Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
Formerly: lilylouwho
seller
seller

Chicco keyfit 30 problem

We have a Keyfit 30 in the fuego color pattern. We are no longer using the infant inserts because he is too big and because he gets way too hot and sweaty when uses them and breaks out into a heat rash. Every time we put him in the seat he cries and cries like something is horribly wrong. Last night I finally figured out what the problem is. There is a strip of thick white piping that runs across the seat right where his head rests. Usually when I pick him up I don't look at the back of his head so I never noticed how much this piping hurts him until now. I have seen it (obviously) but assumed it was a strip of folded material rather than actual thick piping. Wrong. After being in the seat for only 15 minutes there was a dent so deep that it took hours to go away. A pencil would have fit in there. I took a picture of it after I had been holding him for at least 40 minutes and the dent was still awful looking. This morning I ran my fingers over the area where it was and it is obviously still very tender and possibly bruised. I'm not sure what to do about this. He isn't going to grow past that piping for a very long time but I can't have his head resting on it like it has been. This is clearly very painful for him. I tried putting a piece of fabric under his head but it only helps so much and it still seems to hurt. I don't think I can make the cushion thick enough to help without making his head lean forward quite a bit and I worry that this will be unsafe. Also, the fabric moves around while he is in the seat. I wrote an email to the company and hope to get a response soon. Luckily I have an extra Boulevard that my daughter uses in my husband's car so he can use that for now if need be. He's only 2 1/2 months old so I would really hate to have wasted that much money on a seat that we only use for 2 1/2 months. I really don't want to make him sit in that seat until we figure something out though. I feel really bad that I didn't realize that this was the problem until now. I thought he was just getting too hot and it was uncomfortable being sweaty all the time. Any ideas on how I can safely fix this? What were they thinking putting that piping there?!

Advertisement

Last edited by lilylouhoo; 09-14-2011 at 09:43 PM.
lilylouhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicco keyfit 30 problem

OUCH! We have the same seat, but the orange (no idea what it's called) we took the bottom pad out a long time ago, but I left the pillow part in. It velcros through the higher slots so it should stay put pretty good. Can you do that? I love my keyfit! I would be very upset if that was happening with DD!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh no!!! That poor dude! We've used it for 3 kids, no issues that's a really tough call.. Hmm. I'm a huge sucker for my kids. I'd sell it on CL and buy a different seat, a convertible. A marathon... Lol!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I thought about that too but his head gets really sweaty and breaks out in a heat rash where the pillow is. I put an organic cotton Flip insert in there and tucked it into the sun shade part. That sort of helps but I can still really feel it through the insert. I was feeling the piping and it's not even a nice smooth foam. It's bumpy and hard like a rope or cord, sort of like the drawstring from a sweatshirt hood. I wrote Chicco an email and asked if there was a different cover without the piping that I could exchange this one for. We will see what they say. Hopefully they at least stop using that piping.

Last edited by lilylouhoo; 09-15-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
TheAster
Registered Users

I have a Keyfit Miro, and I never noticed that piping until I read your post! My son is 18 pounds, and I've taken out all the inserts. By chance, I must have kept the head insert in until he was past the piping because I've never had a problem with it, though several weeks ago he used to cry for a minute or two whenever I put him in it... I hope the company does something for you!
TheAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, I have a Keyfit 30 in Fuego, but never noticed that My DD happily rode in this seat until she was 14 months old. We did leave the head pillow in until we had to move the straps to the top slots. I had read about a Mom making a little cotton pillow case cover for the head pillow (though I think it was because her baby was a spitter, not b/c of heat issues).

I can see the piping you are talking about here, but it didn't bother my DD.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
carlaross
Registered Users
seller

Poor baby!!! We have the same exact seat/travel system. My LO used it until he was 18+ months, he's tiny, but I've never noticed the piping. Going to look now.

If in your situation, we probably wouldnt be able to afford to buy a new seat, so I would just put something behind his little head to protect it.
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
Hmmm, I have a Keyfit 30 in Fuego, but never noticed that My DD happily rode in this seat until she was 14 months old. We did leave the head pillow in until we had to move the straps to the top slots. I had read about a Mom making a little cotton pillow case cover for the head pillow (though I think it was because her baby was a spitter, not b/c of heat issues).

I can see the piping you are talking about here, but it didn't bother my DD.
I think at that size the piping might be past the part of the head that really rests on the seat. I never would have noticed this either because usually when I take him out of the seat he is either sleeping or he is crying and I feed him right away. Usually he falls asleep after eating so I don't have occasion to look at the back of his head. This time I was at Cub Scouts trying to do a few things and I knew he only wanted to eat for comfort since he just ate. I turned him so he was facing away from me because he tends to forget that he was hungry if he isn't looking directly at the food source.

A lot of people I have talked to so far said that they think they left the head pillow thing in there long enough that the baby was past the piping by the time they took it out. That would definitely help. Maybe I will try putting the pillow back in to see how he feels about that. I took it out because he really seemed to hate it and would break out in a rash but that's probably better than this. At this point I am just mad at the designers and the seat and don't want to use it anymore. Totally rational, I know. lol
Old 09-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaross View Post
Poor baby!!! We have the same exact seat/travel system. My LO used it until he was 18+ months, he's tiny, but I've never noticed the piping. Going to look now.

If in your situation, we probably wouldnt be able to afford to buy a new seat, so I would just put something behind his little head to protect it.
We definitely don't want to just buy another one outright. I would hate to waste that much money on this seat! From what I understand I can return this seat to the store I bought it from and get store credit and then they will return it to Chicco as defective. I didn't want to stick them with an unusable seat but they said they won't be out any money either so I feel ok about that. I am waiting to see what Chicco says. If they have a different cover without any piping and are willing to trade with me, I will do that. Otherwise I think I am probably going to get something else. Even if I don't use the store credit for another seat I can use it for other things that I was going to buy anyway and then buy a seat somewhere else. Either way, I'm hoping to not just buy another seat.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
CrazyBoysMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

With cooler weather coming soon, maybe you'll be able to go back to using the pillow? Have you considered either using a scenera for a bit for him, or DD's extra seat and get her a Maestro as a back up?(whichever you think you'll get more use out of) Either way you could keep the keyfit in the trunk to use when you need somewhere for him to sit, and you could put in padding like a small pillow or a few prefolds that wouldn't be safe in the car, but fine if you're out to dinner or whatever.

Will you be my Swag friend? Pretty please?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CrazyBoysMamma
CrazyBoysMamma is offline   Reply With Quote