Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Plans to bottle-fed? Formula from the start?

So here's why...I'm expecting #6. I briefly bf'd #1...then successfully bf'd #2-5. But, #5 is just now weaning. And #6 is welcome, but came earlier than expected . My kids have all been about 2 years or less apart. So, basically I've been pregnant or nursing for a while now. I'm just thinking about FF'd from the start simply to give me a break and so others can pitch in and help (like DH who did a TON when #1 was FF'd , but can't when I BF'd). I feel a little guilty for thinking it, but it also makes me feel a bit free? And a takes A LOT of the burden off of me alone. I KNOW the benefits...I also know my first survived and thrived on FF just like the rest of my kiddos have! So, just poking around here for feedback and thoughts. No real decision, just thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Plans to bottle-fed? Formula from the start?

I can imagine that you are overwhelmed at this point! With my first I bf for 6 months and then ff until 1. Got pregnant and bf only in the hospital and for a couple of weeks at home and the ff from then on. You are 100% right it is definitely easier to bottle feed because others can help. But some things are easier with breastfeeding. You can't forget your boobs, but you can forget a pacifier, bottle etc. it takes them forever to be able to hold a bottle on their own so you are still kind of tied to them.

Just some food for thought and some things you might have forgotten since your first was formula fed. Congrats on your 6th! I've kind of been "following" you because you responded to my question about having multiple csections. Hope you and baby are happy and healthy!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

I'm a hardcore lactivist, never gave my kids a bottle, and breastfed for 2.5+ years, and even I'll say it:

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH FORMULA FEEDING. If your body needs a break and if it's what's best for your family, there's nothing at all wrong with starting out with formula. You'll still be an awesome mom and you'll still have a healthy baby. But if you end up having a premie or a baby with health problems, you might want to consider keeping the option open to breastfeed for a day or two (or even use donor milk) in case your baby really needs the colostrum.
MamaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that moms sometimes judge ourselves too much. I Bf my son till 5 months, but a combination of things didn't work for us. I went back to work, he had health issues, i was a single mom so endless stress, plus stress form work and his health. My body literally gave up. He was a huge baby and my body just could not do it. In my heart and mind i wanted it but i just couldn't do it. I have had guilt his entire life about this..maybe if i got more help from a lactation consultant, maybe if i had not listened when the doctors(both mine and his) said that they felt supplementing formula would help the both of us. So my only advice is we do the best we can, with the situation we are in. You know what is possible and what isn't for you.
I'm pregnant and plan to BF hopefully longer this time. I also bought a deep freezer so that i can start pumping early on and saving it. Then if my body gives out (although life is a whole different story this time, i should be able to stay home longer, have a supportive partner) i will have a back up to last a little bit and won't have to do only formula. Maybe pumping would allow more family to help you and it wouldn't feel so overwhelming. Regardless of what others say i just wanted to say trust your body and offer support.
MommaMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
I can imagine that you are overwhelmed at this point! With my first I bf for 6 months and then ff until 1. Got pregnant and bf only in the hospital and for a couple of weeks at home and the ff from then on. You are 100% right it is definitely easier to bottle feed because others can help. But some things are easier with breastfeeding. You can't forget your boobs, but you can forget a pacifier, bottle etc. it takes them forever to be able to hold a bottle on their own so you are still kind of tied to them.

Just some food for thought and some things you might have forgotten since your first was formula fed. Congrats on your 6th! I've kind of been "following" you because you responded to my question about having multiple csections. Hope you and baby are happy and healthy!

Thanks mama! I appreciate your honest response and yes this will be my 6th (yikes) C/S! I very nervous about this one...I have to find a new OB my old one moved and he delivered my last 4! If you join the FB group moms of many and/or large families if you are on FB there are more moms with multiple C/S if you want to hear from others and would enjoy those groups? How many C/S have you had (totally off topic)!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMuffin View Post
I'm a hardcore lactivist, never gave my kids a bottle, and breastfed for 2.5+ years, and even I'll say it:

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH FORMULA FEEDING. If your body needs a break and if it's what's best for your family, there's nothing at all wrong with starting out with formula. You'll still be an awesome mom and you'll still have a healthy baby. But if you end up having a premie or a baby with health problems, you might want to consider keeping the option open to breastfeed for a day or two (or even use donor milk) in case your baby really needs the colostrum.

I haven't totally shut the door in the option. And there's a chance I'll have a premie this time and things would be totally different then. Thanks for the words if encouragement!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMarty View Post
I think that moms sometimes judge ourselves too much. I Bf my son till 5 months, but a combination of things didn't work for us. I went back to work, he had health issues, i was a single mom so endless stress, plus stress form work and his health. My body literally gave up. He was a huge baby and my body just could not do it. In my heart and mind i wanted it but i just couldn't do it. I have had guilt his entire life about this..maybe if i got more help from a lactation consultant, maybe if i had not listened when the doctors(both mine and his) said that they felt supplementing formula would help the both of us. So my only advice is we do the best we can, with the situation we are in. You know what is possible and what isn't for you.
I'm pregnant and plan to BF hopefully longer this time. I also bought a deep freezer so that i can start pumping early on and saving it. Then if my body gives out (although life is a whole different story this time, i should be able to stay home longer, have a supportive partner) i will have a back up to last a little bit and won't have to do only formula. Maybe pumping would allow more family to help you and it wouldn't feel so overwhelming. Regardless of what others say i just wanted to say trust your body and offer support.

Thank u mama! I've thought about pumping, but then there's pumping AND feeding which takes a lot of time...and thank u for reminding me of the good. I even texted DH tonight and asked him if I would be a bad mom if I decided to do formula...so u hit the nail on the head with the guilt thing.
T

Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Amandamama
Registered Users

I've done both for my bio kiddos.
We are also foster parents and I've formula fed several happy healthy foster babies since there is no other (legal at least) option. It's okay. They're fine. It's fine. Really

Although washing bottles, making bottles up, buying formula (so expensive if you don't get WIC), is a hassle too. But it IS nice that other people can feed baby, I agree.
Good luck!
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamama View Post
I've done both for my bio kiddos.
We are also foster parents and I've formula fed several happy healthy foster babies since there is no other (legal at least) option. It's okay. They're fine. It's fine. Really

Although washing bottles, making bottles up, buying formula (so expensive if you don't get WIC), is a hassle too. But it IS nice that other people can feed baby, I agree.
Good luck!

Thanks mama! I know it can sometimes be a hassle...I'm weighing my options...but just wanted feedback and suggestions and support which I have gotten here thanks a bunch!

Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

It's totally a personal decision. People act like formula is so evil or if we don't BF then were lazy or don't love our kids. But if you need a break by all means TAKE A BREAK!! Your kids need a well rested sane mother more than they need breast milk. I breasted my two older children and am planing on bf this new one but if I feel worn out I would not beat myself up about a bottle of formula here and there or completely switching to formula. A well rested loving mom is important!