Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
DecsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
BLS.. preparing foods question

I just started baby led solids last Sunday. We started with an avocado, which went great. It stayed in one solid piece and DS just gnawed on it for a little while. He got a little off with his two little teeth that have started to come in. After 4 days of that, we've switched to carrots now. I steamed a carrot to the point where a fork went into it easily. When I gave it to DS he took a big chunk off right away, held it in his mouth looking confused, then kindof gagged and spit it out. Scared the c*$p out of me. I didn't want to stick my finger in his mouth and push it down his throat to get it out. Is this how it's done? Should I not cook the foods as long to get that soft? I'm lost and ready to quit after the second food.

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: BLS.. preparing foods question

Gagging is normal with BLS.The fact that he spit it out shows he is learning what he can handle and what he cannot. He'll figure out the exact amount he needs for every bite in no time.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecsMama View Post
I just started baby led solids last Sunday. We started with an avocado, which went great. It stayed in one solid piece and DS just gnawed on it for a little while. He got a little off with his two little teeth that have started to come in. After 4 days of that, we've switched to carrots now. I steamed a carrot to the point where a fork went into it easily. When I gave it to DS he took a big chunk off right away, held it in his mouth looking confused, then kindof gagged and spit it out. Scared the c*$p out of me. I didn't want to stick my finger in his mouth and push it down his throat to get it out. Is this how it's done? Should I not cook the foods as long to get that soft? I'm lost and ready to quit after the second food.
Yep, what happened is very very normal. Have you read Gil Rapley's book or gone to her website. I suggest you do. http://www.rapleyweaning.com/
I never did single foods, my 6 month olds got whatever we were having for dinner, pretty much.
First meal was usually steamed broccoli florets, roasted chicken leg (bone and all it's perfectly safe, the bone is large) and potato wedges (no salt).
Banana was super popular, roasted vege wedges and sticks were awesome. They loved homemade burger patties and finger shaped pieces of cooked meat.
Make sure you don't give them the food, put it down in front of them and let them pick it up themselves. Also make sure they are completely 100% upright, no recline at all, as it is a choking hazard. Have fun too, eating is supposed to be fun not stress.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
DecsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willownz View Post
Yep, what happened is very very normal. Have you read Gil Rapley's book or gone to her website. I suggest you do. http://www.rapleyweaning.com/
I never did single foods, my 6 month olds got whatever we were having for dinner, pretty much.
First meal was usually steamed broccoli florets, roasted chicken leg (bone and all it's perfectly safe, the bone is large) and potato wedges (no salt).
Banana was super popular, roasted vege wedges and sticks were awesome. They loved homemade burger patties and finger shaped pieces of cooked meat.
Make sure you don't give them the food, put it down in front of them and let them pick it up themselves. Also make sure they are completely 100% upright, no recline at all, as it is a choking hazard. Have fun too, eating is supposed to be fun not stress.
Thanks, I will check out that site. I should get a book too. I've done a lot of reading on here about BLS and on an wholesomefoods website. ... He was sitting upright and I did just lay the food in front of him. I just think he wasn't expecting the chunk of food to come off in his mouth either, and was shocked not knowing what to do.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
GinaKina
Registered Users

Gagging is normal, but I don't cook my carrots to the point where he can easily get a chunk off like that. He more sucks on and gums them and little bits come off.
GinaKina is offline   Reply With Quote