Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
arstrob
Registered Users

Can't get rid of clumps in formula!

I have recently switched to enfamil prosobee soy formula and when my wic runs out i've been buying the parents choice cause its soo much cheaper! Anyways, when I use the prosobee it's really clumpy but I can get it out when I mix it with a spoon instead of shaking it but with the parents choice there are sooo many clumps and i can never get them all out! They get stuck in the nipple of my daughters bottle and she can't get anything out and boooy does she get mad! Does anyone have any advice of how to get rid of all the clumps and get it mixed up 100%?

Advertisement

arstrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can't get rid of clumps in formula!

First, what temperature water are you using? You might have better luck with hot water and then letting the bottle cool down.

Second, if you have a large measuring cup you can make the formula in there and use a wisk to mix it. Hold the top of the wisk between your palms and slide your hands back and forth to spin it super fast.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

Add the formula to the water, not the water to the formula. That should help. Plus you can preheat the water (to a warm temp) then add the formula. That should help things go into solution. Also , swirl the bottle before you shake it.

If none of that works I suppose you could premix in a bowl with a whisk, but that's a lot of extra stuff to wash.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

We found that using room temp water rather than cold seems to help. Also, how many ounces are you making at a time and in what size bottle? We had bottles that were 9 ounces, but would usually just mixed 6 ounces in them so there was room in the bottle for everything to mix/dissolve well. You could even make a day's worth of formula using some sort of container with a lid and just shake shake shake!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Most amazing formula-related item, ever

http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/dr...FYZ_QgodIhAAiQ

Just do not overfill the pitcher - make 24 ounces instead of 32. Then it's all ready in the fridge and you just pour it into the bottles.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Acrosthec
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
Most amazing formula-related item, ever

Just do not overfill the pitcher - make 24 ounces instead of 32. Then it's all ready in the fridge and you just pour it into the bottles.
Yes! This pitcher is amazing. PP is right, though. It says it makes 32 ounces of formula, and I'm sure it will, but keep in mind that is PREPARED formula. We added 26 ounces of water last night and got 30 ounces of prepared formula for our bottles. I would be scared to add much more, as that was very near to the top of the pitcher.
Acrosthec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I used a blender! Works great. Made a days worth of formula and pre-poured in my bottles and stored them in the fridge, then just heated as needed.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I use a fork to mix it up. Works great!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrosthec View Post
Yes! This pitcher is amazing. PP is right, though. It says it makes 32 ounces of formula, and I'm sure it will, but keep in mind that is PREPARED formula. We added 26 ounces of water last night and got 30 ounces of prepared formula for our bottles. I would be scared to add much more, as that was very near to the top of the pitcher.
Just keep in mind that the 30 ounces you get off 26 ounces water is still only 26 ounces in respect to calories. This is really important to keep in mind when the pediatrician asks how much your baby is eating.

I used to put 24 ounces in and make six four-ounce bottles. However, each bottle would fill to look like nearly five ounces in each bottle. The baby is still only eating 4 ounces of formula, though.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar

Just keep in mind that the 30 ounces you get off 26 ounces water is still only 26 ounces in respect to calories. This is really important to keep in mind when the pediatrician asks how much your baby is eating.

I used to put 24 ounces in and make six four-ounce bottles. However, each bottle would fill to look like nearly five ounces in each bottle. The baby is still only eating 4 ounces of formula, though.
This is not true. The calorie content is measured as prepared. If you are mixing it according to directions it is 20 cal/oz. the powdered formula adds volume and if the baby eats 5 ounces in a bottle it IS counted as 5 ounces. Not sure where you got that info from.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote