Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
veggiegirl228
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Please tell me this will get better

It will get better... I had a rough start and know exactly where you are coming from...

Have you joined the La Leche League? You can join the forum for free

http://forums.llli.org/index.php

and have a montly meeting to extra support.

http://www.llli.org/Web/California.html

I find it very helpful at both the meetings and the forum....HTH

Also carrying them helps them to feel like they are still in the womb.. I use a moby wrap which is great.

's to you

Advertisement

veggiegirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella072 View Post
My DD was killing me at that age as well. Don't know how you feel about a pacifier, but that seemed to really help- DD was gaining weight really well though & it didn't affect nursing ( in terms of skipping normal feedings) at all.
Hang in there!!
oh, and I second the ring sling idea

I agree! The pacifier saved me for all 3!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydoodymom View Post
DS is 2 weeks old and nurses CONSTANTLY. I mean literally he's latched on all day and most of the night. If he's not on the boob, then he's screaming. I can't go anywhere or do anything but nurse him. It makes it hard to take care of my older kids! If I have to make them food or something, he just has to cry. It kills me. I have given him formula a couple times and he slept for 3 hours afterward. I don't want to stop nursing, but I'm hearing the formula's swan song. Is this ever going to get better? I even ordered some domperidone in case this is a supply issue. I nursed DD, but she didn't do this so I feel like a new mom!
DD was like that for about the first 4 weeks of her life. And she would nurse for almost an hour each time! Then break away for 20 minutes, then right back at it. Man were my nipples SORE! I didn't know what to expect, but it really did improve a great deal.
She is 9 months now, and still exclusively breastfeeding (no formula). She eats little nibbles of my food now and then, but not much. Though I am THRILLED to report that her daytime nursing is about every 3 hours, and only lasts about 15 minutes. And she only wakes once at night to nurse, too.

I think some babies are just nurse-a-holics.

As for the formula possibly making him more "full", I dont know if thats the case. It just takes longer to digest (it's more complex) but I wouldn't confuse that to mean that your milk is somehow insufficient at satisfying.
Also, nursing isn't just about food to a newborn. It's also their way of feeling comforted, secure and close to you. It's like a form of intimacy that they can only have with you! So it might not always be "Mom! Im hungry!" but just "Mom! I love you! I need you! I'm feeling alone!".

Have you introduced a pacifier at all? I know there is the whole danger of nipple confusion, but you might try it just a few times and see if that might give you a few minutes break to do other things.

In regards to whether your supply is low, I cant honestly say. Do you feel full? How many wet/soiled diapers is he having? If he has lots of poops and pee during the day, I'm guessing your milk supply is probably fine. You could always take a capsule of Fenugreek for a few days just to see.
You could also put him on the scale. If your milk supply isn't good, he probably won't be gaining much weight.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It WILL WILL WILL get better mama!
You can do it!
Give it a good 6 weeks at least - I found that to be a true "turning point" for us as far as having it be better at least some of the time. You've just got to take it one day at a time for now...

When your little one is a bit older, and still nursing, it will be SOOOOO easy and you will have (hopefully) many months of trouble-free, carefree nursing with them! No bottles to drag along, no clean-up!

It is super easy now with my ds and I am so glad we stuck with it through the beginning!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it will!
you might try compression to make sure he is really drinking and when he is just needing to suck use a pacifer if you need to take care of your family or yourself

my first nursed 2+hrs at a time, but didn't drink much, this time around its a lot better, he's still slow but not a constant attachment
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #16
leobaby04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hang in there, it's got to get better!
leobaby04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

It will absolutely get better!!! Big hugs to you, mama, I know how exhausting it is to have a little person attached to you 24/7.

The first 5 weeks of Henry's life he only wanted to nurse. No paci would substitute, he didn't want to walk, rock, ride... nothing. Just nurse. AND he would only nurse with me sitting straight up, so no sleep for me.

He OFTEN nursed for 15, 16, 17 hours STRAIGHT and once for 21 hours. NO JOKE. I would get up to pee or grab more water and he would howl.

I was making a ton of milk (actually had problems w/ oversupply once it was all said and done... lol) and he was pooping great. He just wanted to nurse. And only nurse. It was mostly comfort nursing, but nevertheless, my nipple had to be in his mouth.

Anyway, as extreme as he was, now, at 10 weeks old, he nurses ever 3-4 hours and very efficiently, but he is more interested in other things. He just wants to play all the time, and look at everything and hug his stuffed toys.

So YES!!! TRUST ME!!! I was JUST there and I promise, even though it seems right now like it will never end, it WILL get better! And soon, I'm sure!
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #18
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It will get better...I second what others have said about wearing him in a sling or pouch or something along those lines and making sure he is getting the hindmilk. Big hugs to you, you can do it! Giving him formula will make it worse though, not better if you are having supply issues, so I encourage you to continue nursing. You can do it mama!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #19
bizymamaof2
Registered Users
seller

It will get better! Hang in there! My 2nd was the same way. I don't know if I forgot or didn't realize it as much with the first but def. did when his lil' bro. came around cause I had 2 to tend to.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #20
nikkiof5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esthersmommy View Post
Ok, I promise, it does get better!!!!

Have you tried a sling, then you could pop him in and let him nurse but you can move around and have free arms???
YEP! My dd was like this. I got a Kangaroo Korner Adj Pouch and a Maya Ring Sling. I popped her in there, gave her the boob and went about my day. It was the only way I could get ANYTHING done.
nikkiof5 is offline   Reply With Quote