Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
8 month old drinks a lot of formula

I don't understand why my ds still drinks so much. He does 7-8oz for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and still wakes up twice where I give him 5oz...Why so much?

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: 8 month old drinks a lot of formula

My daughter still drank 3 oz bottles a day at 8 months, but she was a preemie (31 weeks) and sleeping through the night (well, not eating at night, but sometimes needing to be rocked back to sleep). How much solid food is he eating? Is he a big boy? My stepbrother was a LARGE baby, and so had to eat a LOT to continue growing. We're talking like 22 lbs at 3-4 months (not fat, just big, both mom and dad were tall). If you're tired of nighttime feedings, we weaned our daughter off hers. If he takes 5 twice a night, pick 1, and start decreasing (we did 2 oz cuz that's the increment you made formula in ). We did 1 week for each new amount. Then start decreasing the other. If he uses the bottle to go to sleep, it may be a comfort rather than hunger issue. We also would feed our daughter solid food 1st, then let her top off with the formula. Once she was closer to 10 months, we did breakfast, lunch and dinner solids, then 2 bottles as inbetween snacks while weaning her off her bedtime bottle. But our daughter was never attached to her bottle for comfort, so weaning was easy. Hope some of that helps! Also, my 2nd girl, breastfeed, still feeds 4 times a day and 2 at night. Every baby is different, and if you are all happy, then don't let anyone tell you somethings wrong when you know it's not!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Haha, I meant 8 oz a day at 8 months, not 3... ;P
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
happymom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 8 month old son takes 6oz every 3 hours... so like 5 bottles in a day. Sleeps 10 plus hours at night with no waking. He was nursing but prefers the bottle now. He eats two times a day.. maybe a half a jar of food and a few bites of cereal. He's a big boy, not fat, but very healthy.. I think your baby is fine.. they know what they need.

Last edited by happymom; 09-05-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added age
happymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't think that's a lot at all.

My DD is 11 months now and always ate 5oz every 2 hours for a total of 6x a day. Well, technically she ate 7-8 a day before she started sleep 10+ hours a night.

Now that she has decided that solids count as food (sometimes) she still eats 6-7x a day now and her bottles are 4-5oz.

Your kiddo sounds perfectly normal!

edit: I was thinking you originally meant frequency, but now I'm thinking you meant ounces.. My kiddo ate about 30oz at that age, which seems to be what yours is eating as well. So, I still think it sounds normal

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 09-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh.. I guess the 2x a night might be more odd (also normal).

But are you sure the night food isn't comfort/get back to sleep food? Perhaps try to give him one of those right before bed and see if he still wakes up for 2.

If his body is telling him he needs that many ounces in a day - you can try to make them more during daylight hours. See how that works.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD is almost 15 months, and she gets 2oz formula/4oz milk twice a day and 4oz formula/2oz milk before bed. She's right in the middle of the percentage. There's a lot of nutrition that they need in formula/breastmilk. Don't be in too much of a hurry to cut it out - there's time yet!
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
babylove921
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
My daughter still drank 3 oz bottles a day at 8 months, but she was a preemie (31 weeks) and sleeping through the night (well, not eating at night, but sometimes needing to be rocked back to sleep). How much solid food is he eating? Is he a big boy? My stepbrother was a LARGE baby, and so had to eat a LOT to continue growing. We're talking like 22 lbs at 3-4 months (not fat, just big, both mom and dad were tall). If you're tired of nighttime feedings, we weaned our daughter off hers. If he takes 5 twice a night, pick 1, and start decreasing (we did 2 oz cuz that's the increment you made formula in ). We did 1 week for each new amount. Then start decreasing the other. If he uses the bottle to go to sleep, it may be a comfort rather than hunger issue. We also would feed our daughter solid food 1st, then let her top off with the formula. Once she was closer to 10 months, we did breakfast, lunch and dinner solids, then 2 bottles as inbetween snacks while weaning her off her bedtime bottle. But our daughter was never attached to her bottle for comfort, so weaning was easy. Hope some of that helps! Also, my 2nd girl, breastfeed, still feeds 4 times a day and 2 at night. Every baby is different, and if you are all happy, then don't let anyone tell you somethings wrong when you know it's not!!
Yea, Asher is a big boy. 8 months yesterday, and he weighs 23 pounds maybe, he was 22 at his 6 month appt. He is 29 inches. A big ole boy.
He is on solid food, and has a snack everyday. He eats 3rd foods for dinner usually 3/4 of a jar, or something like a sweet potato, or green beans..Breakfast he gets applesauce and Oatmeal, or 3rd food spoonable smoothie, again 3/4 of jar with oatmeal, and lunch is always a veggy. Breakfast is generally around 7, lunch around 12, and dinner around 5(he gets 5oz bottle then( and 8oz right before bed, and still wants 5 oz twice at night, that just seems like a lot of formula/food.?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
babylove921
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahonycm View Post
My DD is almost 15 months, and she gets 2oz formula/4oz milk twice a day and 4oz formula/2oz milk before bed. She's right in the middle of the percentage. There's a lot of nutrition that they need in formula/breastmilk. Don't be in too much of a hurry to cut it out - there's time yet!
I am NOT in a hurry to get him off formula, just concerned I am the reason he is so big. He isn't fat by any means, just chunky.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
babylove921
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Oh.. I guess the 2x a night might be more odd (also normal).

But are you sure the night food isn't comfort/get back to sleep food? Perhaps try to give him one of those right before bed and see if he still wakes up for 2.

If his body is telling him he needs that many ounces in a day - you can try to make them more during daylight hours. See how that works.
He has never ate to sleep, so that would be weird, he doesn't do that during the day, but yes, at night, he eats, burps, and is right back to sleep.