Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
drea2281
Registered Users

My Mood:
Organic formula: Earths Best vs Babys Only

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two formulas after reading more about them. My concern is that Earth's Best uses Hexane to extract DHA but is eitherwise organic in other aspects. Baby's Only seems to be the most purely organic, does not use Hexane to extract DHA, but the formula is labeled as "toddler formula". I've read that it provides the appropriate nutrition for infants but that the company highly recommends breastfeeding and therefore does not want to label the formula as an infant formula to deter moms from giving formula instead of breast. I don't know if this is just marketing bs or if it's really a well intention message that the company wants to promote. Anyone used Baby's Only on their less than 1 year babies and what have you experienced?

Advertisement

drea2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
SFNanny
Registered Users

Re: Organic formula: Earths Best vs Babys Only

We have used both. Baby didnt end up doing well on Babys Only so we switched full time to EB. For future foster baby we plan to start with Baby's only and switch if baby doesnt do well. Even if we are placed with a newborn. Its all marketing, it is the same nutrition as all the others.
SFNanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

I would stick to EB due to the arsenic concerns with brown rice syrup, which is a main ingredient in Baby's Only.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Kyonarai
Registered Users
seller

I had a bad experience with baby's only formula. It turned my then 16 month old's poop black from the overdose of iron and she got a bad bacterial infection in her gut shortly thereafter that lasted two weeks. She was pooping horrible stringy yellow poop every 5 to 30 minutes for over a week there at the end, and there was nothing the hospital could do for her other than tell me to keep giving her pedialyte and bland foods and wait it out.
In their defense, she had just weaned off of breastmilk, so it might be that it was just too much after only having breast milk or raw cows milk for so long, but I certainly wont be trying it again if I have to wean early again or can't BF for whatever reason. And she was also reliably eating several meals of solids a day at the time, so I thought it wouldn't effect her so badly.
Kyonarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
I would stick to EB due to the arsenic concerns with brown rice syrup, which is a main ingredient in Baby's Only.
There is more recent info regarding this on their website.

We use Baby's Only and like it!
Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

We supplemented with Baby's Only starting at a few weeks old. DD handled it fine, we were giving her a bottle or two a day of it. I researched about the "Toddler Formula" label and felt comfortable with it. I chose BO because I don't like the sweeteners used in other formulas.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Smitty241
Registered Users
seller

I was just coming to post this exact same question about Baby's Only! My LO is 5 months old. I mainly breastfeed, but give the occasional bottle of formula. Right now we use Earth's Best and she seems to love it. I was thinking about trying Baby's Only because of the Hexane issue, but was concerned about the toddler label as well. But the reviews seem pretty mixed here. Since I know she likes EB, maybe I'll just get another can of that to last us until Christmas when a friend of mine from Europe is bringing me some Holle.
Smitty241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
chanhar
Registered Users

I am about to switch from EB to Baby's only because of the DHA and ARA in EB being made from something crazy...hopefully baby likes it...or at least doesn't not like it. I did a lot of research. It seems the arsenic issue with BO has been resolved. It seems like with formulas, there just isn't a perfect one
chanhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought Hippe Organic on Amazon, it's made in Germany so no GMOs and other crap that is in American formula. I have to use up the can of Good Start before a month is up, but then I'll open the Hippe and see how it goes.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
mansikka
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm curious to research Hippe! We alternate between EB and BO... In theory I prefer BO but I can't buy it in a store so if we don't time shipping right, we end up buying EB. She has no issues with either...
mansikka is offline   Reply With Quote