Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
lagoon66
Registered Users
seller
seller

CONSTANT Eating - When will it end?

My 3 week old will not stop eating. For the last few days he eats around the clock during the day - if I'm lucky he'll fall asleep for a few minutes (maybe 10-20) and I can actually get up off the couch to pee or eat food. His latch seems great and I'm confident he's getting milk. What is this? A growth spurt? When will it end! Will it end??? I feel like a prisoner and it's a little depressing

Advertisement

lagoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
tess1026
Registered Users

Re: CONSTANT Eating - When will it end?

Deep Breath Mama! It will end. Sounds like a growth spurt. My ds is 11 weeks old and we've had the same thing happen twice now. My LC said he was preparing his milk for what he needed and it would last 3-5 days. It ended as quickly as it started.

Good Luck!

Vickie
tess1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 6m old still eats every two hours during the day. Around 3m I was able to start having a few minutes if me time again. It does get easier!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
lagoon66
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks Mamas! This helps me feel more 'normal'. I would kill to go 2 hours with him off my boob right now...he literally eats for 20 minutes, sleeps for 5, then eats again for the last 8 hours. It's a little insane. Guess it makes sense he is helping to 'prepare' my body for making more milk that he'll need.
lagoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
leeleeche
Registered Users

It will end! My kids were both epic nursers. They could nurse non stop if I let them. It gets better though. Hang in there!
leeleeche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My DS nursed all day everyday for the first 3 months, it gets better with time. There is nothing wrong, it's normal for some babies.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

It's probably a growth spurt but if it's not ended in a few days perhaps consider that he's not actively eating but just comforting himself. Sometimes I would compress my breasts to get more milk to come faster to remind my dd's what the goal was!!

Many people are fine letting their babies nurse for comfort but I was in agony and it was driving me insane so I offered a soother after a feed. If she was actually still hungry she used to spit it out and scream but often it worked well. dd1 was a very 'sucky' baby. dd2 found her thumb and never took a soother.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
angelaw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This was 7wk old ds the past few dats. Dh is away for work right now, and I have another child to tend to. I was in tears last night because I couldnt get a break.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both my babies were like this. My first one nursed every 2 hours (or more) 24/7 until he was at least 18 months. My second one is much better and gives me longer breaks. It will get better. Usually the first 6 weeks are the hardest, then things get much better after that.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS did the same thing. We went to visit friends and DS spent the ENTIRE time attached to my boob. I had to promise our pregnant friend that it wasn't like this everyday (she wants to BF) and he'd eat that much if he was on formula too. One day, it's going to hit you that it's better. DS used to take a million tries to latch, then one day, I realized he was a pro and had been for weeks.

Last edited by cherrycoke; 09-07-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: grammar
cherrycoke is offline   Reply With Quote