Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Minimalist LUNCH PACKING???

Each of my older kids has a bulky lunch box. Dd has a Green LunchBox, ds has a Stainless EcoLunchbox, and dd2 has a baby bento box. I'd like to sell all three because they are SUPER BULKY to store.

I love plastic baggis because they take up zero room, but I'd like to be more green than t hat!

I'm thinking:
1 Bumkins sandwich bag (4.95)
2 Bumkins snack bags (6.95)
1 screwtop jar (I really want a Thermos insulated jar 14.00 but a plastic jar for 50 cents would be ok)
Lunchbag

Reuseable Ziplock divided lunchboxes would be good for sometimes, too. Those nest, so storage would be ok.

If I buy reuseable lunch bags that can store flat, then this setup would be easy to store.

I also want a larger bag/ cooler to carry snacks for our long afternoons of running around.

I'm pretty broke, though....

How do you do minimalist lunch packing/ snack toting while still being green?

THANKS for sharing!!!

Advertisement

momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Minimalist LUNCH PACKING???

You have to think about the kinds of lunches you send. Snack bags instead of a box make sense if you send foods not likely to squish or leak. The jar, I assume, is for wet foods? But does all that really take up less space than a lunch box? What about drinks?

The Ziploc divided containers are great. That's probably what I would do before investing in a bunch of bags. One piece, nests, leak-proof.

I have a Thermos insulated funtainer and it is quite bulky. I love it, though.

Lunch packing isn't an area I'm totally minimal because if I limit my options, I limit the variety of lunches I can send. I have the Ziploc divided containers, a funtainer, a planet box, zippered snack bags, tiny tupperwares, 2 soft side lunch boxes and of course insulated drink containers. It looks like a lunch box aisle went off in the cupboard. But I use all of it, so it stays. Sorry, I'm no help.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
D's has one of those lunch bags from target that are made if scuba suit material. The handle has a clip so I hang it on the fridge door. And we have a Ziploc divided rectangle container. Then I have the small dip cups that are dishwasher safe.
I make his lunch the night before, then before school pull it out of the fridge and put the divided container in the bag and clip his stainless water bottle to the bag.
If I get him a thermos, I will put that and the water bottle in the bag.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My experience comes from being in a classroom and also packing lunches for a few years, a bunch of small containers is a hassle. It's so much easier to open one lid and have access to all the food. We use Easy Lunchboxes, they look like this:
My kids each have a lunch box. I pack the easy lunchboxes container and throw in a drink and it's done. I do have a shelf in one cabinet for lunches, it also includes a few small snack bags because my DD has to pack a separate snack, plus some fun shape cutters and food markers. I limit myself to that one shelf.
I've also minimized the different foods I pack but it works well because I'm able to pack it in different ways so the kids still feel like they get variety. Most ideas I get are from pinterest.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Liz N
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use silicone muffin cups in a shallow ziploc storage container. Sort of like a make my own divided container. It works well because it all nests and I am not limited by the size of a pre-determined compartment.
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
My experience comes from being in a classroom and also packing lunches for a few years, a bunch of small containers is a hassle. It's so much easier to open one lid and have access to all the food. We use Easy Lunchboxes, they look like this:
My kids each have a lunch box. I pack the easy lunchboxes container and throw in a drink and it's done. I do have a shelf in one cabinet for lunches, it also includes a few small snack bags because my DD has to pack a separate snack, plus some fun shape cutters and food markers. I limit myself to that one shelf.
I've also minimized the different foods I pack but it works well because I'm able to pack it in different ways so the kids still feel like they get variety. Most ideas I get are from pinterest.
I like the easy lunch boxes. They seem to be the simplest IMO. I'm not a big fan of snack bags because it doesn't seem like they can be cleaned as well. And I like the versatility of a container that will allow me to pack stuff other than sandwiches.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
photocat
Registered Users

We use these, nude food movers. In that picture, the two small containers fit in the far end of the big one, it doesn't show that too clearly. Not sure if they're available where you are and to be honest, I'm not a great fan of all the plastic but they're the best option for now.

I put them in an insulated bag with a freezy pack. Water bottle goes separately.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really like the ziploc divided containers. I think they are easy for little ones to use because they only have one thing to open. I've been sending ds's lunch to school for about two months now using one every day and love it. I rarely send sandwiches. They fit nicely in the rectangle thermos brand lunch bags with a frozen ice and a rubbermaid juice box. The rubbermaid juice box I ordered online because the shape/size would be perfect but I can't find them locally. I send water plus money for chocolate milk. His class also has you pack snack separate and I usually pick something I can put in a plastic baggie with his name. He did not love the idea of having two lunch boxes though many kids in his class do.
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
wife&mommy
Registered Users

We use Easy Lunchboxes. Love them.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Bmomma2C
Registered Users

My Mood:

We use Sistema boxes. They are some of the highest rated safe plastics and very affordable. TJMaxx has them often. I usually pack a cube for DH that has a sandwich size space on.one side that snaps.closed and a divided side attached that folds over.