Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
dreamgirl
Registered Users

Did you bring your own bottles to the hospital?

or did you just use whatever they gave you? If you used what the hospital had, then was it hard for your baby to transition over to your own bottles/nipples?

Advertisement

dreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you bring your own bottles to the hospital?

I will be nursing, but I will bring my own bottles with me in case I'm not up for nursing and just want to rest. Do you already know what formula you will be using? If so, definitely bring your own bottles AND formula. Your baby can get use to whatever you feed it there (like Similac or Enfamil) and then have a hard time transitioning when you get home.

I will pack the Organic Walmart brand formula we will have for back-up, just in case I need it. I don't want my LO to get use to the Similac or Enfamil and then not be able to switch back. My son had a HORRIBLE time with that. The hospital gave him Similac, but WIC only gave me Enfamil, so he had to switch. It was hard.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The same can go for the nipples, too. So I would bring both.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had bought slow flow nipples for the bottles we had at home, the hospital staff sometime during our stay ended up switching to the normal nipples instead of the slow flow so when we got home, the girls would get frustrated with the slow flow. I had to go and buy new nipples for all the bottles so that they'd actually eat more than 1/2 an ounce.

If you want a certain formula for your LO, request it at the hospital, they usually have both similac and enfamil, sometimes they also have good start and request the nipple flow size you want. If you want to use wide mouth nipples you may want to bring the bottles so your baby doesn't get used to the regular small nipples. I think most people just use what the hospital has, though.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

We didn't worry about it and just used theirs - they had the nice little 2 oz ones and we bought a bunch for after we left the hospital when we left the hospital and nipples. We had to switch formulas several times and for us the only big deal was finding the right formula.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
OneDayAtATime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We just used what the hospital provided.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD was having trouble with the nipples the hospital provided so we brought our own and she did much better. We used the wide venti air and the wider nipple really helped her
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
TheKayla
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am bringing my own bottles as well as my own pacifiers. I already know that the hospital has Enfamil.

When I asked the birthing class nurse about this, she said it was a brilliant idea, and what she would do if she was in my shoes.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
heidijo
Registered Users
seller

we only breastfed at the hospital and they gave us some finger feeders which are great for the first week so they can still breastfeed if the milk supply isn't there yet.
heidijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
nktigger99
Banned
seller

My Mood:

We did with the twins...but I was the one that ended up hating the bottles...I was set on using the playtex drop ins...ya not for me...nothing wrong with them just not for me. so we just used the nursettes that the hospital gave us. Then when we left the hospital we had to swing by the store and pic up some formula plus some bottles with the same kind of nipple...I chose the evenflo glass bottles...then switched to the plastic ones when we moved to 8 ounce bottles(that way I could afford a few days worth of bottles).

Formula i knew they would offer Good Start since that is what WIC gives out here and I was okay with that...I did switch to Soy after about 12 hours since one of my twins kept spitting up the regular formula...they are doing wonderful on it now at 3 months!
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote