Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oversupply Question

So I know under-supply really sucks, but oversupply can be bad too. I don't mind the leaking or overly full breasts (not too much anyways) but it hurts my son. He gets mainly foremilk, which has more lactose. His little body can't break it all down & it ferments in his intestines. This causes gas, cramps, and pain (as shown by hours of screaming). Colic ease gripe water was helping,but now it takes more and more gripe water and he's still in pain.

I've tried block feeding, multiple times. Block feeding for 4 hours as recommended by an IBCLC, block feeding for more than 12 hours, ect. That just isn't working for us. I've given it a fair go (like a month). Currently I am pumping out ounces & ounces of foremilk before feeds, but this is just going to make the problem worse. And it keeps me tied to a pump.

Any suggestions? I would love to be able to take something to dry me up a little, but I am worried that it would take away all the milk. Weaning at 3 months is not what I have in mind!!

Advertisement

NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

What do his stools look like? What makes you think it's lactose that's causing him problems? Does he spit up often? If so what does it look like? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get more info.

Last edited by Connor; 09-08-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do you know he's only getting foremilk and thats whats causing him pain? I'm pretty sure mostly foremilk=green poo.??? What are his stools like?

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stop ALL pumping. It will only make it worse. That is the first step to decreasing your supply. Have you considered food allergy issues. Cut out dairy, soy, wheat? One at a time. If you need to, when your let down starts take him off and let the milk drip/spray into a cloth. Good luck! It will get easier.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7
Stop ALL pumping. It will only make it worse. That is the first step to decreasing your supply. Have you considered food allergy issues. Cut out dairy, soy, wheat? One at a time. If you need to, when your let down starts take him off and let the milk drip/spray into a cloth. Good luck! It will get easier.
Hehe, great minds must think alike. I'm thinking these things too!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma
How do you know he's only getting foremilk and thats whats causing him pain? I'm pretty sure mostly foremilk=green poo.??? What are his stools like?

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos
This is what I'm thinking,
Old 09-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Re: Oversupply Question

Same boat, and if I don't pump, I will get mastitis (even with precautions ) Right now I have it under control by only feeding off of one breast and pumping the other, I KNOW this is not a good idea, I'm trying to add one or more feeding to the other breast throughout the day, it's harder than you'd think So, I keep my supply up on my other breast with pumping, and I donate all of it, while nursing my baby off of the other one with no pumping. Where it's not ideal, I am very honored to share a gift in my woes of oversupply.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poop: green and lots of mucus. I meant to put that in the original post

He rarely spits up & when he does it's what i've seen when any other baby spits up: white, milky looking

As far as food allergies, I did cut out all milk products for a week. There was no improvement. As far as soy: I rarely eat soy, but recently I have been eating at a friends house a lot and she always has tofu, soy sauce ect. and the "colic" (I hate that word, sorry). The pain is no worse. It might be a little better (very little though). I haven't tried cutting out wheat yet. What are all of the names that wheat goes by on ingredient lists?

I think that it's lactose causing problems because of the stools, plus that's what the pedi NP who is an IBCLC said it was, and it was in the womanly art of breastfeeding, and we talked about it at my LLL meeting.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Same boat, and if I don't pump, I will get mastitis (even with precautions ) Right now I have it under control by only feeding off of one breast and pumping the other, I KNOW this is not a good idea, I'm trying to add one or more feeding to the other breast throughout the day, it's harder than you'd think So, I keep my supply up on my other breast with pumping, and I donate all of it, while nursing my baby off of the other one with no pumping. Where it's not ideal, I am very honored to share a gift in my woes of oversupply.
I too am thinking about donating. How do you deal with being tied to the pump? Is your baby doing now that he/she is only on 1 breast?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMommy6111
Poop: green and lots of mucus. I meant to put that in the original post

He rarely spits up & when he does it's what i've seen when any other baby spits up: white, milky looking

As far as food allergies, I did cut out all milk products for a week. There was no improvement. As far as soy: I rarely eat soy, but recently I have been eating at a friends house a lot and she always has tofu, soy sauce ect. and the "colic" (I hate that word, sorry). The pain is no worse. It might be a little better (very little though). I haven't tried cutting out wheat yet. What are all of the names that wheat goes by on ingredient lists?

I think that it's lactose causing problems because of the stools, plus that's what the pedi NP who is an IBCLC said it was, and it was in the womanly art of breastfeeding, and we talked about it at my LLL meeting.
Green stools would indicate that he's getting more foremilk than hindmilk. However, if he were truly allergic to lactose he would be FTT. Ifb he is gaining well then that wouldn't be a problem. My DS cried all.the.time until he was 3 months old then it slowly got better. He is still very high needs at almost 2. So, it could just be normal for him, doesn't mean you can't try different things in hopes of improvement. Hope things get better soon