Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone BF and FF?

I'm considering supplementing with formula but I am worried about it affecting my supply. I really want to continue breastfeeding but a little help from daddy (I'm thinking a bottle per day) without having to worry about pumping would be wonderful.

Has anyone here have experience supplementing long term?

DD is almost 3 months and has been EBF since birth, and my first baby was EBF for a good 18 months so this is uncharted territory for me. So any tips for introducing a little formula are welcome!

Advertisement

Charrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think it would depend on your supply. I'm thinking of supplementing just to get mine down a bit. I had oversupply with dd2 and it was a mess.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone BF and FF?

If you are struggling with supply issues at all, I would stay away from supplementing unless you pump to make up the missed feeding. If you have a normal supply to over supply, I think you will be okay. Personally I would hesitate though on introducing formula unless I had to though. But I could not stand the smell of formula poop (we supplemented for 6 weeks with DS1).
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did both for awhile and it worked out pretty well. I did take fenugreek, and continued to pump. I ended up stopping after being back at work for a few months. I had issues with enogorgement and milk blisters, and the pump couldn't take care of it, which left me miserable at work. We now EFF and it's worked out fine. Giving up BFing was really hard on me (and I find it being even harder on me now than it was right at first). I say, it's up to you! If you pump, and have a good supply, I'm sure you'll be fine!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you already have a good supply established you should be fine. Both my LO's occasionally got bottles of formula and they were fine. It didnt' hurt my supply at all.

My first LO had formula and BM for the first few weeks.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I BF and FF. I had problems with my supply and tried everything to build it up without much success. I BF my son (7months) in the morning, he has bottles/baby food throughout the day and then I BF him at night. I am happy with itt right now. I feel like he is at least getting some breast milk and is much happier now than when being EBF
Old 09-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a normal supply, so I'm expecting it to lessen a little since there will be one less feeding per day but I'm still worried about it tanking. I'm so back and forth about doing it, but I think even that one bottle a day would lower my stress level. At the same time though I feel like since I can breastfeed and I'm at home with her all day that I should suck it up and do it....ugh mommy guilt!

Another little (rather silly) reason I'm hesistant is that I really love not having to spray off my diapers before washing and my LO is still pooping at least 4 times per day.
Charrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did with my first. He had one "Daddy Feeding" of formula which was right before we laid him down for bed. It really helped me out, giving me a break and honestly, it worked out great in the long run, b/c he didn't really develop that "I need mommy/nursing to fall asleep" and ended up being a great sleeper.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do both. I don't think one bottle of formula a day will really impact your diapers that much. I never sprayed mine and had little to no staining. (washing every other day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrey View Post
I have a normal supply, so I'm expecting it to lessen a little since there will be one less feeding per day but I'm still worried about it tanking. I'm so back and forth about doing it, but I think even that one bottle a day would lower my stress level. At the same time though I feel like since I can breastfeed and I'm at home with her all day that I should suck it up and do it....ugh mommy guilt!

Another little (rather silly) reason I'm hesistant is that I really love not having to spray off my diapers before washing and my LO is still pooping at least 4 times per day.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
benoliviaallen
Registered Users
seller

I would just be hesitant to do it if you don't have to. In the big picture, nursing is such a short time in your life. I wouldn't want to risk bottle preference or supply issues. It would also up your chances of getting your period back.