Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
mama2cuties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me decide...Cosleeper or Amby?

So the baby is due in 5 weeks and DH and I still can't decide which bed to buy...Cosleeper mini or Amby.

DH thinks the Amby b/c he thinks it looks easier to set up & take down for visiting parents out of town. We both like the fact that it swings. I think the cosleeper might be easier for nightime nursing, tho. I'm guessing nobody owns both beds, but I'd love feedback from mamas who have used one or the other! They both seem to be so loved that I can't decide which is better .

Does anyone know how wide the base of the Amby is? I only have about 32 inches between my side of the bed and the dresser.

Thanks!
Katie

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me decide...Cosleeper or Amby?

Definately a cosleeper! Get the full size, and you can use it for as long as they would need a crib. I know from nightime nursing, it was hard for me to wake up every hour, so being able to just easily grab ds from the cosleeper was a lifesaver. I dont think you can use an amby that long? I had a mini cosleeper, and it folded very small, but ds grew out of it at 4 months when he was able to pull himself up and climb out. I recommend a full size so you can let them sleep at the bottom when they are bigger.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally never used our co sleeper, she didn't want to be in it, she justwanted to be latched to my boob all night.

I haven't tried an amby, but i really wanted one! I think it would have made a big difference to her sleeping habits!

You can get a toddler kit and it will last a long time!
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
jendodson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The amby base is pretty wide (I don't currently have one to measure for you)....

I had tried an Amby from a friend with DS. He hated it, and so did her DS... I would suggest a co-sleeper.
SAHM to DS (7/8/03) and DS#2 (9/28/06)
jendodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
sparkygirl74
Registered Users
seller
seller

For my first DD I had a co-sleeper and I liked it fine, but more often than not dd was in bed with me. My best friend got an amby and her son never really slept in it. She just had her second and I am pregnant with mine so we are switching to see if we like each others.
I will let you know in Nov. lol
Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have an Original Cosleeper but my ds will not sleep in it. He has to be sleeping right next to me with full access to his food. IMO, it was an expensive safety net incase he were to fall.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
childress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DD #1 we co-slept in the new King-sized bed with an attachment on it that functioned much as a guardrail does for a bunkbed. It was nice and easy to take down, use, etc. Five years later, DW *had* to have a cosleeper with DD#2, fortunately her mom and dad paid for it since she wanted the model that converts to a pack-n-play ($$$).

I can say with great assurance that it will not be used as a pack-n-play until the day it is finished as a co-sleeper. If it is taken down early, it's days as a co-sleeper are over, because I'm not going to put it together again -- it was a PITA to setup, and the instruction manual must be followed exactly. Of course sprinkled througout the manual is 'your child will die if you don't do this exactly right' or some legalease that gave the similar impression (I set it up over 4 months ago, so obviously it made an impression :-(

Spend the $$$ on a bunkbed side rail and buy yourself a bigger bed. We also did not really use the crib until DD was a toddler (it converted to a toddler bed) and almost 5 months along DD#2, it's only been used to hold laundry)

Co-sleeping in the bed is cheaper, easier (nursing/bottle) and a lot less stressful to setup/take down. It's also what 90% of the rest of the world does. It's not that we don't use the co-sleeper, it's just with a King bed, there's plenty of room (until the 5 year old comes into the bed too ;-) But that's fun too.
childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
BRIDEN
Registered Users
Formerly: brveille
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
I have an Original Cosleeper but my ds will not sleep in it. He has to be sleeping right next to me with full access to his food. IMO, it was an expensive safety net incase he were to fall.
We have the cosleeper and my 10m never slept in it.. But it too does provide a nice (expensive) safety net in case he were to fall..
Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
DEmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are doing Amby this time. #2 had some reflux issues, I'm hoping the incline and gentle sway will help. DH hates to co-sleep and #1 & #2 hated the openess of the crib, both liked co-sleeping. Thinking the confined feeling of the amby will replicate the womb and help with the security
DEmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The base is 28"

You can add a second spring for toddlers so they can still use it!