Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
mummy2lolo
Registered Users
Formerly: cay***ali

DH is losing it over the water bill HELP!

So water where I live is VERY costly. Our bill is like $200. Disposables are also pricey too of course, but the DH is really looking at our CDing.

I am not dealing with poopy diapers anymore and we are ECing and catching the poos. Is there a way I could eliminate the prewash? I am already washing and rinsing on the lowest water setting I can without getting stink.

We have softbums and MF inserts.

Advertisement

mummy2lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

I usually rinse each dipe in our utility sink before tossing them in the pail. Mostly really wet pees (if the inserts are soaked) and wash all poo out, so nothing yucky ever goes into the washer. I feel comfortable enough to skip a pre rinse if we were having this issue. But oh my word! $200!? We wash every other day, plus laundry and showers for 4, dishwasher... etc.. and our most expensive bill was $50.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DH is losing it over the water bill HELP!

If you're only washing wet diapers, not soiled, I say skip the pre rinse.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know that I would skip the prerinse, especially with MF. It is my understanding that the prerinse gets rid of the bulk of the urine in the inserts. If you skip it you are essentially washing your diapers in unrine water. (Maybe this is not right, but it what I have been told/read in the past.) I would say to maybe switch to something cotton like flats or prefolds instead of MF inserts. They seem to wash better and easier and don't require as long of a cycle to get clean.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
mummy2lolo
Registered Users
Formerly: cay***ali

okey gonna try it, I gotta try something at this point!! My nanny too is guilty of washing too often I think, even just the regular laundry.
mummy2lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

check your water pressure. our bills have been high since we moved in 6 years ago and recently we had a bad leak and the guy who helped dh fix it checked our pressure and it was 4x what it should have been(kind of sucks now lol) or ater bill dropped considerably though.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2lolo View Post
So water where I live is VERY costly. Our bill is like $200. Disposables are also pricey too of course, but the DH is really looking at our CDing.

I am not dealing with poopy diapers anymore and we are ECing and catching the poos. Is there a way I could eliminate the prewash? I am already washing and rinsing on the lowest water setting I can without getting stink.

We have softbums and MF inserts.
And that's for one month of water? Holy Cow. Our bill runs a little over 200, but we pay quarterly and live in a large household.

I don't really have any advice to offer. I'm way too new to CDing. Maybe a switch over to natural fibers so you don't have to worry about stink as much? You could probably get and stuff with PF's.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Octmom2009
Registered Users
seller

We currently only have pee diapers as well so I hand rinse every diaper as it comes off so I don't prewash. Our water is not near the cost of yours though. I paid a little less then $35 a month and I wash diapers every other day.
Octmom2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about using a wet pail (if you're using a dry pail right now)? I've thought about doing that but because our laundry is in the basement I just CANNOT carry it. But if you have the right set up, you could have all your dipes soaking before you wash, pour it all in, add soap, wash and rinse....

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

Do you live where I do? LOL! That's how much our water bill was a month until we got HE washer, toilets and shower head. We're down to $150 with those improvements. Honestly, I couldn't skip a pre-rinse, especially with microfiber. I'm not a fan of wet pails, either. I don't see how soaking a diaper in stinky water will help. KWIM? Sorry the water bill is so high...I feel your pain. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't see that much of an increase in ours just from the diapers--it has always been that high. So mabye the diaper laundry isn't costing as much as you think?
MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote