. She wants to have back up close by in case anything goes awry. Other specifics haven't been worked out just yet.

As far as getting ready, we started that a few months before the positive test result came back. We have pretty much everything we'll need for baby...except diapers. lol We're building a stash one dipe at a time. Because I have a disability (left sided mild paralysis) we have to be very specific about gear so that I can use it safely by myself. Ex.. All of our dipes have to be aplix so I can change them too. Thankfully we have lots of time & friends with babies so I get plenty of practice before our LO arrives.
MelissaNKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #25
Sageac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wonderful! Tell her to try eating a slice of deli meat, or some other high-protein food if she feels nauseous. It works wonders... & I suggest getting a doula.

Here is one that's close to you: And she can help you find others if she's not the best fit/ you want to meet a few.
Krisfalusi S‎
306 Westburn Court
Seven Fields, PA 16046-8010
(724) 772-3938

A Doula helps you two interface with the hospital staff (They can be pushy/fear mongering even if they know your wishes and you have discussed and filed birth plans... ) helps walk you both through labor, takes care of you/Mama while the staff looks after the labor/birth. They can also come home and help with laundry/dishes/meals after the birth, assist with beginning nursing, help walk you through pregnancy and recovery symptoms... the list goes on and often times there are doulas in training that will give you steep discounts for the experience to help get their certification. (The rates are reasonable anyway, tho)

Ok... down off my soap box... so happy for you..

Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Melissa and Kristina, don't be worried about revealing your relationship/identities here on DS. We actually have several same sex couples here that are open about their relationships and I've never heard of any having issues with fsot. One couple I know quite well on facebook as well and I've never heard them say anything like that. I'm glad you have a place here to open up and be yourselves though. It helps.

Oh and congratulations on the new baby!!!!!! SUCH an exciting time!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #27
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Kris. DP & I have been very open on here...I figure "Why not?"...We're out IRL & a vast majority of the CDers I know IRL are big 'ole lesbians...I have no vested interest in prettying up the truth for a bunch of people I'll likely never really meet just for the sake of their comfort & a handful of CDs.

We've never had any problem w/ FSOT b/c of it--or if there was a problem, it was handled w/ enough class that I never picked up on it. There are a few (very few, really) members who, in the course of a heated discussion have put some homophobic/prejudiced comments out there. Not cool. But, OTOH, if you sit back, watch, & read a lot, you realize that many of the folks who can at times come across as closed-minded really are caring, giving people who hold to the tenets of their faith(s). With this in mind, I have a hard time squaring myself w/ the respective faiths/churches but try to be be fully accepting of the individual, KWIM?

It looks like you're a bit outside of Pitt...there are a number of DS members from that general area who are very accepting...maybe you can connect w/ them on the regional board?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #28
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Ok I never expected to be grossed out by reading these posts but geez...PICKLED BANANA PEPPERS????? ack...my preggy tummy is revolting!! Yea for the forum name...my sister has a HUGE blended family..regular step type family and my husband is from a weird blended family mix that confuses most people. We often have christmas with his mom/step dad, dad/step mom and my mom and yes we all get along! Good luck to all the families no matter how they get started.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Melissa and Kris
http://www.twomomsandababybump.blogspot.com/

This is my friend's blog about her and her wife's journey through getting pg. They are 22??? weeks along now. They are also in PA. Thought it might be interesting since they are fairly close to you. Their names are Hope and Hope.

So excited for both of you!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #30
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Melissa and Kris
http://www.twomomsandababybump.blogspot.com/

This is my friend's blog about her and her wife's journey through getting pg. They are 22??? weeks along now. They are also in PA. Thought it might be interesting since they are fairly close to you. Their names are Hope and Hope.

So excited for both of you!
That's kind of cool....Hope and Hope!