Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #271
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetysonfamily View Post
I am so loving reading through this thread and seeing the beautiful photos, I decided to join in!

I don't know if this will work, because I can't figure out how to add albums here, but I decided to join in and make an album of our (minimalist) home. I'm still new to diaper swappers.

Here is the album:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/album.php?u=157019

I added captions to each picture, and got more verbose as I went along...

A little background: we are a happy family of six (soon to be seven!) who has lived in a small two-bedroom home for the last five years in the southwest US. We are relocating to SE Asia this summer, and I cannot wait for the moisture and green! I am also counting down the weeks until we are "just us" and our suitcases! We are not shipping a thing. I am not attached to my things at all (I grew up with a hoarder dad and wanted soooo far away from that as soon as I got out of the house!!), so it is very easy for me to be a "minimalist." I seem to be passing it on to my children as well, and I think my husband was just born that way, too.

So, this is our house before getting rid of everything! The main things I'll be taking overseas are cloth diapers and homeschooling books (we use a literature-based curriculum...tricky when moving a lot but so far we are making it work!). Just to be real, all the kids were at their Granny's down the street, so that is why there are no children and their activities about! I thought it was a good time to get pics.

Also, I have been VERY sick this pregnancy, and let me tell you, it is a blessing beyond measure to have little to clean up. My oldest boys (10 & 6) can clean the ENTIRE house for me, no problem, and the 4 and 1 year olds are already good at helping. (My 10-year-old is an amazing bathroom cleaner...and he volunteers to do it a lot, knowing I have to go get sick in there often!) I believe this is another huge benefit to minimalism. Of course, this way of life has to line up with your priorities or else you'll be beating yourself in the head...ours are relationships, God and travel. So it is not hard for us to make the choices to have little. Our children happily play outside mostly and all love to read/look at books. We also love singing together.

Just hoped to add further inspiration/ideas for those on the fence or trying to purge. If you have any questions, I am only an expert on my own life, but I love to help if I can!

Blessings to all!!!
Your home is lovely. Where did you get your shower curtain? I am in need of a new one & yours is perfect!

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Advertisement

Last edited by P!nkPepper; 03-17-2013 at 04:01 PM.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #272
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessreichenbach
I broke down and took the utterly embarassing pictures of about half of my home. the rest I'll do in the following days. But this has been an ongoing problem for me and my family for the past 8 years (since we started having babies!!) any help, support, Ideas, or words of encouragement would always be appreciated!
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1500829
Oh, don't be so hard on yourself! Seriously!! You are obviously taking steps by getting involved here and asking for help, support, etc. You are well on your way!!

Your kids' rooms look pretty cleaned out to me!

My encouragement to you would be to first start on clothing...from your description of your home, this is the most frustrating area for you. It looks like maybe y'all have too many clothes? We keep it down to seven outfits each, give or take a few based on season and age, but this helps immensely with the laundry. I am not good at laundry, it overwhelms me too, so to keep it down we just don't have many clothes. I HAVE to make sure it gets done that way and we don't end up with laundry mountains!

If you want more specific steps about paring down clothing or laundry tips, I'm happy to give it, but only if you want it!

Remember, mama, you are taking steps that will help you and your family and your general feelings toward your home...this is great! Blessings!!!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #273
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19

Your home is lovely. Where did you get your shower curtain? I am in need of a new one & yours is perfect!

Thank you! Shower curtain: I actually found that one at Walmart! We had an awesome world map one that I loved (and everyone who came over would comment on it, too!) and my kids actually learned a ton from it, but I couldn't find the same one again after years and years when we finally wore it out. I had a plain one til I found this one that I really liked.
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #274
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetysonfamily View Post

Thank you! Shower curtain: I actually found that one at Walmart! We had an awesome world map one that I loved (and everyone who came over would comment on it, too!) and my kids actually learned a ton from it, but I couldn't find the same one again after years and years when we finally wore it out. I had a plain one til I found this one that I really liked.
Thanks for the reply! I will check Walmart. I am so picky about shower curtains & when we moved my DH left ours at our old house. We moved 500 miles away & I left with the kids first before the movers came. He left a whole mess of stuff behind but in his defense, we were at weight limit. Mostly appliances & furniture though.

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #275
coconutsnbananas
Registered Users

Re: pictures of minimalists homes

I found this "series" - http://minimalismissimple.com/category/decor. Just an idea.
coconutsnbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #276
Gracermom
Registered Users
seller

I have found my peeps - I think I have naturally been pretty minimal except on certain things - what to do about those collections.
Gracermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #277
green_momma2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are a few pictures of the home we bought last year. We are not living there yet, we just go up every month or so, so it's easy to keep decluttered right now. My goal is to not take anything that I don't absolutely love. Eventually there will be more things, but I hope to keep it as streamlined and simple as possible, yet homey at the same time.

Here is the kitchen/dining. We have a separate dining but we are going to use that as a library. I really like the homey feeling of eating in the kitchen. The table was a craigslist find for FREE.

This is our living/family room. The dear head is from my uncle who hunted it in North Carolina. It freaked me out at first, but I really like it because we have deer on our property practically every day so it's like a nice tribute to them.

This is the room that will eventually be a library.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #278
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Green, I LOVE it!!!!! So jealous! I looove the lodge look!!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #279
green_momma2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Green, I LOVE it!!!!! So jealous! I looove the lodge look!!
Thank you, it's a work in progress. I want to replace all the tacky mobile home trim with real crown molding. We also plan on puting up walls on either side of the fireplace and replaceing the blue formica mantle with an actual wooden mantle. And paint the kitchen and replace the hardware.