Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What other aspects of natural living do you practice?

I recently saw a discussion as to what waldorf was all about. I guess i just assumed that everyone knew what that was. I think i have been on mothering.com far too long and i just thought that most AP families lead natural lifestyles. I guess i never thought that not everyone who cloth diapers leads a natural lifestyle. So what other natural family living practices do you follow??

Advertisement

Last edited by sahminaz; 04-08-2007 at 11:59 AM.
sahminaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
mom2lec
Registered Users

Re: What other aspects of natural living do you practice?

We try to use natural cleaning supplies and natural personal products, we try to eat organic and don't eat very many processed foods, we recycle, we don't use a lot of disposable products (i.e. paper plates, etc.), ummmm....

We have an uncirc'ed son, who also uses natural products (and of course cloth diapers/wipes), is allowed to follow his own needs (i.e. sleeping patterns/eating/being held) as much as possible and who would have been breastfed if my milk had come in (grrr...), and who was born with as few interventions as possible with the help of a wonderful midwife.

But, I don't know much about Waldorf either. And I do read Mothering...
mom2lec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Um well lets see, we homeschool, cloth diaper, cloth wipes, cloth feminine products (and the diva cup), no vax, no circ, exclusively breastfeed for 6 months and extended breastfeed after till child weans, co-sleep, babywear, gentle discipline, alternative medical, try to eat whole/organic foods (we aren't always good about this as we would like to be), and we try to use as many natural home care products as possible. I don't know how crunchy we are, and though I have an idea as to what Waldorf is I don't know that I could lay out the philosophy for you right here. We do alot more medical than I would like because Kearnan has special needs, and I don't homebirth though I would love to because I tend to have horrible things happen when I am pregnant/in labor. So I guess we do what works and don't do what doesn't. Just like everyone else.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
lovemysmilingboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I kinda thought that as well about AP and cloth diapering moms...realized not. I have a friend that APs and breastfeeds but not anything else natural!

Well I'm mixed because I didn't come in contact with info until later. We vac'd our boys but I think I would have held off if I wasn't so stupid and just went with the "crowd...wished I would have done my own research. Breastfeeding didn't work out for me (long story)...still have regrets but what can do you...but I did use organic formula. I also made my own baby food.

We eat only grass fed beef from a local small farm. We also get raw milk and our chickens (and eggs) from them. I believe in supporting small farms!!! I get fresh ground flour (weekly) from the small store the farm has, as well as other organic products.

I only use natural cleaning products...including laundry soap, dishwasher soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc.

We rarely eat out (once ever few months...just to subway), I make all my meal from scratch (the less processed the food the better)....bake everything (will not buy baked goods!!). I have my own garden and hope to do some canning this summer. We will be planting berry bushes this spring so next year I'll make my own jelly and jams!

I try to be as natural as possible. I would love to go to organic/hemp clothing but just can't afford it...I figure food is more important right now.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
lovemysmilingboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Um well lets see, we homeschool, cloth diaper, cloth wipes, cloth feminine products (and the diva cup), no vax, no circ, exclusively breastfeed for 6 months and extended breastfeed after till child weans, co-sleep, babywear, gentle discipline, alternative medical, try to eat whole/organic foods (we aren't always good about this as we would like to be), and we try to use as many natural home care products as possible. I don't know how crunchy we are, and though I have an idea as to what Waldorf is I don't know that I could lay out the philosophy for you right here. We do alot more medical than I would like because Kearnan has special needs, and I don't homebirth though I would love to because I tend to have horrible things happen when I am pregnant/in labor. So I guess we do what works and don't do what doesn't. Just like everyone else.
I would have loved a homebirth as well...but I didn't think about it the first time around. The labor and birth was horrible and so I was scared to try homebirth with the second (he turned out to be a painless and easy birth anyways..labor less then 3 hrs!!). But I didn't have an epidural with either of them.

I agree with you....you just have to do what works and what doesn't....at the time. I have to keep telling myself that about breastfeeding. I wanted to breastfeed so badly...it was tough to take when my body just wouldn't let it happen.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use cloth instead of toilet paper and paper towels, etc. We use natural body care and household products (toothpaste, dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, shampoo, soap, deodorant, and products for cleaning, etc). We cosleep, babywear, no circ, no vax, try to use homeopathic meds whenever possible, I stopped taking BC when DS was a few months old, we eat whole and organic foods as much as possible, and we unschool. DS was born via c-section due to his birth defects but I would love to have a UC next time if possible. He was also only BF for 2 months or so because the BC they gave me dried up my milk. I'm about to start trying to relactate though because DS is FTT and I'm hoping it will help. Also, my sister is pregnant and due this summer... she'll have to go back to work to a place where she won't be able to pump. And since I'll be the one babysitting, we're hoping that I'll be able to nurse her babe.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote