Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:
(update)RSV ?s need help ASAP !! PLS..

Okay, DD#3 has been sick for almost 3 weeks now. I took her to the dr when it all started. Dr. said it was allergies (our pollen count is very high) So I had no problem be,iving this. BTW Addyson will be 6 months old on April 11th. So the Dr. told me to put her on zyrtec. I held off on it for a week or so. ONLY bc I belive she is to young to be taking it. Well when she got A LOT worse I gave in and started her on it. I still have not seen her get better... Now she has gone from a nild wet cough, clear runny nose, and being just a tad bit fussy to haveing a low grade fever (101ish may be teething) not being able to breath at all threw her nose, and the wrost cough I have ever herd. She is sooo congested, she can't sleep or even eat. I have been sucking her nose out as much as possible, but I can't over do it. And this am when I sucked her nose out I got some GREEN ... So here are my questions...

1. How does RSV start?

2. What are the symtoms?

3. How will they know for sure if its RSV?

4. Can it be treated outside the hospital ?

5. How do they treat it? ( God I hope not with a lot of antibiotics etc)

Also I was thinking maybe this could be a food allergie ?? I started her on foods about 3-4 weeks ago. Onlt bc I was having nursing issues and the LLLC told me that I could, just to keep her off the bottle and more at the breast. I have also herd of babies getting this sick from teething.. I'm just very worried here. So any advise on this would be great.. thank you !!

Nikki

Loving wife to Matt & CDing, Bfing, Co-sleeping, Baby wearing mommy to Amielya 1-29-02, Katelynn 3-12-04, and Addyson 10-11-06.

UPDATE!!!

I took Addyson to the dr. they sent her for a chest xray. .. They told me she has bronciolitus (sp) how the heck does a 6 month old get that? They called her in some xoponnex ( a clearer from of albuterol) and some pulmacort (sp) and an antibiotic. Now Im on the fince about weather or not to give her the antibiotics or the polmicort.. Im just unsure of the steriods. . .. Anyone with any experiacnces and advise? ty for all your support too.

Advertisement

Last edited by Nikkis_Little_Ladies; 04-09-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
southernmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: RSV ?s need help ASAP !! PLS..

It sounds like RSV to me.

My 3 1/2 mo has it now. It started with a slight cough and little bit of a wheeze. Gradually the cough got juicier sounding and more frequent. Within a day, I was sucking massive amounts of stuff out of her nose. On day 3, we rushed her to ER unconscious. She was not breathing. It was the scariest thing that has happened to me.

They can do a very simple test for RSV. They put a q-tip thing in their nose. We are at the tail end of RSV season but it's a possibility at any time. It can be very dangerous but can be treated at home if your baby is healthy to begin with. The big concern is for really small babies, babies with compromised immune systems due to other things, and pre-mature babies. We were at the ER twice and the ped office once within three days. They gave us a nebulizer and told us to keep her nose sucked out well. But my ped told me to be careful with the sucking, it can actually cause swelling and make the situation worse. The thing that worked for us was to put the saline stuff in her nose and then let her nurse, or if your baby take a paci to clear it out of there. Most of the time RSV can last up to a month, so most likely you are over the worst of it. I ended up taking my baby to the natuopath and she put her on some herbs and now 2 weeks later, she is miraculously better. Anti-biotics will not help.

PM me if you have any questions.

MAMA to 4 GIRLS- 12/96, 12/03, 4/05, 12/06
and my baby boy who waits in heaven with Jesus (2/17/03-2/18/03)

Old DS Feedback

Last edited by southernmama; 04-09-2007 at 06:51 AM.
southernmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
LeighaGrace
Registered Users

Could be a sinus infection from the junk staying in too long. With her temp not being overly high and you just now seeing green maybe the infection is just starting. So you can get her to the doctor before it hits her ears. Most often RSV sends Mamas to the ER or doctor immediatly the kids are so sick and have trouble breathing. It could be RSV but it is not as likely in a breast fed baby who is not around cig. smoke. Sometimes they don't know for sure if it's RSV they just treat it as if it were. They treat it with antibiotics, breathing treatments, etc. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
jendodson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The biggest sign you need to listen for is if the baby is wheezing- congestion, cough, etc. all are part of RSV... but the tell-tale sign of RSV is the wheezing.

