Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
LittleLady8
Registered Users
seller

CD safe barrier rash cream

ok, I need a rash cream that is a good barrier. My LO's butt is so sensitive, especially to his own poo. I have figured out some foods that make it worse but the 'butt burning' poos continue. I need a CD safe cream to use on him that works as a good barrier. I have tried California Baby and Burts Bee but the zinc in them dries his skin out with frequent use. CJ's doesn't do anything for us. The best creams have been A&D and Aquaphor but I am sick of using liners all the time. Also, these tend to seep through all types of liners and get on his diapers anyway. I'm actually looking forward to using Pampers on our trip this weekend bc I can lather him up without worry!

If I am only using cotton, do I really need to worry about getting A&D and Aquaphor on it? What if I just add a little bit Dawn to each wash?

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

Re: CD safe barrier rash cream

Coconut oil is amazing for that. I had issues w/ ds having sensitivities to his poo. At almost every diaper change when I was bf'ing there was poo in the diaper, which created the rash. We also used CA baby & cj's w/o much help.

I switched to cloth wipes. I inititally just made my own, now I have Cotton babies wipes. We started using the coconut oil, and also made sure to give him some time to be diaper free at diaper changes. I would hold a pf over him to avoid getting peed on, but let the heiny get some air for 5-10 minutes. I know you might not have the time for this, so just make sure he is dry before putting the new diaper on.

You can find coconut oil at most grocery stores. At a certain temperature it is a solid, it "melts" on contact w/ skin. GL!
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love coconut oil too!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was gonna say Coconut Oil as well! It works wonders on rashes! It is also a great protectant layer and makes easy changes (ie poop wipes off w/ease)
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
syntaxerror
Registered Users
seller

My friend who talked me through cloth diapering said coconut oil...so that's what I was planning on using
syntaxerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
joyojoy
Registered Users

Do I have to wait until the coconut oil is dry/absorbed into the skin before putting the diaper on?
joyojoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
memmerrill
Registered Users
seller

Is coconut oil ok for synthetics? Do you have to do anything special for cleaning?
memmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyojoy
Do I have to wait until the coconut oil is dry/absorbed into the skin before putting the diaper on?
Nope! At least I don't.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by memmerrill
Is coconut oil ok for synthetics? Do you have to do anything special for cleaning?
I have used it with synthetics with no problems. It has a very low melting point (73 degrees), so it very easily comes off the fabric in a hot wash. I've been using it for a long time with no residue issues.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have read but not tried yet that plantain leaves work really well. You just pick them fresh out of your lawn and rinse n air dry...then place them on the rash and the diaper will hold them in place. Sounds weird but I am going to try it!