Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! DS will NOT sleep anymore!

Started nursing him at 7:30 tonight. 2.5 hours and several attempts to get him down he's still up. DH is trying to help but ds is just screaming. He's always taken at least 1.5 hrs to get to bed but he used to sleep from 9-3 or so. Now I'm lucky to get a couple hours. He won't take a paci or thumb. He will only comfort nurse. I love nursing him and I don't even mind getting up for a motn feed but it's starting to get exhausting. He slept better as a newborn! I don't know what to do. I'm going camping this week so he's pretty much going to be sleeping with me the whole time. I feel like I might need to do a CIO after our trip. I hate the thoughts of it and I really don't want to but I'm tired and he's tired and we just need sleep. I want to sleep with DH in our bed without a baby between us or me and the baby in the guest bed. I believe ds has gotten used to me being right there whenever he wants it day or night. I am happy to get him if he's hungry but I know in the 2.5 hrs I spent nursing him he got plenty. I could see/hear plenty of big gulps. He'll take himself off and I'll hold him a while then try to put him down but he'll wake up, roll over (he's a belly sleeper) and start screaming. If I leave him on his back he wakes up and screams. I've tried swaddling, doesn't help. I just don't know what to do. DH had been asking to do a nightly bottle since ds was born. I kept saying no. Now I wish I had because my evenings are nursing marathons that often end up with me just getting in bed with ds. Our other 2 got a nightly bottle and DH enjoyed that time and I was able to leave if I wanted to or just enjoy the break. But I never did pump much so it ended up being formula, then I felt it affected my supply so they got more and more bottles until they weaned by 4.5 months. I really wanted to go a year and do no formula but now I'm wondering what was I thinking? I don't want to still be doing 2.5 hour nursing marahons this time next year! I want to do extended bf but at this rate I'm note sure I can and stay sane. He doesn't nap during the day much either. I have to nurse him and he wakes when I try to put him down. I usually wear him but even then he'll only sleep 45 min or so and often less than that.

I just didn't experience this with my other 2. They got their bottle and went to bed. The whole routine took maybe 30 and dh handled it. They suck fingers too so they could soothe themselves. I love him to pieces and he's really laid back and easy going, as long as I am holding him, wearing him, or nearby. He will not stay in any childcare places like church or the gym.

Please help me know what to do!

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! DS will NOT sleep anymore!

Hey mama if this is unusual for him maybe there is something wrong?? Teething, growing, sick, ear infection, developmental advances. Sounds like something is going on and he needs you. Hang in there and comfort him. It will change again before you know it.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

What's his sleep like during the day? How old is he? Fwiw, my DS had to be latched on for naps and most of the night until 13 months. He's a better sleeper now. it'll get better!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He's 5 months and this has been going on for about a month. It's possible he's teething but he doesn't act in pain or uncomfortable. He will stop crying the instant I just walk in the room and stand over his crib. Or at least he won't be hysterical, he'll just be fussing and then stop once I pick him up. Basically, ever since he learned to roll over he hasn't been sleeping as well.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Every baby is different but the things you are describing sound perfectly normal to me. The baby just loves to be near you while he sleeps! He feels comfy, safe and happy when snuggled up against you, with milk in his mouth. My 10 month old DD is the same. She will occasionally sleep in the baby swing and in the minivan while driving, otherwise it's while snuggled up next to me in bed. If we are out for the day, she will also sleep in the sling and sometimes in the stroller. When we are home, I simply plan to lay with her for 1-2 hours. Occasionally she falls asleep deeply enough that I can slowly pull away, and get off the bed and leave the room (or stay in the room and do stuff) but usually that means she will not sleep a full nap, and will wake up sooner and then be a bit out of sorts for the rest of the day. I prefer her to get a nice big nap.

I think it was worse for a while when I used to try to leave once she was asleep. She was smart and she knew I would try to escape so she would wrap herself around me and grab my shirt, hold on tight and keep her latch strong so I couldn't leave.... Because she knew I would try to escape and she didn't want that. Once I started to plan 1-2 hours laying with her, things have gone more smoothly. I bring a book, or I listen to podcasts, or watch movies or shows on my Netflix app (iphone), or I simply nap. I tell myself that the first ten months have flown by and te next few will, too, and I try to cherish this short-lived snuggly time and give my baby what she wants most, me.
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb
He's 5 months and this has been going on for about a month. It's possible he's teething but he doesn't act in pain or uncomfortable. He will stop crying the instant I just walk in the room and stand over his crib. Or at least he won't be hysterical, he'll just be fussing and then stop once I pick him up. Basically, ever since he learned to roll over he hasn't been sleeping as well.
5 months is def way to young to CIO (which I am personally against), Yeah, what he's doing is normal. What time(s) does he nap during the day?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor

5 months is def way to young to CIO (which I am personally against), Yeah, what he's doing is normal. What time(s) does he nap during the day?
Yeah, I'm not really "for" it either. He generally naps by 9am, then again around midday, then maybe later in the afternoon. He just takes short little catnaps, especially if I hold him. If I nap with him we can get a good couple hours but with 2 older kids at home it's rare I can do that. I'm really hoping for him to do a really good am nap so I can use that as school time. And while I do enjoy letting him nurse or wearing him some, I guess there are times I just don't want him attached to me. Like I need my own personal space.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I'm sure it can be frustrating. Just tolerate it as much as you can. If you put him down and let him fuss, it could make him want to be with you more. So, it should be more trouble in the long run.

Last edited by Connor; 09-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

oops..sorry