My DS had RSV at 3 mo. old. (no smokers here and he is BF)- he was congested, and coughing, and then started to wheeze later- He also had a really bad ear infection (Dr. said that the RSV makes their little bodies more apt to catch other things while they are fighting off the RSV)

When in doubt, take your DC to the DR. you will feel much better to just hear it is a cold or allergies....
SAHM to DS (7/8/03) and DS#2 (9/28/06)
jendodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=nikki25_3;935843]

1. How does RSV start? IMO similar to a cold, coughing, sneezing, congestion, etc

2. What are the symtoms? see above plus wheezing/choking

3. How will they know for sure if its RSV? the dr does a nasal swap to test for it

4. Can it be treated outside the hospital ? yup, depending on how far it has progressed....dd was on albuteral treatments every 2 hours and orapred 1-2 X a day

5. How do they treat it? ( God I hope not with a lot of antibiotics etc) there is a shot to prevent it but your dd would have to meet certain criteria and bc its april i dont think they are giving it any more orapred is an antibiotic i think but it did wonderd for dd and even though we dont vax/medicate/etc i dont feel bad giving it to her bc it kept her out of the hospital QUOTE]

lmk if i can help dd had rsv 3X this winter
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD picked up RSV for her 1 year birthday. It started as a really bad cold and her breathing just got wheezier (sp?) and she became very lethargic. The pedi wasn't sure it was RSV and sent us to the hospital. There they did the test another mama described above (collecting mucus from deep within the sinus) to determine that it was RSV and not something else. Then all they did was administer things to alleviate some of her symptoms and monitor her oxygen levels. After 1.5 days, they sent her home (with an albuterol inhaler) because it's a virus that just simply has to run its course...to my knowledge, antibiotics are ineffective because its a virus. Hope it helps. BTW, my DD is very prone to respiratory problems now that she has had the virus (or so I was told). Every Fall/Winter she picks up a cold that most children get by with just a runny nose but she'll develop and hang onto a terrible cough for a few weeks.

to you because although it all turned out A-OK for us, it's still a scary experience for a mama
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
jendodson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes to what the PP said! I forgot that part.

DS had a steriod shot that the pedi. gave him to help his lungs. No antibiotics for the RSV since it is viral (we still had some for the ear infection). One suggestion I was given by the emergency Pedi (when DS sounded worse, it was nighttime (figures!).. was to hold your DC with the steam from a warm mist humidifier (obviously far enough away to not get burnt) for about 15 minutes, two times a day. This helps in loosening up the stuff in the sinus to help you really get the mucus out with the bulb- that getting it out was the best thing you could do to clear them of the virus.
SAHM to DS (7/8/03) and DS#2 (9/28/06)
jendodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: (update)RSV ?s need help ASAP !! PLS..

Both my son and daughter had it when they were about 5 months old. We were prescribed a nebuliser to give him breathing treatments of albuterol and a steroid to make his lungs stronger.
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki25_3 View Post

UPDATE!!!

I took Addyson to the dr. they sent her for a chest xray. .. They told me she has bronciolitus (sp) how the heck does a 6 month old get that? They called her in some xoponnex ( a clearer from of albuterol) and some pulmacort (sp) and an antibiotic. Now Im on the fince about weather or not to give her the antibiotics or the polmicort.. Im just unsure of the steriods. . .. Anyone with any experiacnces and advise? ty for all your support too.

She probably got it from the allergies draining into her chest and her not being able to get out the gunk from coughing. I don't like antibiotics generally, but in this case I would defiantly give them. Your dd needs them to get better. Personally I hate steroids from my own experience of being on and off of them myself, but when I have bronchitis they are the only thing that can get me well. So they are a necessary evil. I'm sure you doc really thought she needed them or he wouldn't have prescribed them to such a young baby. If your dd is already needing xoponnex to help with her breathing, the steroids will hell keep her from needing that so much right now. Hope she gets better fast.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
southernmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bronchiolitis is what the paper said when I left the hospital with a positive RSV test. I think it's a blanket diagnosis for anything lung related. Xopenex (sp) is what my dd was prescribed and to be honest, it really didn't help a whole lot. The saline helped and the herbs is what got rid of it completely.

The dr's alos told me that she will be suseptible to it now that she has had it. And I find that to be true in my 3yo. She has gotten it at this same time every year and I really think it is allergy related. It happens at the first sign of pollen.

MAMA to 4 GIRLS- 12/96, 12/03, 4/05, 12/06
and my baby boy who waits in heaven with Jesus (2/17/03-2/18/03)

Old DS Feedback
southernmama is offline   Reply With Quote