Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Paranoid about supply

I'm constantly worried I've got low supply. DS seems healthy and happy, but how do you really know? He crys every time he is wet, so his diapers are always damp, never soaked. I never leak, never feel full (even in the mornings) and o ly feel let down sometimes. Am I crazy to be paranoid?

Advertisement

MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paranoid about supply

Hugs mama! How old is your babe? The best thing for your supply early on is to nurse, nurse and nurse some more. Making sure you are eating healthy and drinking lots of water!

BTW ~ Ds is 5m and I am still paranoid that my supply is low! I eat oatmeal for brekfast and before bed and also drink a Mother's Milk tea in the am and pm whenever I amd feeling low.
J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.

Last edited by The*Fab*Four; 08-13-2011 at 07:05 AM.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
tpb2930
Registered Users
seller

I felt like that too. Then added fenugreek and milk thistle to my supplements and that helped so much! My little guy is 11weeks sleeping 10 hrs at night and eating every 3-4 hrs during the day and I have have leftovers :0)
tpb2930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ultimately, if he's gaining, that's how you know. Is he?

Between weigh-ins, if he's pooping and peeing and seems pretty content after feeding, your supply is fine.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies. He's 3 months old. At first he was gaining almost 1/2 a pound a week, and then it slowed down to 1/2 lb every 2 weeks. This last couple of weeks I haven't noticed any gain, but I don't weigh him until this Thursday.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I purchased a scale for my DS#1. we went without a few things at the time but it helped me soooooooo much!!! I stopped worrying all the time as I saw him gain weight it was $70, 4 years ago. I sold it on here, after I was done!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
kneadedmommato4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First, From what you've posted, he seems to be doing well...

You are not crazy, although I am guessing this is your first nursing relationship? It's easy to get worried, especially because this type of relationship requires trust....in your body and in something you cannot see our measure, per se. Are you nursing on demand? Any pain with nursing? Latch on? Any cracked or bleeding nipples? Is he going at least 1 1/2 hours between most feedings? Are you nursing on both sides at each feed, or just one breast at a time? With that being said, the easiest way to know your baby is getting enough is the following....

6-8 wet diapers a day, 2-5 bm's a day(this can vary...some babies are so efficient at digestion this can even be once a day to once every few days)
no crystals or red dust in the urine, bm's are soft, mustardy look with "seeds"
demeanor - baby should have moments of quiet alert, moments of peaceful sleep, some fussiness is normal, constant is not
visual - is he plumping up? is his coloring healthy(rosy)? when you give a *gentle* pinch to his skin, does it stay pinched(dehydration) or go back to normal? Are his soft spots sunken in(severe dehydration)?
development - are you seeing signs of his development.....making eye contact, turning towards sound, responding to familiar people(Mom and Dad)

Congrats on your baby....thank him for this opportunity to learn trust and letting go....it can be a beautiful lesson if you are willing to allow it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump View Post
I'm constantly worried I've got low supply. DS seems healthy and happy, but how do you really know? He crys every time he is wet, so his diapers are always damp, never soaked. I never leak, never feel full (even in the mornings) and o ly feel let down sometimes. Am I crazy to be paranoid?
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Last edited by kneadedmommato4; 08-13-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: didn't finish a thought...oops!
kneadedmommato4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
I purchased a scale for my DS#1. we went without a few things at the time but it helped me soooooooo much!!! I stopped worrying all the time as I saw him gain weight it was $70, 4 years ago. I sold it on here, after I was done!
Thanks for the idea! Mine just came in the mail today. Can't wait to get it set up.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump View Post
Thanks for the idea! Mine just came in the mail today. Can't wait to get it set up.
Where do you learn more and/or buy this type of scale?
Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got mine at target. Probably labeled 'baby scale' I believe I had to order it online. Mine was digital