Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Registered Users
Have you ever re-sized dipes or trainers? Sewing question!

I need some assistance from someone more crafty/capable than myself! I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure exactly where it should go.

Some of you mommas who make CD or who have the know-how, might be able to give me some advice. I'm good for basic sewing projects (own a machine, can make a blanket, nursing cover, etc. but I' completely self-taught and projects end up being much more work than I originally anticipate).

I recently got a great set of WAHM-made trainers for DD for night and naptime, and we really need them. The problem is, despite careful measuring and communication with the WAHM, they are way too big!

Now, I know that I can sell them (this WAHM makes fairly popular trainers) but we need them! And, DD thinks that they are so pretty, and refuses to go back into diapers for naps and nighttime.

We've been getting by by double-stuffing them (they are stuffable trainers) and using covers over the top. But, without the covers, they do not even stay up. And, they'd be a lot less prone to leaks if the leg and waist holes actually met up with her body!

So, I am contemplating folding them in on each side and probably at the bottom of each leg hole and sewing them down. This will not be the cleanest look, but if I use my sewing machine, I don't think that it will look that bad either. They have an inner organic velor (cotton, I think) which is also the pocket, a hidden layer of PUL, and a knit outer. The seams for each of those and the trim do not match-up so I don't think that I can easily pull them apart and put them back together.

I'm hesitant to sell them off, because then, what would we use? I'd have to sell them and then order new ones in the right size, and it took nearly a month for this first set to get to me. We need them now!

I'm just wondering if this is a bad idea and I should just re-sell before I ruin them. Or is there some other way to make these usable for DD? These babys weren't cheap, and I wanted to re-use them for DD#2. As they are, I'm assuming that DD#2 wouldn't be able to use them someday either, because presumably she will be about the same size when she would need them too.

What would you do?

K1kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Have you ever re-sized dipes or trainers? Sewing question!

OK...just now saw the craft forum. This would probably go there. If only I know how to move it!
K1kid is offline   Reply With Quote