Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Subversive Cupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Officially last of my friends to RF

I didn't think it would happen this soon!! None of the kids are 2 yet, and the new recommendation is 2 years minimum. But my daughter is the last of the kids (in my close group of friends) that is rear facing.

I will admit, it's been a struggle. DH would like her to FF soon, she's in the 90-100th percentile for height AND weight, we've had to buy multiple carseats to keep her rear facing etc. etc. But really?!

They just seem so tiny!

((Rant over))

Advertisement

Subversive Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Re: Officially last of my friends to RF

I totally hear you. I talked with one of my friends about it when DS was still under 1 (at the time her DD was about 2 but almost as small as DS), and she was just like 'but it's so much easier to FF'. Stick to your guns, mama, RFing is 5 times safer.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have a handful of ERF friends but not many. It's frustrating to see so many littles FF but if their parents won't listen there isn't much we can do. I have been really working hard at getting through to moms when they're still pregnant or have very little babies because they're more receptive.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am the only one of my friends who is still rear facing and we all had babies around the same time. My DD is the oldest by a couple months - we have been rear facing and plan to do so until she is at least 2 if not longer.

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

We don't have many friends with young children, but I have never known anyone IRL to rf past a year....most not even to a year. I talked to my best friend for MONTHS about it, starting her dd was about 4 months and mine was about 3 months. The DAY her dd turned 1, they put her in a used seat she got for free for doing a music lesson for it was about to expire too. Also, she had the straps below her shoulders....I told her and she shrugged me off. It was a battle and I still hate to see the girl ffing (she's 16 months and 23 lbs now but still!) My dd is rfing (she is small though at 15 mths and about 17 lbs) but she will be rfing until the limits of her seat...40lbs or the height of a RA55

Don't let peer pressure get to you! You obviously know it's safest. How would you ever forgive yourself if the worse happened and you KNEW better? That's what I don't understand about my friend...I gave her all the info, she KNEW better but still does it! With something as important as your kids safety, you'd think more people would listen!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't know *anyone* else in real life who's ever rear-faced past a year. No one. Most of them turn their kids as soon as they hit 20lb and completely ignore the 12 month requirement. I saw a 2yo in a booster on FB the other day.
Even DH's cousin, who is a cop and spends a lot of time checking other folks' car seat installs turned both of his kids on their first birthdays.
Every other parent I know thinks I'm crazy for having DS RFing at 2.5.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post
I don't know *anyone* else in real life who's ever rear-faced past a year. No one. Most of them turn their kids as soon as they hit 20lb and completely ignore the 12 month requirement. I saw a 2yo in a booster on FB the other day.
Even DH's cousin, who is a cop and spends a lot of time checking other folks' car seat installs turned both of his kids on their first birthdays.
yep, this is me too! I didn't even bring up the crap I see on fb. I have learned that you can't fix stupid! a 2 yo in a booster is stupid of you ask me!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
allhiskids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know two people IRL that ERF besides me. But I don't care. Laugh if you like. My tiny boy is safer this way. Pediatrician said hooray at his four year check up.

Kathy Mama to Isaac 7-25 , Grace , Charlie , Heather
allhiskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post
asme here
Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep same here no matter how much I try to educate them. Everyone has their under 2 FF and started the day they turned 1 or before. Talking IRL friends, not friends from this site.

Sent from my LG Ally using DS Forum