Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
krayziaa
Registered Users

Unhappy Refuses to BF?!?

Sorry in advance for the vent...

I'm going crazy. My LO is 7 weeks old, and still will not BF. I can sit with him for hours screaming, but he wants nothing to do with the boob. Even my midwife gave up. I purchased a nipple shield, which he will grab hold of occasionally, but never actually drinks much from. So I am pumping what seems like a billion times a day to fill bottles because I can fight with him all day long and he wont latch onto anything but a bottle. Then to top it off everyone who sees me with a "new baby" has to talk about breast feeding and I don't even want to go there. I just want to hide and cry.

How is breast feeding so natural? How is it enjoyable? To me this is a depressing hell.

Advertisement

krayziaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Refuses to BF?!?

I am an expert by no means, but wanted to throw a few things out there (and others please chime in if this would do more harm than good)-

-Maybe try when your LO is mostly full and has more patience?
-What about using a SNS so your LO is getting a good flow of milk?

Oh, and HUGS. Giant hugs. BF is sometimes just hard work- not like it's made out to be.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

mama is he calm and happy when you are trying to get him to latch? for the first few weeks I had to sit on the edge of the bed and bounce DD to get her to latch and then I had to walk around and kinda bounce to get her to stay on and actually nurse. I'm so sorry you and babe are having a hard time, try to stay positive and check with your pedi about seeing a lactation consultant, also see if you have a La Leche League that meets close to you.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you seen an IBCLC? She may have other ideas that you and your midwife haven't thought of. Here's the link to the IBCLC directory: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

There's this concept called Finish at the Breast: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml Basically the idea is that you feed baby with a bottle first and then put baby to the breast for a more relaxed feeding experience.

Finally, sometimes baby has a hard time nursing because of neck or head pain from the birth or the way he was lying in utero. Sometimes a cranio sacral therapist or a pediatric chiropractor can help with that. Those techniques are very gentle.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Bf is natural, bottles are not. I'm being blunt here, was a bottle given before he refused to nurse? You didn't give many details, but yes, even a single bottle can cause nipple confusion, each and every bottle given after only makes it worse. I pumped for four and a half years, and no one, not even Dr. Jack Newman was able to get my daughter to nurse. Kellymom.com has some great info on nipple confusion.

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I'm sorry your having so much trouble with breast feeding. My suggestion is to switch him to cup or syringe feeding. Pump enough to get the milk to let down before attempting to breast feed him.Then when he is calm and happy let him try to latch on but at the same time put a syringe in the corner of his mouth so he is getting some reward for his troubles. As soon as he starts getting too upset I would stop for the moment. You want him to associate breast feeding with pleasant feelings. Keep trying most babies do eventually get the idea. But if he doesn't, remember you did your best for him and gave him breast milk for as long as you could.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen
Bf is natural, bottles are not. I'm being blunt here, was a bottle given before he refused to nurse? You didn't give many details, but yes, even a single bottle can cause nipple confusion, each and every bottle given after only makes it worse. I pumped for four and a half years, and no one, not even Dr. Jack Newman was able to get my daughter to nurse. Kellymom.com has some great info on nipple confusion.

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

She's absolutely right. Maybe a bottle was given too quickly early on. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but each and every bottle makes it worse at this point. I would quit the bottle and pacifier (if you're using one), and feed him by spoon, cup, syringe, possibly an sns. I'm sure you are very frustrated especially at this point. Try nursing in warm baths, wear baby skin to skin, as much skin to skin contact as possible. Express a little milk with him on your chest so he can smell it, maybe rub some on his lips/tounge, etc. You aren't going to be able to get him to the breast in a day or two, but be patient and persistent, kick those bottles, and it WILL happen! Good Luck to you Mama!!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My daughter got 1 bottle a day starting at 4 weeks, and she still nurses just fine at 8 months when she's home with me. My older daughter was a NICU baby who got a bottle 1st and never learned to nurse. I tried for 2 months to get her to but it was only stressing us all out, so we stopped. Is it possible something else is wrong? Is baby tongue tied? Could he have reflux? Have you tried laying down? Even with my BF baby the 1st 6 weeks was a constant struggle. Just because it's the natural way to feed doesn't mean it comes easy to all mamas and babysitter!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Ahhh mamas and babys I meant :P
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Ahh meant babies :P