Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

When is enough enough?

DS is two months old today, and I think we are done breastfeeding. I have tried mothers milk tea, fenugreek, blessed thistle, more,milk plus, and reglan trying to keep an adequate supply. DS had a severe lip and tongue tie we had fixed at six weeks. My nipples still have not healed for the amount of trauma he did. He nurses every hour and a half during the day for 45 minutes to an hour, then requires supplement. At night he goes 3 hours. I thought the tongue tie repair would improve things, we even went four days with no supplements, only to have my period return and tank my supply. DH is supportive, but he works 12-16 hour days and is only with us an hour tops during the week. DS barely has time to play during the day because his day is spent trying to get enough to eat. I am at the point where all I feel like to my son is a dairy cow. I can't run errands because halfway through the grocery store he is screaming to nurse. I wish I could just nurse part time but I know that isn't physically possible. If I miss a dose of supplements within an hour or two my milk is virtually gone. DS is so frustrated at the breast, I am frustrated and at my wits ends. Am I wrong to think that switching him to formula would allow me to function a lot better, and let me be a better mother and a wife to my family?

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Not at all. If neither you or baby is happy, then why push it? Baby at least got some antibodies from you. I FF my 1st and BF my 2nd, there are pros and cons both ways. You have to do what's right for you.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you tell me the cons to formula feeding? I just want to make an informed choice before I let my milk dry up?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When is enough enough?

Hugs to you. I have been there and asked myself that same question. Due to a lot of issues, which I've gone into in other posts, I am about 50-50 FF/BF, but we do mostly bottles, so most breastmilk she gets is in a bottle anyway, with some nursing at night. I am weaning myself off the amount of pumping I do, because I got to the point where enough was enough (I had been pumping about 8 times a day). Good luck with your decision making - only you can decide what the right decision is for you and your family. But I wouldn't underestimate the amount that your happiness and well-being should be weighed into the decision. Sure, breastmilk is the best food for babies, but a stressed out mama isn't great either, know what I mean? That's the point I got to - I had to pump, but baby was crying and wanted to be held - more important for me to pump her milk or hold and comfort her? That helped make my decision easier, because I knew it was more important for me to be holding her.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

This same thing happened with my first baby, he was tounge tide so I feel your pain. It was the most horrible & stressful experience of my life. If he does better on a bottle put him on a bottle. Even when their tounge gets clipped they still have trouble latching on correctly & bottles are just easier. You can still bond & enjoy your baby bottle feeding. I've nursed all 4 of my babies for different time periods. If your not enjoying it & are stressed so will the baby. It's better for everyone to be relaxed & happy
~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cons to formula for me - you feel like you are always washing bottles. Also, you have to be prepared when you go out with bottles and formula. With my first three, I liked not having to pack that kind of stuff- I could just go. Also, formula smells bad and stains. And the cost! That's the other reason I've been holding onto pumping for so long - it takes time, but the milk is free!

DD3 could care less though. She drinks formula and pumped milk the same.

Last edited by mmm0302; 09-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.
mmm0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Cons of formula:
Expensive-a young baby will go through a can or more a week at $25-$30 a can.
Bottles-you have to find what baby likes. With my LO we had 12 bottles and I had to hand wash every day or buy more.
Going out-must have enough formula and access to water or bring it with you.
Pros-longer time between feeding. Others can feed -my mom spent the night a few times so we slept while she fed baby at night. My FF baby slept through the night sooner, too

Hope that helps!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
amgermain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Cons of formula:
Expensive-a young baby will go through a can or more a week at $25-$30 a can.
Bottles-you have to find what baby likes. With my LO we had 12 bottles and I had to hand wash every day or buy more.
Going out-must have enough formula and access to water or bring it with you.
Pros-longer time between feeding. Others can feed -my mom spent the night a few times so we slept while she fed baby at night. My FF baby slept through the night sooner, too

Hope that helps!
You can find cheaper formulas if you use the store brand. We used Enfamil with DD1 and it was $35 for a large can. We're using the Walmart brand Parent's Choice (basically generic Similac) with DD2 after our own BF'ing struggles, and it's $17 for the same size can as the Enfamil was.

The cons that everyone else has listed are pretty much it, though. I feel like I'm always washing bottles, formula smells bad, it stains. You have to find bottles the baby will like. But having a happy momma and happy baby was so much more important to me than making sure DD2 had breast milk. Good luck!
amgermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I decided to stop all the supplements and let nature take its course. He can have my milk as a supplement to his formula. I am already having to tote bottles and formula, and washing bottles on top of having marathon nursing sessions multiple times a day. When my milk dries up that will just be the.way it is. Thank you mamas for reassuring me that this is an okay decision.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you just assuming you are not making enough milk because of his frequent nursing? Nursing tons doesn't mean you are not making enough milk if he is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers.

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos