Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 AM   #21
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
My Mood:
Re: Please tell me this will get better

Originally Posted by Lisa-Rachelle View Post
DD was like that for about the first 4 weeks of her life. And she would nurse for almost an hour each time! Then break away for 20 minutes, then right back at it. Man were my nipples SORE! I didn't know what to expect, but it really did improve a great deal.
She is 9 months now, and still exclusively breastfeeding (no formula). She eats little nibbles of my food now and then, but not much. Though I am THRILLED to report that her daytime nursing is about every 3 hours, and only lasts about 15 minutes. And she only wakes once at night to nurse, too.

I think some babies are just nurse-a-holics.

As for the formula possibly making him more "full", I dont know if thats the case. It just takes longer to digest (it's more complex) but I wouldn't confuse that to mean that your milk is somehow insufficient at satisfying.
Also, nursing isn't just about food to a newborn. It's also their way of feeling comforted, secure and close to you. It's like a form of intimacy that they can only have with you! So it might not always be "Mom! Im hungry!" but just "Mom! I love you! I need you! I'm feeling alone!".

Have you introduced a pacifier at all? I know there is the whole danger of nipple confusion, but you might try it just a few times and see if that might give you a few minutes break to do other things.

In regards to whether your supply is low, I cant honestly say. Do you feel full? How many wet/soiled diapers is he having? If he has lots of poops and pee during the day, I'm guessing your milk supply is probably fine. You could always take a capsule of Fenugreek for a few days just to see.
You could also put him on the scale. If your milk supply isn't good, he probably won't be gaining much weight.
Great advice! I second everything!

Happy New Year!
Ashwin'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:

have you given him a pacifier...i did and it worked fine, I just gave him the maam or avent ones that were straight like a nipple. My son nursed just fine and although we have weened just recently for other reasons, he still loves his paci and it was never a problem for us. Hope this helps! eta...we used the paci from early on like week 2 or so and he's 1 yr and it never affected his nursing/latch.
-E- SAHM mom to 4/06 and 07/09

Last edited by e_mom_e; 04-11-2007 at 02:07 PM.
e_mom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #23
Registered Users

It will get better! Remember that this is very very temporary and the benefits of nursing to both DC and yourself are life long. I never used a paci for fear of it wrecking havoc on supply and the constant nursing never lasted too long. Hang in there!
kknutzen is offline   Reply With Quote